Grado SR325... now what?
Apr 4, 2011 at 12:34 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

rockrabbit

New Head-Fier
Greetings

After being a long time lurker, I think it's time I ask this question to the Grado lovers..

I have the original SR325's and love them...

The 325's have had two updates since and it has gotten me wondering if it is time to upgrade..

With that said, does it make sense to upgrade to the SR325is or is that a side step?

Should I instead be looking at the RS series?

Thanks

Apr 4, 2011 at 4:04 PM Post #3 of 5
Well are you satisfied with your Grados? What do you like and don't like about the 325's? From what I've read, the new 325IS's are a tad bit too bright for most people (although the venting mod could help balance the bass).

Apr 4, 2011 at 9:45 PM Post #4 of 5

Quote:
from what ive read the original 325s are pretty good headphones and the newer sets might not be on par with the original 325s. I dont know for sure though.

Yes, they are quite good - in regards to the upper frequencies.  Way too many people comment on the brightness of the Grados.  However, my "vintage" SR325 pair have a very pleasant upper end.  In fact, I've read in many threads where the "i" series was supposed to tame the highs a bit.  However, when I bought a pair of SR225i headphones over a month ago, they had more sparkle on the upper end than my SR325 model does.  One thing thing, though, regarding the original SR325, the cable thickness isn't nearly as robust as the newer "i" series.  

Some possible upgrades to consider:

1) Performing the driver modification by drilling 10 holes in the backs of each driver to open them up a bit.

2) Possibly, a better cable upgrade.

3) Consider some wooden "liners" for your SR325 headphones to replace the stock plastic liners.  See the SR60 Headphone mod thread for more information on this.  Bilavideo is making me a set of liners that I'll be installing and providing an objective overview of once I get them and install them.

4) Consider buying some Dynamat or blue tack to adhere to the magnet on the back of the driver.

Aside from that, the upgrades should be relatively cheap - and really put some new "life" into your vintage Grados.  I wouldn't consider selling them and moving on when upgrades can usually give you a better bang for your buck.  Spend the extra money that you would have applied on new headphones to purchase some more music to enjoy.

Apr 4, 2011 at 10:44 PM Post #5 of 5
Brightness and eardrum splintering sibilance are not that same thing. The new 325i and most of the higher end new grads have the later.  I was looking into some original rs-2 but that fell through although the rs-2i were quite nice with some sizzle in the treble but less so than the 80i's.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back