Grado SR225 or Grado SR325i
Jul 20, 2009 at 2:08 AM Post #31 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sakhai /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If anything at all, my SR60i is more accurate than the RS1, because it colors the sounds less. After intense critical listening on the RS1, I noticed that musical instruments no longer sounded right, because they color the sounds so much. And the SR60i is no match for the K702, as instruments sound as they should on the K702. I now question the ears of John Grado. I don't think he truly knows what he's doing. He's not a musician. He's audience. He doesn't hear the very subtle timbre of instruments. At least, he may know what he's doing, but the RS1 doesn't faithfully reproduce the correct sounds.

This is such crazy talk, I don't even know where to begin.
confused_face(1).gif

Jul 20, 2009 at 2:53 AM Post #32 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by TwoTrack /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This is such crazy talk, I don't even know where to begin.
confused_face(1).gif

Begin by listening to a wide array of instruments and comparing them to the original sound. If you don't know what certain instruments sound like, do your best. Perhaps speakers. Pay particular attention to the subtle muted/"warm" sound.

Jul 20, 2009 at 5:54 AM Post #33 of 43
Quote:

Where are you buying these? I want to buy a low end Grado and scrap everything except the drivers.

If you have an equalizer and want your SR80 to sound more like an RS1, try these preliminary settings:

31 Hz - up 4 decibels
62 - up 4 to 4.5
125 - up 3
250 - up 1-1.5
500 - up 1
1000 - no change
2000 - up 1 - 2
4000 - no change
8k - no change

That should at least give you an approximate sound balance across the range. The highs are a bit problematic because of the waves.

Interesting.

Jul 20, 2009 at 6:31 AM Post #34 of 43
Quote:

If you have an equalizer and want your SR80 to sound more like an RS1, try these preliminary settings:

31 Hz - up 4 decibels
62 - up 4 to 4.5
125 - up 3
250 - up 1-1.5
500 - up 1
1000 - no change
2000 - up 1 - 2
4000 - no change
8k - no change

That should at least give you an approximate sound balance across the range. The highs are a bit problematic because of the waves.

Interesting... where did you get these numbers? Headroom response curves? Your own personal preference? As someone who owns both SR-80 and RS-1, I might have to compare EQ'ed SR-80 and unEQ'ed RS-1 just out of curiosity...

Jul 21, 2009 at 3:41 AM Post #35 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by PuffyElvis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Accuracy and enjoyment are not the same thing. I wrote a very extensive review contrasting the ATH-AD2000's with the RS-1's. The ATH-AD2000's more accurately reproduced sounds but the Grado's were much more enjoyable to listen to. I sold the ATH-AD2000's and kept the Grados. I just found myself more emotionally evolved with the music when listening to the Grado's and have sold most of my headphones in favor of the Grados since.

This is a fascinating thread. Head-fi at its best. PuffyElvis, your profile indicates that you've sold off all your Grados and kept only the SR125. Is that right? Why did you keep that particular one, and what pads are you using? Thanks.

Jul 21, 2009 at 11:54 PM Post #38 of 43
love the silver cups over those gold ones

Jul 22, 2009 at 1:24 AM Post #39 of 43
I went from the SR-80's straight to the 325i's. Great upgrade and never had any regrets. It worked for me
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 22, 2009 at 3:10 AM Post #40 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by snakeeater69 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I pull the trigger and bought the SR325is for $180. I figure if isn't a vast improvement over the SR80i I could always ebay it and maybe make a few dollars while I'm at it.
tongue.gif

Yeah, if you won't like it, u can sell it to me... I'll buy it from u.
beyersmile.png

Jul 25, 2009 at 4:51 PM Post #42 of 43
Just got a pair of SR225s on my head and I'm amazed at how light and comfortable they are.

I first tried Grados SR80 and knew immediately I wanted higher up the chain. It helped that there was bad connection in the DIY recable job from where I bought them. I returned them to the seller and picked up MS2i, which sounded great, but were really heavy and uncomfortable. Eventually sold the MS2i and tried out some closed cans.

Anyway, back to the 225s and I think this is my Grado for comfort factor alone.

Aug 2, 2009 at 4:45 PM Post #43 of 43
I can certainly concur with the sound of the Grado 325is. They sound great. Very clear and transparent. However, they aren't comfortable cans, but I still have no regrets because of how good they sound.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back