Grado SR125i, or...?
Dec 29, 2010 at 10:08 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

loremipsum

1000+ Head-Fier
Hey Head-fi!
After my first foray into quality audio was a success, I've been looking into getting a pair of open headphones around the $150 mark to compliment my ATH-M50s. I did some looking around and it seems like my main contender is the 125i, but I've heard some complaints that Grados can be lacking in bass. I don't need a whole bunch of bass like the M50 has, but I'd like it to at least be present. Do you guys think the these would be good choices for me, or should I look elsewhere? Maybe something from Sennheiser?

P.S. - I won't be buying them for quite a while, I plan on first getting the FiiO E11 amp when it comes out before I grab another set of phones

Dec 30, 2010 at 12:46 AM Post #2 of 8
Honestly...I would go down or up a notch. Nothing wrong with the SR125 but I don't think it is worth $50 more than the SR80 but the SR225 is worth the $50 more than the SR125. Again...IMO. As far as bass...yeah...it's there. Controlled and punchy but not necessarily low and booming like you are probably getting with your M50, I mean that in a good way...not a bad boomy Beats way :D 

If you find that the bass is a little lacking there is a really simple mod that can be done to bring it up a notch or two and it is totally free. After doing the mod today...and seeing first hand how awesome it works...unless you are a basshead (not that there's anything wrong with that) there is no excuse for a Grado to not have enough bass to satisfy.

Dec 30, 2010 at 12:57 AM Post #3 of 8

There are a few quick-and-dirty ways to increase bass on lower end Grados. All of them will make the bass less clear to certain degrees.

• Electrical tape around the cushions (my personal favorite)
  • Reverse cushions (looks wierd and may likely sit wierd)
  • Use the yellow Senn 414 replacement pads
  • Use 414 pads and reverse them.

Other more involved or expensive methods:

• Take cups apart and poke additional holes in back of drivers to "vent" them
  • TTVJ flat pads

Dec 30, 2010 at 1:23 AM Post #4 of 8
Thanks for the input guys. I'll look into the 225i as well.
As for increasing bass: I don't really WANT as much bass as my M50 has. It's bass is great for most bass-heavy music, but sometimes I feel like the bass is too much depending on the genre. I'd like something where I can listen to some less bass-centric music without feeling like I have to EQ the lower frequencies down. If they're still too light on bass I'll try out some of the mods as well

Also, has anyone ever bought from this site?
http://www.tunetimestore.com/store.php/headphones/pd602805/_Prestige_Series_SR225i_Headphones_by_Grado

Dec 30, 2010 at 1:35 AM Post #5 of 8
The audio purist will argue on the other side, but a nice headphone amp like a M3 or something similar with bass boost can fill in the bass gaps quite nicely with Grado or any can open/close that may be bass anemic.

Dec 30, 2010 at 2:25 AM Post #6 of 8
FWIW I made the jump from Grado 80i's to 125i's  and I really do like them a lot better. Enough that I'd recommend them as a worthwhile step up at that price jump. Overall I found them to be smoother and more enjoyable even though the difference is only subtle to some. Maybe it's just my ears.

Also I may be wrong on this but I believe the differences between the two is greater with the new "improved" line than it was in the previous versions.

Just my opinion which I know is in the minority.

EDIT: oh yeah, I've been really happy with the bass in mine. And even more so after the "venting the drivers" mod.

Dec 30, 2010 at 2:47 AM Post #7 of 8

Quote:
FWIW I made the jump from Grado 80i's to 125i's  and I really do like them a lot better. Enough that I'd recommend them as a worthwhile step up at that price jump. Overall I found them to be smoother and more enjoyable even though the difference is only subtle to some. Maybe it's just my ears... Just my opinion which I know is in the minority.

The SR125 is sort of the middle child that's always being left out with SR80 on the bottom (no bowls with SR60) and SR225 at the top (before things get out of hand price wise). The SR125 is worth its price and sound wise IMO sits right smack between the SR80 and SR225 - which could be it's problem: people expect diminishing returns going up on the ladder, therefore the SR225 is the better value when you consider this. You can see what deals are currently available when making your decision; or you can just say "Fuggit, I'm getting the best Grados (SR225s) before the rip-off pricing structure goes into effect"

Quote:

As far as merchants - I prefer those that take CCs directly. You have very little recourse when something goes wrong when using PayPal. Even when you use your CC through PP, the CC companies will give you a hard time and ask you do deal with PP first. PayPay likes to advertise how well you are protected, etc., but it's just BS - just like how Hewlett Packard under Carly used to heavily advertise their slogan "Invent." Also PP is not a real financial institution, so you can't bring the power of the regulatory agencies, FDIC, Eric Holder, Obama, etc. to go to bat for you (and they will too, just that a lot of people don't know just how well protected they are.)

Dec 30, 2010 at 3:12 AM Post #8 of 8
I see. I've had some troubles in the past with Paypal as well and I don't use them anymore, so if that's the only method they accept I'll pass. I think what I'm going to do is wait for a deal to pop up on the 225i, and if I don't find one within a reasonable amount of time I'll just get the 125i. Thanks for all the insight guys.

Any other brands I might want to check out? I looked at Audio-technica but I hear that the AD700s bass is really lacking (on the same tier as the SR60), and the AD900 is out of my price range

Users who are viewing this thread

Back