Grado sr125i need some tips
Dec 29, 2010 at 7:47 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

crismac

New Head-Fier
Hi i bought a week ago a pair of these headphones and i'm very pleased but i notice that mid/high are too bright and with bad recording are a bit harsh and unpleasant. If i buy news pads like flats  i can avoid this sound so bright? . 
Last but not least i need an amp is this good Pro-Ject Head Box MKII? I can't spend more than 100 euros.

Dec 29, 2010 at 11:12 AM Post #2 of 9
I have the SR125 but not the latest iteration. I was initially "blown away" by the lively and seemingly transparent presentation of this phone. However, after living with it for a while I found it to be a bright and fatiguing headphone that I could only listen to for short periods.

It came with the "bowl" pads but I think the "i" version comes with "comfies" that actually cover the drivers. One would hope that might blunt the edge a little but not enough for your ears from what you're saying.

I'm not sure what options are available to you to tame the SR125(i)'s strident highs. Equalisation and amplification might help. There are Grado owners who have devised all manner of modifications for their phones. Hopefully they can chime in with some suggestions that may be of assistance. 

Dec 29, 2010 at 11:53 AM Post #3 of 9
Thanks for answer...so it's a problem not only for me. In the beggining i was very happy but now after a week i can only listen very good recording to appreciate grado sr125. My girlfriend want to kill me because is her gift for christmas. I hoped that a good amp can improve performances any advice at 100euros?

Dec 29, 2010 at 11:59 AM Post #4 of 9
Tube amps help tame the highs. EQing will help. There are some mods you can do as well. Grados are very good headphones with a superb clarity that IMO don't like poorly recorded music very much. I also found that the G-cushions cut some treble too...not sure how they work with the SR125 but I love them on my SR325's.

As far as an amp, you may be able to get a Little Dot 1+ for close to your budget. They are like $129 USD plus shipping from Hong Kong. There are used ones that come available as well usually for much less. That is all the amp experience I have but the LD1+ matches very well with Grados...not sure about the one you are asking about.

Dec 29, 2010 at 12:39 PM Post #5 of 9
Little dot I is very interesting but if i bought these amp i don't need any final amp? (sorry i'm not an expert) i only connect the amp to the cd player right? I know that the sound is different between different tubes wich i have to choose? Thanks 

Dec 29, 2010 at 2:25 PM Post #6 of 9
The Little Dot 1+ has RCA inputs so as long as your CD player has the appropriate outputs you are good to go. There are a few really good tube options for the Little Dot. The Sylvania GB-408A is probably the best, hardest to find, and most expensive. The Mullard EF91 seems to be a well regarded tube as well and is cheap and pretty easy to find.

Dec 29, 2010 at 3:25 PM Post #8 of 9
Yeah...I think as do many here that the Little Dots amps have a really great synergy with Grado. They are tough to beat at the price point. The only place I know of to order Little Dot amps is off ebay. Yeah...sounds odd, but that is where Little Dot does their business. The seller name will be davidzhezhe. Buying from him is buying direct from Little Dot. They ship from Hong Kong so getting one to Italy shouldn't be a problem.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back