Grado SR100.
Sep 17, 2011 at 1:46 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 41

TDL-speakers

100+ Head-Fier
Hello,

Do these have that nice ''fun'' boggie sound like the SR80? Or are they more ''grown up'' sounding?

What year did the SR100 discontinue in? And how much do they sell for?

Regards.

Sep 17, 2011 at 3:42 PM Post #2 of 41

Quote:
Hello,

Do these have that nice ''fun'' boggie sound like the SR80? Or are they more ''grown up'' sounding?

What year did the SR100 discontinue in? And how much do they sell for?

Regards.

There are two types of SR100 -or three if you consider the ones with red lettering a different type.
SR100 belongs to the first generation of SR series that came out when Joe Grado was still part of Grado Labs. It was their attempt to sell a cheaper version of Grado headphones to the mass public for domestic use, unlike the HP1000 which was made for studio monitoring. Some HP1000 drivers that did not make the grade for HP1,2 and 3 were used for the SR series in the early day before John got his own drivers.
SR100 with HP1000 drivers share the same sound signature with the SR200 and HP1000. They have the wider headband and most of them have red lettering.
The ones with the John Grado drivers have the "fun" boggie sound you described. My pair sounds similar to SR80 and 125 but slightly more mellow and less forward. They are collectors' items so it really depends on how much the buyers are willing to pay.

Sep 18, 2011 at 11:55 AM Post #3 of 41

Quote:
There are two types of SR100 -or three if you consider the ones with red lettering a different type.
SR100 belongs to the first generation of SR series that came out when Joe Grado was still part of Grado Labs. It was their attempt to sell a cheaper version of Grado headphones to the mass public for domestic use, unlike the HP1000 which was made for studio monitoring. Some HP1000 drivers that did not make the grade for HP1,2 and 3 were used for the SR series in the early day before John got his own drivers.
SR100 with HP1000 drivers share the same sound signature with the SR200 and HP1000. They have the wider headband and most of them have red lettering.
The ones with the John Grado drivers have the "fun" boggie sound you described. My pair sounds similar to SR80 and 125 but slightly more mellow and less forward. They are collectors' items so it really depends on how much the buyers are willing to pay.

So your SR100 have the John Grado drivers?

Are the SR100 easy to drive like the SR80?

Regards.

Sep 18, 2011 at 12:03 PM Post #4 of 41

Quote:
So your SR100 have the John Grado drivers?

Are the SR100 easy to drive like the SR80?

Regards.

Yes, they are very easy to drive.
SR100 are the predecessor of SR125 and  very hard to find. Do you own a pair?

Jan 18, 2012 at 10:28 AM Post #6 of 41

Quote:
Yes, they are very easy to drive.
SR100 are the predecessor of SR125 and  very hard to find. Do you own a pair?

Bumping an old thread as there's very little information on the SR100's available online.

I have a pair of SR100's that I purchased from a Grado AD around 1994.  I haven't used them much recently.  However, if someone has a specific question regarding the SR100's, maybe I can help out.  Just let me know.

Jan 18, 2012 at 11:10 AM Post #7 of 41

Quote:

Bumping an old thread as there's very little information on the SR100's available online.

I have a pair of SR100's that I purchased from a Grado AD around 1994.  I haven't used them much recently.  However, if someone has a specific question regarding the SR100's, maybe I can help out.  Just let me know.

Which version of the SR100 do you have? Red lettering with HP1000 drivers or the the one with the John Grado drivers?

Jan 18, 2012 at 1:55 PM Post #8 of 41
White lettering.  

From what I've read though, some of the SR100's w/ white lettering got the HP1000 drivers because Grado ran out of their standard driver during production.  Does anyone know how to tell the difference?

Jan 18, 2012 at 2:12 PM Post #9 of 41

Quote:
White lettering - John Grado drivers.  

From what I've read though, some of the SR100's w/ white lettering got the HP1000 drivers because Grado ran out of their standard driver during production.  Does anyone know how to tell the difference?

Here's the one with the HP1000 drivers. If you look through them from the other side, you will see a star shape and they are often called Black star drivers ( they are actually mostly white). The headband is wider also. A lot of HP1000 drivers were used in the earlier SR series Grado (100,200,300 and later 325). That was before John found his own drivers. These HP1000 drivers are supposed to be lower grade than the ones in HP1,2 and 3. In practice, I think they SR100 and SR200 both sound really good.

Feb 26, 2017 at 10:17 AM Post #11 of 41
Short answer, yes. Especially if they work well. As stated above, look very closely at the inside of the cup, the part that faces your ear, and see if you notice a black star looking cone in the center of the driver vs a clearish bubble. The 'black star' drivers are leftover hp1000 drivers and are amazingly good sounding drivers. Either way, if they are in good shape, $50 is a steal.

Feb 26, 2017 at 10:23 AM Post #12 of 41
Short answer, yes. Especially if they work well. As stated above, look very closely at the inside of the cup, the part that faces your ear, and see if you notice a black star looking cone in the center of the driver vs a clearish bubble. The 'black star' drivers are leftover hp1000 drivers and are amazingly good sounding drivers. Either way, if they are in good shape, $50 is a steal.

Feb 26, 2017 at 12:27 PM Post #14 of 41
It's really hard to tell from the pictures whether those have the hp1000 drivers, but I'm thinking probably not. Really surprised at how high the price got considering the uncertainty of the driver type and the missing gimbal. But that should put into perspective what getting an intact pair for $50 is like. Post some pics when you get yours. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back