Grado SR-60 modded vs SR-80 modded
Mar 2, 2012 at 1:14 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

KFredo

New Head-Fier
After reading several threads, I'm still stuck deciding purchasing one out of the two models. There are tons of posts specific for the SR-60 mod thread, but no such thread for the SR-80 mods. Given that the two models were modded with the same after market parts would they sound identical?

Currently it's possible for me to purchase 80s that are a little cheaper than the 60s. The goal is to mod whichever one I get to maximize potential, but do they both tend to max out to be the same at the end?

Mar 2, 2012 at 1:23 AM Post #2 of 4

Quote:
After reading several threads, I'm still stuck deciding purchasing one out of the two models. There are tons of posts specific for the SR-60 mod thread, but no such thread for the SR-80 mods. Given that the two models were modded with the same after market parts would they sound identical?

Currently it's possible for me to purchase 80s that are a little cheaper than the 60s. The goal is to mod whichever one I get to maximize potential, but do they both tend to max out to be the same at the end?

I have the SR60i, SR80i and SR325i, and frankly, they sound so similar to each other that I don't really recommend spending more than just getting the SR60i and doing all the mods your heart desires. I suggest the L-cush pads are the first immediate upgrade for the SR60i because the flat pads they come with are a crime against audio and sound like a broken radio from the 80's. L-cush pads make them sound pretty much like the SR325's to me. I literally cannot justify the cost of the SR325i when the SR60i sounds virtually the same with only minute, nearly unappreciable, differences. But that's just me. Some die-hard Grado fans will probably tell you some wonderful night & day differences exist. Wasn't my experience, and I have three Grados, lol. I got the SR325i's simply because they were used and at a decent price and I adored the color of the gold aluminum housing. But frankly, the SR60i's sounded virtually the same, so I was not impressed. I also got the G-cush pads to improve comfort. Tried them on all three models and man, the G-cush pads are horrible for the sound, they become bassless and the treble becomes super hot and hard to listen to. The L-cush pads were the sweet spot, great balance of bass, mids and treble. The flats are horrible and the g-cush were horrible. The g-cush were very comfortable though, which was a huge, huge let down, because they make them over-ear, which is perfect, but sounded like butt. Anyhow, that's my Grado experience thus far. I love Grados. But I don't feel climbing the prestige line is worth your dollar. So I recommend the cheapest Grado with L-cush pads as the entry point. If you want to spend more, mod them. And if you really want to spend more, then bypass prestige and go straight to their high-ends and call it a day.

Get the cheapest to buy Grado. If the SR80i is cheaper, get it (and again, get the L-cush pads with it, immediately, do not even listen to them with the flats they come with). Then later, explore wood mods, cable replacement, etc. End of the day it will be better/more fun than buying the overly expensive SR325i. Or at least until you go into the higher end Grado tier where they're actually significantly better out of the box.

Very best,

Users who are viewing this thread

Back