Grado SR-225 | Pads - Flat, vwap, bowl, comfy | A mini comparison
Sep 17, 2004 at 11:47 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 103

gsferrari

Member of the Trade: Veda Audio Contributor
This is a collection of observations, images and videos of all (I hope) available pads for Grado Headphones. The pads are compatible with all the headphones in the SR,RS,PS and HP lineups and each one of them affects the sound in a different way. This review is done using the Grado SR-225 headphone, Rudistor RP5 Reference amplifier and my cheap SACD source. I am positive that with a better source the changes will be much more noticeable.

[size=small]Before we begin - a quick couple of videos of all the participants in today's pageant
eggosmile.gif

[/size]

note : videos may take some time to download
wink.gif

Video #1

Video #2

Just spent about 3 hours with my new SR-225 and a variety of pads. These are initial impressions subject to change.

[size=large]SR-225 + Flat Pads[/size]

VIDEO : Squishy Test : Todd Flats
  1. Satisfying FULL sound
  2. Deep bass with what I suspect is a 80hz hump
  3. recommended for most users
  4. best with hip-hop, rock, techno, trance, new age, lounge
  5. are these worth $30.00 (a pair of flat pads) = YES! emphatically
    smily_headphones1.gif

flat1.jpg

flat2.jpg

flat3.jpg

[size=large]SR-225 + vwap flats[/size]

VIDEO : Squishy Test : VWAP Flats

1. full sounding without the imposing bass-tone of the flats
  2. much more detail and instrument/vocal separation than the Todd flats
  3. liquid midrange
  4. more emphasis on treble than the Todd Flats
  5. recommended for most mature users
  6. best with classical instrumental, vocal, guitar (strings in general), jazz and blues
  7. OMG these are awesome with blues!! BB King is in your bedroom...on your bed (only if you are so inclined
    tongue.gif
    )
  8. Norah Jones is on my bed (yes I am so inclined
    cool.gif
    )
  9. are these worth the $15.00 or so that they cost? = Yes! but I dont know if vwap still makes them

vwap1.jpg

vwap2.jpg

vwap3.jpg

[size=large]SR-225 + Grado Bowls [/size]

VIDEO : Squishy Test : Bowl Pads
  1. Heavy emphasis on higher frequencies but definitely NOT as grainy as SR-325
  2. Treble doesnt drill into your head so much with these headphones
  3. Detail and Separation...The "AIR" is unbelievable. I simply have to give the RS1 another listen if these are so good...
  4. Midrange drops out a bit - giving a lighter, easier touch to the music...perfect for midday listening when you are grumpy
    tongue.gif
  5. recommended with reservations to the general populace
  6. best with intense classicals which can sound congested on the other pads
  7. recommended with strings...the best with strings so far...unbelievable
  8. I can understand now why Grado insists on these pads shipping with the headphones. NOT without reason
  9. Eric Clapton is right here...I can reach out and touch him...nah...i'll wait for the next babe to show up
  10. Does anyone know any babe who plays guitar well enough to consider?
    eggosmile.gif
  11. Are these worth getting with the headphones : YES!
  12. Are these worth buying (if you dont have them?) - Maybe - depending on your musical preferences - I would get a vwap pad which is a more rounded performer

bowl1.jpg

bowl2.jpg

[size=large]SR-225 + Grado Comfies[/size]

VIDEO : Squishy Test : Comfies
  1. These are actually surprisingly decent...
  2. Nicer bass than the bowls but everything sounds confused and muddled
  3. smudged detail...not bad but disappointing if you have other pads around
  4. these pads are the easiest on the ears over long listening sessions...actually they fall behind the vwap pads and tie with the bowls
  5. recommended - general user
  6. If you get them with your headphones - fine - otherwise dont bother with these
  7. I will use them when I put away my headphones or to tide me over in between the better pads (which dont last quite as long)

comfy1.jpg

comfy2.jpg

comfy3.jpg

Here is a graphical analysis of the Todd Flats, vwap Flats and the Bowl Pads. These graphs are not to scale and is not derived from physical measurements. The graphs are purely pictorial representations of what I hear when I listen to the different pads on offer.

TODD FLAT PADS
ToddFlatGraph.JPG

vwap PADS
VwapFlatGraph.JPG

BOWL PADS
BowlPadGraph.JPG

Some random images for scale and just plain jobless viewing pleasure

allpads1.jpg
allpads3.jpg

allpads2.jpg

[size=medium]As a conclusion - having the vwap pads and the flat pads will set you back $50.00 including shipping. Thats the price of a headphone...its up to you. If you had to choose - and if you got the bowls with your cans - get the flats.
Basically - Todd Flats are a MUST HAVE for every grado junkie
[/size]

Contact Todd at www.ttvj.com to order the following pads :-
* Grado Bowls
* Todd Flats
* Grado Comfies

Contact vwap to ask about the vwap flat pads.

NOTE : mature user = users with a more mature taste in music..um...and with high frequency deafness
tongue.gif
LOL
3000smile.gif

Sep 18, 2004 at 12:42 AM Post #2 of 103
Quote:

Originally Posted by gsferrari
NOTE : mature user = users with a more mature taste in music..um...and with high frequency deafness
tongue.gif
LOL
3000smile.gif

As a mature user of 225 who fits both your definitions(30+ years in m/cycle workshops=hearing loss) I preffer the bowls. Tried the Grado flats(came with the phones when I purchased them) and swaped them. Didn't like the drivers so close to my ears. With the bowls they sound really nice with the acoustic folk, blues and country i listen to but still seem to have plenty of bass for rock.

Sep 18, 2004 at 12:58 AM Post #3 of 103
I've tried all the pads, and I have to say you've hit it pretty much right on. You might have been a little too nice to the bowls and especially the comfies, but I'll put 'em back on and try again, just to check. Nice job!

Quote:

Does anyone know any babe who plays guitar well enough to consider?

Susan Tedeschi? Lita Ford? Nancy Wilson (from Heart)?

Sep 18, 2004 at 1:12 AM Post #4 of 103
I personally prefer bowls. Don't know why everyone knocks em so much (not very comfortable though). The flats are okay, if you want a different, more intimate presentation with lots of bass, but kill the soundstage in exchange. A little to forward for me, at the moment. (tastes change) The vwap/senn pads put my ears way too close to the drivers. Goes well with MS1s though IIRC. Comfies are just wierd, but listenable in a fun kind of way.
rs1smile.gif

Sep 18, 2004 at 3:00 AM Post #7 of 103
Thanks for the comparison as I recently inquired about this topic (thanks again to all those that replied). I've just started listening to my 225s and love 'em and that's right out of the box. Can't wait to hear what effect the break in has on "maturing" the sound. So far I'm pretty happy with the default bowl pads but feeling how close the driver are to my ears already and since my preference is classical/soundtrack, I probably will hold off on the flats until I need replacements. Although with all the praise I hear for the flats, it is tempting to get them.

Sep 18, 2004 at 3:09 AM Post #8 of 103
I just got mine too...I had a pair before...lost them to some bad decisions while plugging them into an amp that was not designed for them. Got the SR-325's...ive tried the entire Grado range and have quite a collection of pads
tongue.gif

For a first upgrade - go straight for the Todd Flat Pads (TFP). vwap Flat Pads (VFP) are good and somewhere in between the TFP and the GBP (no not Great Britain Pound - Grado Bowl Pads!!).

I would have all of them...it will cost you around $50.00 to get the VFP and the TFP but I think it is worth it...I keep switchin between them for different kinds of music...the combinations are endless...its like having 3 headphones in one!!

k1000smile.gif

Sep 18, 2004 at 3:14 AM Post #9 of 103
I like my VWAPs for when I am going to be listening for an extended amount of time, because like you said, they are in the middle of the bowls and flats, but can be a little more comfortable than the bowls.

For me, my preference goes:

1- TODD FLATS
2- VWAP
3- Bowls

Here is a pic I took of all three of mine, in that order, so you can see them for comparrison:

flat-yellow-bowl2.jpg

Was the same for my 325s also, which I now wish I hadn't sold. lol

Sep 18, 2004 at 5:51 AM Post #10 of 103
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kirosia
The vwap/senn pads put my ears way too close to the drivers. Goes well with MS1s though IIRC. Comfies are just wierd, but listenable in a fun kind of way.
rs1smile.gif

Kirosia,

I did the Senn/vwap mod just yesterday - I agree they put your ear too close to the driver. So I turned the Senn pad around and wrapped the hole I cut into the front of the pad around the driver. That way the thicker part of the pad is between your ear and the driver.

Result - bowl perspective, Senn comfort. Sounds good to me, but here in Australia it's harder to get Grado Flat pads quickly, so I haven't tried 'em.

Cheers

Sep 23, 2004 at 1:16 AM Post #11 of 103
Just got the Todd Flat Pads and all I can say is wow. The bass increase is incredible. All from just switching a couple of pieces of foam. I can't say for certain but it seems that the bass levels are slightly greater than what I heard from my old Koss Pro4X cans. The highs are a bit muddied compaired to the bowl pads but with the better comfort level and higher bass, I think I can live with it.
280smile.gif

Sep 23, 2004 at 2:19 AM Post #12 of 103
600smile.gif
rolleyes.gif
Quote:

Here goes nothing...
Just spent about 3 hours with my new SR-225 and a variety of pads. These are initial impressions subject to change.

[size=small]SR-225 + Flat Pads[/size]

1. Satisfying FULL sound
  2. Deep bass with what I suspect is a 80hz hump
  3. recommended for most users
  4. best with hip-hop, rock, techno, trance, new age, lounge
  5. are these worth $30.00 (a pair of flat pads) = YES! emphatically
    smily_headphones1.gif

[size=small]SR-225 + vwap flats[/size]
  1. full sounding without the imposing bass-tone of the flats
  2. much more detail and instrument/vocal separation than the Todd flats
  3. liquid midrange
  4. more emphasis on treble than the Todd Flats
  5. recommended for most mature users
  6. best with classical instrumental, vocal, guitar (strings in general), jazz and blues
  7. OMG these are awesome with blues!! BB King is in your bedroom...on your bed (only if you are so inclined
    tongue.gif
    )
  8. Norah Jones is on my bed (yes I am so inclined
    cool.gif
    )
  9. are these worth the $15.00 or so that they cost? = Yes! but I dont know if vwap still makes them

[size=small]SR-225 + Grado Bowls [/size]
  1. Heavy emphasis on higher frequencies but definitely NOT as grainy as SR-325
  2. Treble doesnt drill into your head so much with these headphones
  3. Detail and Separation...The "AIR" is unbelievable. I simply have to give the RS1 another listen if these are so good...
  4. Midrange drops out a bit - giving a lighter, easier touch to the music...perfect for midday listening when you are grumpy
    tongue.gif
  5. recommended with reservations to the general populace
  6. best with intense classicals which can sound congested on the other pads
  7. recommended with strings...the best with strings so far...unbelievable
  8. I can understand now why Grado insists on these pads shipping with the headphones. NOT without reason
  9. Eric Clapton is right here...I can reach out and touch him...nah...i'll wait for the next babe to show up
  10. Does anyone know any babe who plays guitar well enough to consider?
    eggosmile.gif
  11. Are these worth getting with the headphones : YES!
  12. Are these worth buying (if you dont have them?) - Maybe - depending on your musical preferences - I would get a vwap pad which is a more rounded performer

[size=small]SR-225 + Grado Comfies[/size]
  1. These are actually surprisingly decent...
  2. Nicer bass than the bowls but everything sounds confused and muddled
  3. smudged detail...not bad but disappointing if you have other pads around
  4. these pads are the easiest on the ears over long listening sessions...actually they fall behind the vwap pads and tie with the bowls
  5. recommended - general user
  6. If you get them with your headphones - fine - otherwise dont bother with these
  7. I will use them when I put away my headphones or to tide me over in between the better pads (which dont last quite as long)

As a conclusion - having the vwap pads and the flat pads will set you back $50.00 including shipping. Thats the price of a headphone...its up to you.

If you had to choose - and if you got the bowls with your cans - get the flats.

basically - Todd Flats are a MUST HAVE for every grado junkie
wink.gif

tongue.gif
LOL
3000smile.gif

EXCEllent JOB! well DONE! I also find that the different pads bring different plusses and minuses.

Sep 23, 2004 at 2:33 AM Post #13 of 103
hybridamp, could please post another pic of those pads but from a different angle? or anyone for that matter if you have those pads and a digital camera. i'd like to get a better idea of what these pads look like.

Sep 23, 2004 at 3:25 AM Post #15 of 103
Quote:

Originally Posted by kalzone
hybridamp, could please post another pic of those pads but from a different angle? or anyone for that matter if you have those pads and a digital camera. i'd like to get a better idea of what these pads look like.

Pics coming up. I'll add pictures to the review in a few hours.

Cheers!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back