GRADO RSi rewire?
Apr 7, 2013 at 12:25 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

thazy2

New Head-Fier
I cant seem to find anyone who would rewire these cans.  The oem setup is horrible.  I found this person but no response to email.  Any ideas?

http://www.martincustomaudio.com/p/cables.html

Apr 7, 2013 at 12:33 AM Post #2 of 11
Grado will re-wire their own equipment as I recall - and I believe that does include third-party cabling if you're so inclined (I'm honestly not sure what about the factory leads, especially on the "i" headphones, that would be "horrible"). Shoot'em an email. I think HeadRoom is also authorized to re-cable Grado products as well, fwiw.

Apr 7, 2013 at 2:56 PM Post #4 of 11
The functionality is fine, more of a feel that I'm not liking.  And i rather have it permanently 1/8 connected.

What do you mean "a feel" - seriously you're not giving us very much to go on here...

And if this is going the direction of: "I have never A/B'd it with anything but know deep down in my soul it sounds bad and something, anything, that I replace it with will sound worlds better" - I'd contact HeadRoom and have them re-cable them; they quote $250 and up for that service (welcome to boutique audio). :xf_eek:

Apr 7, 2013 at 8:03 PM Post #5 of 11

Plasticky, stiff, twisting, large, heavy and cheap feeling not what i would expect from $600 HP.  I guess i was expecting something nicer wire wise.  It's bothering me so much that i'm willing to pay good money to have it rewire properly with good quality limb wires and smaller plug, personal preference i guess.

Apr 7, 2013 at 10:06 PM Post #6 of 11

Plasticky, stiff, twisting, large, heavy and cheap feeling not what i would expect from $600 HP.  I guess i was expecting something nicer wire wise.  It's bothering me so much that i'm willing to pay good money to have it rewire properly with good quality limb wires and smaller plug, personal preference i guess.

The Grado wiring *is* good quality (in the world of wire, heavy and thick is not a bad thing) and *is* wired properly...:rolleyes:

Anyways, you will not get over the twisting (it's how the gimbals are setup - the cups can rotate freely in either direction and it doesn't matter what they're wired with - if you store the headphones in a reasonable manner and don't thrash them around, it generally isn't a problem, but if you're prone to just "chucking" your gear around, they're likely to become tangled), and if Grado feels "cheap" to you, I'd just move on to another manufacturer (and I'm sure there's plenty of "poor saps" who'd gladly take such a terrible pair of headphones off your hands :popcorn:). Personal preference and all that...:wink_face:

Apr 7, 2013 at 10:11 PM Post #7 of 11
Quote:
The Grado wiring *is* good quality and *is* wired properly...
rolleyes.gif

I too love Grado wiring! But people still love to rewire 'em, so I won't blame the OP for it. Headroom can do it, BTG audio can do it, Moon Audio can do it. All fantastic outlets. 

Apr 7, 2013 at 10:16 PM Post #8 of 11
By the way, Thazy, MCA(the website you linked) Martin is on a trip at the moment. That is why he isn't responding, he should've put it up on his blog, but he did not.

Apr 7, 2013 at 10:20 PM Post #9 of 11
I too love Grado wiring! But people still love to rewire 'em, so I won't blame the OP for it. Headroom can do it, BTG audio can do it, Moon Audio can do it. All fantastic outlets. 

I think Headphile will also re-wire headphones, but you're unlikely to get away from the thick wires going aftermarket - I'm not aware of anyone who actually WANTS the hair-thin stuff (because, you know, it tends to suck :ph34r:).

Apr 7, 2013 at 10:58 PM Post #10 of 11
Quote:
Quote:

I think Headphile will also re-wire headphones, but you're unlikely to get away from the thick wires going aftermarket - I'm not aware of anyone who actually WANTS the hair-thin stuff (because, you know, it tends to suck
ph34r.gif
).

I like my DT880's cable because its light, its very thin. 

Apr 8, 2013 at 1:45 AM Post #11 of 11
I like my DT880's cable because its light, its very thin. 

But that's likely a factory cable - I know on the T70 the factory cable is fairly thin too. But what I'm saying is, generally speaking upgrade cables are going to be heavier because fatter wire is generally better (all things considered); few people actively want to go backwards. Sure, you could throw the Litz harness from a Sony onto the RS-1, and it'd probably work just fine (until the CJC shorts...:ph34r:), but I'm not aware of anyone that's actually gone off and done it. You also have to keep in mind if the replacement cables you find for the RS-1 (especially the "i") are too narrow, you're going to have to do something to fill the holes left in the enclosures...:xf_eek:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back