Grado RS2 Redesign?
Sep 4, 2007 at 11:55 AM Post #271 of 353
Quote:

Originally Posted by F107plus5
If the looks are more important than the sound, then wait a while till the
tooling and manufacturing experience catches up.

Maybe to an extent, but spending $1000 on a high-end piece of kit would make me expect a certain uniform level of quality. QC should be a company mentality really.

We're getting into the Bose mind-set.

Sep 4, 2007 at 12:01 PM Post #272 of 353
Quote:

Originally Posted by Chri5peed /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Maybe to an extent, but spending $1000 on a high-end piece of kit would make me expect a certain uniform level of quality. QC should be a company mentality really.

We're getting into the Bose mind-set.

BOSE would never have let this pass. Even they know better.
plainface.gif

Sep 4, 2007 at 1:03 PM Post #273 of 353
Seems John should invest in some CNC machines.

Although to be fair, we are pitching a tiny one-man NY company to the relatively behemoth German & Japanese companies. Although, this is no excuse.
Many an Amp company are tiny affairs and don't have as many QC issues.

Sep 4, 2007 at 1:25 PM Post #274 of 353
In my mind, the unerring commitment to quality and customer value is key. You build quality into the the whole system/process, from beginning to end.

Regardless of how the supply chain is organized, QC still has to be part of every step.

There is no excuse for a lack of commitment to these values regardless of company size. I am very glad there is a commitment to the American worker, I wish more companies had the same, but without the necessary commitment to quality and customer value the company will ultimately fail. Then where will those American workers be? Out of a job, like all of the ones whose jobs were offshored....
rolleyes.gif

Sep 4, 2007 at 1:25 PM Post #275 of 353
Quote:

Originally Posted by 19lexicon78 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've recieved the RS-1 from MrSlacker.
at first, it was a shock!!!.
the lettering is uuugly and it's looking cheeeaaaappp.
these new ones aren't as finished/slick as the older ones.

BUT
the wood used for those new ones, i prefer it more than the older version.
somehow this unfinished look has got something.
it reminds me the ugly philips lhh 2000 cd-player. ugly but very good sounding.

let's hope the new RS-1 has the same qualities as the philips.

Um yeah, those are the adjectives, comments and reactions I would be happy using to describe a pair of headphones I just dropped $500+ on....

NOT!

About the only thing I read in that entire post that was even remotely encouraging is that they at least still sound good. Granted the sound is what ultimately matters, but what has been done to the look of the RS-1 is a tragedy. This new RS-1 design is no longer worthy of it's price tag. An it is upsetting that these changes were completely unexpected and unannounced. It kind of makes me wonder what else may have been changed other than the dramatic and obvious cheapening of their appearance. I mean what's next? Will the leather headband be replaced by the one used on the SR-60s? And then what after that? I will never buy one of these re-designs unless their price tag is dramatically lowered. And these comments are coming from a hardcore Grado fan. Sad, really sad. Oh well, at least there are a ton of 'classic' RS-1s out there. I should probably acquire a pair soon before their prices inevitably skyrocket.

Sep 4, 2007 at 1:33 PM Post #276 of 353
Quote:

Originally Posted by Chri5peed /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Seems John should invest in some CNC machines.

Although to be fair, we are pitching a tiny one-man NY company to the relatively behemoth German & Japanese companies. Although, this is no excuse.
Many an Amp company are tiny affairs and don't have as many QC issues.

Tiny company with a not-so-tiny revenue (according to the interview with John Grado). On the positive side, a well-made John Grado piece is truly a sight to behold. From the lush dark orange varnished wooden chambers & delicate contrast of the RS-1/2 button to the ever so exquisite headband threading & finely figured mahogany, they are simple yet beautiful to look at. The earlier ones even came with a fine, tan leather headband and one heck of a wooden "pizza box". Please, oh please, bring back the good old days!

Sep 4, 2007 at 1:44 PM Post #277 of 353
Quote:

Originally Posted by lmilhan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I mean what's next? Will the leather headband be replaced by the one used on the SR-60s? And then what after that?

What leather?
wink.gif

Sep 4, 2007 at 1:50 PM Post #278 of 353
lmilhan

i agree.
these changes are unexpected. imo it's a nessecity to inform consumers before changing the looks or sound of these headphones, especially in this price-range.

if i would know about these changes, i wouldn't bought them.
without the lettering, i would.
too late to bring them back, i guess.
besides that, shipment will cost another 40 usd.

it's a shame, indeed

Sep 4, 2007 at 2:04 PM Post #279 of 353
As with any company, Grado have the right to change design and specifications of their products as they see fit, but to turn their back on quality control issues is completely unacceptable across the range, and even more so in their top end products.

Sep 4, 2007 at 2:51 PM Post #282 of 353
Quote:

Originally Posted by Computerpro3 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Doubt it, no 14 year old I know would ever let that through QC.

Ouch!!

Sep 4, 2007 at 2:57 PM Post #283 of 353
All this uproar over a re-design -- or is it just one set of cans that is rough?....uhhhmmm -- has anybody looked to see if maybe they are stamped "made in china" now, perhaps?
Just wondering....
I mean, who knows?

Sep 4, 2007 at 3:04 PM Post #284 of 353
To everyone who is defending Grado. Do you realize that this is not the 1st year they are producing these headphones? They have the same design for YEARS and by this time, they are suppose to be perfect. If they were a new company, ok may be we could let it slide due to inexperience, but we are talking about a company that has been using the same exact design for the last 20 years.
Something like this is completely unacceptable for a well established company.

Sep 4, 2007 at 3:17 PM Post #285 of 353
Quote:

Originally Posted by silverrain /img/forum/go_quote.gif
All this uproar over a re-design -- or is it just one set of cans that is rough?....uhhhmmm -- has anybody looked to see if maybe they are stamped "made in china" now, perhaps?
Just wondering....
I mean, who knows?

Good question, although I've not seen any response from Grado themselves about the issue. The thought of counterfeit Grado's had occurred to many of us, I'm sure, but, as I recall, the poster who had them said they sounded like Grados. I assume their authenticity has been vetted by now??? This is not the first occurrence of crooked and uneven lettering or splintered edges that have been mentioned by posters.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back