Grado RS1e matters (and impressions)
Jan 14, 2016 at 3:48 PM Post #31 of 290
   Basically, I am still in the position of someone who has heard the SR60i, been amazed, and is wanting more of that. 

Buy a used RS1i.
beerchug.gif

Jan 14, 2016 at 3:57 PM Post #32 of 290
I have been looking at zazex's excellent "Grado RS1i and RS1e side by side - Pictures!" thread, which is of obvious interest to RS1e owners.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/726506/grado-rs1i-and-rs1e-side-by-side-pictures

Jan 14, 2016 at 4:58 PM Post #33 of 290

They suck.

They put a plastic ring around the old driver and called it a 50mm driver.

I actually owned two of the RS2e. I thought the first one was defective, it sounded so bad. The second one was just as "defective" and I sold it too.

And I've owned most of the Grados except the HP1000.

Have you owned the PS1?

Jan 14, 2016 at 5:14 PM Post #34 of 290

Yes

Jan 14, 2016 at 5:15 PM Post #35 of 290
  Buy a used RS1i.
beerchug.gif

Thanks for the suggestion! Most sellers are only willing to ship to the USA. I might be seriously tempted if one turned up in the UK, or somewhere with a seller who was prepared to ship the little masterpiece to London, England. I am cautious, because I don't want to buy another 'e' version by mistake. There is an offer on Amazon for an RS1i at the moment, but the photograph is of headphones clearly marked RS1e. Or, who knows, maybe Grado might consider making a decent new iteration of the RS1... crazy talk, I know.

Jan 14, 2016 at 6:51 PM Post #36 of 290
Thanks for the suggestion! Most sellers are only willing to ship to the USA. I might be seriously tempted if one turned up in the UK, or somewhere with a seller who was prepared to ship the little masterpiece to London, England. I am cautious, because I don't want to buy another 'e' version by mistake. There is an offer on Amazon for an RS1i at the moment, but the photograph is of headphones clearly marked RS1e. Or, who knows, maybe Grado might consider making a decent new iteration of the RS1... crazy talk, I know.

I can and will ship it to you in the UK, if you arrange to have them shipped to me here in the US, no issues. I am new here, but an oldtimer on several other non-sound forums, so reputation and consequently trust shouldn't be an issue. Email is my username at gmail.

Jan 14, 2016 at 6:57 PM Post #37 of 290
This evening's listening has been mixed. For Knappertsbusch's 1958 "Rheingold" from Wagner's "Ring" the RS1(e) was up against the SR60i, the PS500 and the HD800 with Cardas Clear. I listened to this because I find the brighter Grados really useful for finding music in 'historical' recordings that otherwise sound a bit dull and flat. This proved to be the case this evening, although the PS500 was the best compromise of the four sets of cans, providing a sonic lift without stress. The RS1(e) was the most exciting listen, although inclined to a shrill tizziness on voices when they went high or loud. that is an abiding feature of these headphones, which has improved with burn-in but not disappeared. So, I listened to some Carmen Gomes (how do you pronounce her name?) from the Sound Liaison disc "A Thousand Shades of Blue".

http://www.soundliaison.com/studio-showcase-series/38-thousand-shades-of-blue

This was a 96kHz 24bit wav download and a totally different kettle of fish from the 'historical' Wagner played from CD. I used Amarra. No big headphone stressing climaxes in this well-recorded mellow music. The result is excellent, the musicians close in to the listener in Grado fashion. The Sennheisers made the headphones disappear and placed me in the venue, the RS1(e) were involving but definitely in my head. The Sennheisers also had, subjectively, a much wider frequency range

So - what's all this about? I'm finding uses for these RS1(e). On murky historical recordings they work magic, but are prone to get distressed under pressure. On fine modern recordings they do well, but don't rival the HD800/Cardas Clear combination in revealing detail. However, if your dream is to have Carmen Gomes sitting on your lap, they are to be preferred. I would certainly rather have her on my lap than Hans Knappertsbusch.

Jan 14, 2016 at 7:13 PM Post #38 of 290
I can and will ship it to you in the UK, if you arrange to have them shipped to me here in the US, no issues. I am new here, but an oldtimer on several other non-sound forums, so reputation and consequently trust shouldn't be an issue. Email is my username at gmail.

Thank you for the offer! And... welcome to Head-Fi! Don't know how soon I will go hunting vintage Grados as I am still reeling from the purchase of a Chord TT and am also in the queue for a Schiit Yggy. But thanks... that is REALLY kind.

Jan 15, 2016 at 10:11 PM Post #41 of 290
Jan 22, 2016 at 4:19 PM Post #43 of 290
I was one the early adopters to the RS1e that had the protruding drivers http://www.head-fi.org/t/722571/grado-e-series/435#post_10662729 and what I thought was an off sound after owning the RS1i. I've read about how the RS1e has had some changes since it's release and have decided to re-purchase from Grado direct (4ourears) to be sure it's the latest version so that I can give these a try again and will be keeping them regardless what I think about them this time. The reason I say I will be keeping them regardless is because I liked the first version but at the time didn't think they justified the cost, but with more break in this time I'm sure they'll be great. I will post pictures from my original version and this new version on it's way along with some impressions about the sound.

And a little picture of what I'll be comparing them to.

Jan 22, 2016 at 4:24 PM Post #45 of 290
  Will be great to hear if you are happy with them.

I sure hope so the RS1 and I have had a lot of back and forth over the years. The RS1i was amazing and I wish I never sold them and the RS1e I felt had a lot of potential but just needed some adjustments.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back