Grado RS-2 bright sound...
Nov 11, 2009 at 8:29 PM Post #16 of 30
I say it's your source (onboard computer sound?
frown.gif
). When I had the RS-2, they were pretty neutral to my ears, as far as Grados go.

Nov 13, 2009 at 3:49 AM Post #17 of 30
I've recently gone to RS2s from Sextetts, which are temporarily (hopefully) out of action due to an unfortunate encounter with my six year old son, and I'm very pleased with the RS2s.

For further perspective, my SR80s seem harsh in the high end to me. I gave away a set of Senns (555s) because they sounded to me like a speaker with the tweeter poked out.

The RS2s, acquired today from a fellow forum member, are incredible. The detail is amazing. I'm very sensitive to shrillness and sibilance, and I've had no issues of that sort with these cans at all. The high end, to me, is as sweet as the Sextetts, just more detailed.

Nov 13, 2009 at 4:16 AM Post #18 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ozer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If by source you mean my soundcard ?? I have a Auzentech Prelude.... I want to have a better source, I will buy a Dac, but I can't do that before I have an amp.... :/ And I'm not made of money, so that will take some time... Before I looked after a Dac/amp combo or something, but only using the amp part temporarily untill I get my Woo Audio 6.... But I didn't get any good answers.... About source from computer, I use both MP3 and Flac.... But it doesn't sound any better with Flac....

The Auzentech Prelude is a fine dac, I've been very happy with mine. Unless you shell out around $300+ for a USB dac you're probably not going to notice much improvements. If anything I'd recommend upgrading the opamp. You might also try tinkering with the EQ to tame the highs a bit, I did that when I used Grado SR80s, but now with my warmer AD700s EQ isn't necessary. If you do any gaming where CMSS3D or EAX5.0 is important then the Prelude is pretty much irreplaceable, but if you're going for all out music quality I'd recommend something along the lines of the Cambridge Dacmagic. Just my 2cents.

Nov 13, 2009 at 5:07 AM Post #19 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by TheMarchingMule /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I say it's your source (onboard computer sound?
frown.gif
). When I had the RS-2, they were pretty neutral to my ears, as far as Grados go.

Oh I didn't quite think about that... been a while since I've used Grados with onboard sound and I forgot how bad it can be.

My recommendation would be to buy a Head-Direct EF2 in that case. Cough up the $180 because it's an excellent DAC/Amp combo. I've always hated recommending combos but that's one combo I can fully recommend. You'll be surprised what some clean power and a good DAC can do to fix the sound... your Grados don't put much of a load on the soundcard but it's a load nonetheless and the cheap amp circuitry won't like it.

In my opinion, the RS-2 is basically just a "fixed" 325i... less brightness, much better overall sound. Better detail. But it's still just ever so slightly bright in my opinion.

"Shrill", though, is definitely not an element of these 'phones' character.

Nov 13, 2009 at 12:41 PM Post #20 of 30
I also find the RS2i to be close enough to the SR325is to simply say that the RS2i is simply a less bright version of pretty much the same sound presentation. I don't hear more detail from the RS2i. I've owned the two for a few months and now think the premium price for the RS2i must be based on the use of wood for the driver housing. It would seem that once wood is used for driver housings, the price of the can in question dramatically increases. See D2000 to D5000, the ESW9/10 etc.

Nov 13, 2009 at 1:23 PM Post #21 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by Henmyr /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Try not to listen very loud. I think Grados have their sweet spot in low to medium volumes. Quite a bit different from the HD600 which just sounds better and better the louder it is.

+1

I just changed from the K501 out of the Topaz straight to my 325is, and I have to admit that it hurt : I had the volume too high in order to drive the 501s and I paid the price. Backing off on the volume allows the detail on the Grados to shine without emphasizing their brightness. End of the day, they just arent for everyone, but I'm willing to bet that the average Head-Fier has the volume cranked louder than it needs to be with most of their cans.

Nov 13, 2009 at 3:57 PM Post #22 of 30
Thanks all ! But I have desided to return my Grado RS-2's.... They had perfect sound, but too bright for me.... Will proberly buy Sennheiser HD650..... I save some money too....

Just a question about the Senn's.... I was going to buy Woo Audio 6 later on for my Grados, should I still buy the WA6 for the Senn's ???

Nov 13, 2009 at 5:36 PM Post #23 of 30
I just wanted to clarify a generalization that has halfway been established in this thread, RS2's are bright but they're not REALLY bright, and by no stretch are they "shrill".. sibilance can absolutely be a problem though, and as a few have already said this changes with ones source.

Nov 13, 2009 at 8:28 PM Post #24 of 30
My feeling is that if you can't stand them the first time then I guess they're not really for you. My ears being what they are I cannot stand listening to my Grados for more than 30 minutes at a time, and I've had them for over three years now. You will find something like the Sennheisers less fatiguing for extended listening sessions (my main can is the HD650). Don't get me wrong, though; I think Grados are great cans but may not be suitable for all listeners. A compromise would be something like the Senn HD595; still front row seats but as detailed though not as bright and forward as the Grados. You'll also get a wider sound stage.

Nov 13, 2009 at 9:01 PM Post #26 of 30
There are many posts here claiming that the HD600 are better cans than the HD650, but I havent heard either - personally, I'd be looking at the Beyers if I wanted something with more balance than Grado. Unlike Sennheiser, Beyerdynamic have midrange cans that are worth the asking price (DT250 vs HD595. as an example), and something like the DT880 is significantly cheaper than the HD650 here in Oz.

good luck
estreeter

Nov 14, 2009 at 4:07 AM Post #28 of 30
like paramore & Kings Of Leon too. Songs are not too bright but because of grado.

you may find the right amp to match with your phone but i'd suggest you to try other phones, ex. sennheiser
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 14, 2009 at 3:40 PM Post #29 of 30
I found my RS-1s way too bright and lacking in bass (similar to RS2s when I owned them). I bought a pair of used C-Pads and the improvement was significant. The bass became more solid and the bright harsh highs were tamed. Give it a try...

V10 for Grado C-Pads, Grado Pads

Nov 14, 2009 at 5:25 PM Post #30 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by Canuck57 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I found my RS-1s way too bright and lacking in bass (similar to RS2s when I owned them). I bought a pair of used C-Pads and the improvement was significant. The bass became more solid and the bright harsh highs were tamed. Give it a try...

V10 for Grado C-Pads, Grado Pads

Thanks for the heads up on the pads- very expensive at $139. Sound's a bit like my TTVJ flats from your description. Is there much of a difference between them and the V10's?

Also, will Senn 414's work with RS2's?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back