Grado RS-2 bright sound...
Nov 11, 2009 at 5:47 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 30

Ozer

100+ Head-Fier
I've just brought a pair of Grado RS-2's.... I'm not complaining, but I think the sound is a little to bright. Don't get me wrong, I knew Grado was bright when I bought them, but not this bright.... If I turn the volume up I can't wear them without risking to damage my ears...
tongue.gif
Everytime the singer sings the letter "s" or there is some "high-hat" drum play I can't even wear them without hurting in my ears.... But I use the headphones direcly to my computer (without amp), maybe the reason ?

So my question here is... Do I need an amp ? (I'm going to buy one anyways, just don't have money now), or am I just not a fan of the Grado sound ?? Should I change to for example Sennheiser HD650 ??

Please don't just answer without explaining.... Like "-Change for Sennheiser, they rock !".........

Nov 11, 2009 at 6:04 PM Post #2 of 30
You may want to look for a pair of Sennheisers, they rock!!

Just kidding
smily_headphones1.gif

Give them another week, they may need break-in and your ears may get used to the sound.
I found my Denons when I first got them to sound a bit bright as well.

If you cannot stand them after a week of playing and burn-in you have to look for another pair/brand, because I don't think a dedicated amp will tame the brightness that much..maybe a tube amp.

Nov 11, 2009 at 6:14 PM Post #4 of 30
I would give them some more time. The Grado sound can be a bit bright but the RS2's shouldn't be anywhere near as bad as the sr325's.

If you do find that you can't get used ot the sound, return them and try the hd650's. They are my headphone of choice but they will need a decent amp. Once you find the right amp, the are open, detailed, silky, awesome.

Nov 11, 2009 at 6:25 PM Post #5 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ozer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've just brought a pair of Grado RS-2's.... I'm not complaining, but I think the sound is a little to bright. Don't get me wrong, I knew Grado was bright when I bought them, but not this bright.... If I turn the volume up I can't wear them without risking to damage my ears...
tongue.gif
Everytime the singer sings the letter "s" or there is some "high-hat" drum play I can't even wear them without hurting in my ears.... But I use the headphones direcly to my computer (without amp), maybe the reason ?

I own a pair of RS2i's and found them to be definitely not as bright as my SR325is. In fact, they sounded pretty good straight from my computer. However, my HeadRoom UltraMicroAmp not only provides some control of the brightness, but also deepens and extends the base response.

The HD650 will get you into the opposite end of the spectrum, in that nothing will sound bright as a Grado can when using them; however, a lot of what you listen to, may well sound a tad laid back and almost veiled with some recordings. The words 'boring' or 'lifeless' may well come to mind with some recordings when using the HD650's. This is especially so if you have among your headphones, a pair of Grados.
evil_smiley.gif

So, for me the RS2i is an exciting pair of cans that can make some recordings just a tad too bright to listen to. However, there's never a dull moment with them.
smily_headphones1.gif
OTOH, the HD650's will need well balanced, dynamic and well done recordings to sound great. Otherwise, they'll sound dull and boring with recordings that the RS2i's will breath some life into.
smile_phones.gif

IMO, whichever of the two you choose, you'll need an appropriate amp to improve on their weaknesses. I understand that a tube amp or a balanced output type amp can breath life into the HD650's. For the RS2i, I'd recommend a HeadRoom amp. I have direct experience with those and can attest to their favourable pairing with the RS2i.

Good luck! BTW, I also agree with not making a decision too quickly.

Nov 11, 2009 at 6:44 PM Post #6 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by aimlink /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I own a pair of RS2i's and found them to be definitely not as bright as my SR325is. In fact, they sounded pretty good straight from my computer. However, my HeadRoom UltraMicroAmp not only provides some control of the brightness, but also deepens and extends the base response.

The HD650 will get you into the opposite end of the spectrum, in that nothing will sound bright as a Grado can when using them; however, a lot of what you listen to, may well sound a tad laid back and almost veiled with some recordings. The words 'boring' or 'lifeless' may well come to mind with some recordings when using the HD650's. This is especially so if you have among your headphones, a pair of Grados.
evil_smiley.gif

So, for me the RS2i is an exciting pair of cans that can make some recordings just a tad too bright to listen to. However, there's never a dull moment with them.
smily_headphones1.gif
OTOH, the HD650's will need well balanced, dynamic and well done recordings to sound great. Otherwise, they'll sound dull and boring with recordings that the RS2i's will breath some life into.
smile_phones.gif

IMO, whichever of the two you choose, you'll need an appropriate amp to improve on their weaknesses. I understand that a tube amp or a balanced output type amp can breath life into the HD650's. For the RS2i, I'd recommend a HeadRoom amp. I have direct experience with those and can attest to their favourable pairing with the RS2i.

Good luck! BTW, I also agree with not making a decision too quickly.

Maybe my type of music doesn't fit for Grado.... Can you listen some songs with the band called "Paramore" on youtube or something ?? And then tell me if you think it's to bright for you too when you listen to them.....

Nov 11, 2009 at 6:58 PM Post #7 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ozer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Maybe my type of music doesn't fit for Grado.... Can you listen some songs with the band called "Paramore" on youtube or something ?? And then tell me if you think it's to bright for you too when you listen to them.....

I tried some Paramore. The tracks I listened to on YouTube were 'Misery Business' and 'Decode'. I was listening straight from the laptop's output. I wouldn't personally use my RS2i's for this group. Even though I'm sure some lossless versions of what I listened to would sound better and even moreso, through my ultra micro amp, I am pretty sure that I'd still not be happy. I've never felt the RS2i's did particularly well with recordings that contain a lot of relatively high pitched, rhythm guitar thrashing.

I'd reach for my Denon AH-D5000 to listen to Paramore or my HD650s if I still had them. However, I much prefer my Denons. Don't get too hasty though. The Denons have their own characteristic sound that may not be everyone's cup of tea. However, we both seem to be on the same page where the RS2i and listening to Paramore, is concerned.

Nov 11, 2009 at 6:59 PM Post #8 of 30
Aimlink, do you use them with bowls or flats? So far, I've tried my RS2i's with bowls and TTVJ flats out of an RME soundcard and prefer the flats. With the bowls, it sounds a bit bright and thin- I don't like it.

With the flats, although there is some thickening to the bottom frequencies and a slight veil on top (ironic coming from HD650's
normal_smile .gif
), this doesn't prevent it from sounding a lot nicer than the bowls. The flats seem to bring out the midrange, giving it texture and a pleasant quality. Bass quantity seems increased too.

All the above is straight from my pc but I have a tube amp due to arrive shortly.

Must say, I find the RS2's superb with R&B, funk, and most flavours of dance music. They seem to give the music an infectious quality and are nicely detailed too.

Nov 11, 2009 at 7:04 PM Post #9 of 30
Try not to listen very loud. I think Grados have their sweet spot in low to medium volumes. Quite a bit different from the HD600 which just sounds better and better the louder it is.

Nov 11, 2009 at 7:05 PM Post #10 of 30
Ozer,

I was just going to invite you to listen to some Black Eyed Peas with the RS2i. They sound fantastic with the RS2i. However, YouTube is a really, really...............really crappy source to listen to. I don't know what to think about Paramore now. I'll reserve judgement until I can properly listen to them through my rig. While I don't know what Paramore should sound like, I very much know what Black Eyed Peas should sound like.
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 11, 2009 at 7:12 PM Post #11 of 30
BrainFood,

I listen with the bowls. Have never tried the flats. I use the RS2i's exclusively at work. They sound great. I'm not the one trying to justify keeping them.
smily_headphones1.gif
I have great bass here. Nice mids. Sometimes a tad too bright with some recordings but not unbearable. However, even what I'm familiar with sounds terrible from YouTube and straight from the laptop here. I should be ashamed of myself for actually using YouTube and my laptop as a reasonable source for making a proper judgement.

Nov 11, 2009 at 7:16 PM Post #12 of 30
Quote:

Ozer,

I was just going to invite you to listen to some Black Eyed Peas with the RS2i. They sound fantastic with the RS2i. However, YouTube is a really, really...............really crappy source to listen to. I don't know what to think about Paramore now. I'll reserve judgement until I can properly listen to them through my rig. While I don't know what Paramore should sound like, I very much know what Black Eyed Peas should sound like.
smily_headphones1.gif

@Aimlink: Yes Black Eyed Peas do sound VERY good with RS-2..... But it has not the highs like the music I listen to.... The only music I have that I feel the RS-2's sound pretty good with is Kings Of Leon.....

Nov 11, 2009 at 7:34 PM Post #13 of 30
You seem to have a similar tolerance for the brightness as I do Ozer. You definitely need an amp though. The RS2i's sounded terrible from the laptop and on YouTube. Do you do that a lot? If that's what you do, then you need a pair of cans that will handle a source as that in a better way. I wouldn't spend a lot for that either. Certainly not an HD650. These high end cans demand a respectable source or else they'll thank you by sounding worse than lesser cans through the same handicapped source.
darthsmile.gif

Nov 11, 2009 at 7:50 PM Post #14 of 30
Quote:

You seem to have a similar tolerance for the brightness as I do Ozer. You definitely need an amp though. The RS2i's sounded terrible from the laptop and on YouTube. Do you do that a lot? If that's what you do, then you need a pair of cans that will handle a source as that in a better way. I wouldn't spend a lot for that either. Certainly not an HD650. These high end cans demand a respectable source or else they'll thank you by sounding worse than lesser cans through the same handicapped source.
darthsmile.gif

If by source you mean my soundcard ?? I have a Auzentech Prelude.... I want to have a better source, I will buy a Dac, but I can't do that before I have an amp.... :/ And I'm not made of money, so that will take some time... Before I looked after a Dac/amp combo or something, but only using the amp part temporarily untill I get my Woo Audio 6.... But I didn't get any good answers.... About source from computer, I use both MP3 and Flac.... But it doesn't sound any better with Flac....

But now I'm really thinking it's my soundcard that's the problem.... If I compare these headphones with some old 20 bucks 6 years old headphones I have (I can't even see what brand it is) the old ****ty ones isn't far away from being as great as the RS-2's !!! o.O
confused.gif
confused.gif
And they're not even headphones, but headsets. Ofcourse the RS-2's have better detail and that, but if I listen to both for some time I would choose the old ones, mainly cause the sound they produce is easy to listen to.... No harsh highs....

Nov 11, 2009 at 8:05 PM Post #15 of 30
Yes, the RS-2's are bright, but they shouldn't be intolerable. Give them some time. Turn the volume up really loud and leave them inside a blanket for a night, then check them in the morning.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back