Grado RS-1, Alessandro MS-Pro and the RA-1, some questions..
May 4, 2004 at 2:03 AM Post #16 of 20
k, let me know when you're going to buy...
wink.gif

May 8, 2004 at 9:34 PM Post #17 of 20
I've owned the RS-1 for 3 months now, and I have some problems with them.
the first time I've heard them it was with the RA-1. I had some time alone with them. sounded truely lovely, but lacked a bit of high end, which for me is very important for my psychological comfort with the music. Anyway, I haven't noticed a real problem with the treble.
For now, I don't have the RA-1, and it's obvious that there's more high end ... but sometimes the RS-1 are a bit too bright. What more concerns me, is that the cymbals can sound really “cheap”, and as if they insist going “ssss” in a sticky way. The problem lies really up there, in the ~18Khz range.
The treble doesn’t seem to have edginess in the sound that allows very good frequency seperation. There’s a lot of detail, but hard to spot and “isolate” in my mind sometimes.
This is when I remember tuberoller’s words: “the RS-1 struck me with the best instrument seperation I’ve heard”, and wonder.
I’ve tried my RS-1 through my Mensa DI/O with both PPA and Porta Corda, but the problem remains like it is with my soundcard. I actually prefer my laptop’s soundcard above that setup, funny
smily_headphones1.gif

But I ask my self, do the MSP's have the same treble problem With the cymbals?
And do they lack instrument seperation when compared to the RS-1 + RA-1?
Because the designs are very similar, I assume that it might be that they need the RA-1 in that regard, but then there will be even less high end. Not good.

Please advice.
Thank you for your time.

May 8, 2004 at 9:44 PM Post #18 of 20
Two words: Flat pads

(If you are already using flats, then look at your source)

May 9, 2004 at 6:10 AM Post #19 of 20
flat pads don't have enough high end and they are not true to the recording (very serios ~800hZ peak, if you would like to try my EQ setting for the flats you're welcome, it's great). they also lack soundstage (and i need this for psychological comfort), and "flight" (which you need certain amount of brightness for).
what's good about them is that the sound passes on emotions great (i call it "honest" sound), and bass guitars just sound increadibly true and groovy, really high-end).

the change of the source/amp can't do enough with the flats to do justice with my ears in the long run, i'm afraid. (sometimes i do put the flats on my RS-1 just for the fun)

thanks for the offer anyway :)

a thing i did once was stitching my bowls to make them more flat, but not very flat, somewere between flats and bowls. the result was good, yet i did want the sound to gain some more air and soundstage.

May 20, 2004 at 7:16 PM Post #20 of 20
shang-ti, ygpm!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back