Grado RS-1, Alessandro MS-Pro and the RA-1, some questions..
Apr 2, 2004 at 9:21 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

AdamZuf

Headphoneus Supremus
for me, the RS-1 with bowl pads are too bright.

i've tried the RS-1 with bowls once from sources i didn't know, with the RA-1, and i thought that they even lacked the highest end, but not in a negative way. that was my first encounter with the RS-1 (and only one with the RA-1). i didn't know the system, and couldn't put my finger on how bad is the coloration of this system, but i've heard one opinion here once that the RS-1 + RA-1 makes a neutral combo, but i don't know how much that is true (for me). i don't mind some "healthy" color, of coarse, if not, i would have hate the RS-1... but that is not the case..
any comments about the combo, in terms of brightness?

seems like the MS-Pro are supposed to be a bit more neutral; with the bowl pads, do they demand the RA-1, in order not to be bright? i'm talking about bowls, not flats.

RS-1 and MS-Pro owners; i have a prototype of EQ settings i made in Foobar2000 for the RS-1 and the bowls... would appreciate if you test it on the RS-1 to see if my ears want the MS-Pro. if you could please e-mail me your e-mail address (head-fi doesn't reveal it!) and i send it to you, i would be very glad.

Apr 2, 2004 at 9:23 AM Post #2 of 20
Quote:

Originally posted by AdamZuf
RS-1 and MS-Pro owners...

i know that kuma owns both, at least he did when he wrote that wicked review. you might want to PM him.

Apr 2, 2004 at 9:32 AM Post #3 of 20
kuma is a she
biggrin.gif

i did PM her, thank you!

Apr 2, 2004 at 9:35 AM Post #4 of 20
Quote:

Originally posted by AdamZuf
kuma is a she
biggrin.gif

i did PM her, thank you!

wild... all apoligies kuma.

Apr 2, 2004 at 9:53 AM Post #5 of 20
I haven't found the MS-Pro to be too bright at all, I've used the bowl pads, flat pads and some modded Sennheiser (yellow) pads none of which really made them sound bright.

I haven't heard the RS-1 to compare I'm afraid, but from what I've heard of other peoples experience that have heard both the MS-Pro is a little less "bright" (their words are usually forward or agressive) than the RS-1.

I've heard the ER4P-24 adaptor can help tone the brightness down a little, I haven't tried it myself though
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 2, 2004 at 10:07 AM Post #6 of 20
i'll try my 40 ohm adapter. usually it has different effect on dynamics and purity, but we'll see..

are you a person that gets disturbed about relative brightness easily?

Apr 2, 2004 at 2:05 PM Post #8 of 20
i never heard these beyers.. i only had the DT880..

i wish i could have a listen to the pro's... they haven't even heard about alessandro in new zealand.. i had to explain to the grado importer what they are!

Apr 2, 2004 at 2:30 PM Post #9 of 20
Quote:

Originally posted by Snufkin
I haven't found the MS-Pro to be too bright at all, I've used the bowl pads, flat pads and some modded Sennheiser (yellow) pads none of which really made them sound bright.

I haven't heard the RS-1 to compare I'm afraid, but from what I've heard of other peoples experience that have heard both the MS-Pro is a little less "bright" (their words are usually forward or agressive) than the RS-1.

I've heard the ER4P-24 adaptor can help tone the brightness down a little, I haven't tried it myself though
smily_headphones1.gif

second that, the ety p-s converter actually does make the delivery more refined in a funny sort of way.
somehow the msp loses a bit of life but it sure becomes a lot kinder to classical music which can sound surpisingly nice especially some of the cello concertos.

so if anyone has the adapter give it a try.

cheers
Kunwar

Apr 2, 2004 at 3:09 PM Post #10 of 20
24 ohms?

i wonder how does the RS-1 + RA-1 (which is an amp that rolls off the highs) compares to the MS-Pro with a more linear amp.

Apr 2, 2004 at 3:39 PM Post #11 of 20
no the p-s converter has 75 ohm resistors on it so the effective impedance of ety 4P's becomes 102 ohm.
if used in sync with the RS-1 and the MSP essentially the same effect happens.
whether one likes the result or not is another thing

Apr 2, 2004 at 4:01 PM Post #12 of 20
anyway, thanks for the tip... it's about time to make that 51 ohm adapter of mine from the Ricken Ohms in the car!

May 3, 2004 at 11:17 AM Post #13 of 20
anymore comments?

May 3, 2004 at 8:41 PM Post #15 of 20
i think i will buy them; i'm just waiting to have a digital camera near to me so i can picture the RS-1 and sell them
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back