Grado Question
Jan 24, 2007 at 4:21 AM Post #16 of 45
You really don't need an amp for the SR60s. They sound great even just out of my laptop stereo jack. If you want to dish out some more dough, go with the SR225s with an amp. If you juts want high quality music at a cheap cost, pick up a pair of SR60s.

Jan 24, 2007 at 4:40 AM Post #17 of 45
The SR225 sounded fantastic straight out of my AV710 (which isn't even supposed to have enough power to drive headphones). Grados aren't greedy cans. I'd get a pair of SR225. The 325i are insanely bright enough to scare some people away from Grados (if I had started with a pair I'd have never touched another one), and the metal is heavy and PAINFUL.

Jan 24, 2007 at 5:19 AM Post #18 of 45
well thanks guys for the opinions, but i just happened to notice that many of you are recommending the cans that you own personally.

Is there anyone who doesn't own any of these, but has tried them and can give an unbiased opinion. Not cutting down anyone who posted above, but just something i noticed.

Jan 24, 2007 at 5:21 AM Post #19 of 45
i own alot of grados..the hf-1 is definately a sweet spot and with prices declining recently now is the time to pick one up...you wont regret it

Jan 24, 2007 at 5:58 AM Post #20 of 45
Quote:

Originally Posted by newgnr /img/forum/go_quote.gif
well thanks guys for the opinions, but i just happened to notice that many of you are recommending the cans that you own personally.

Is there anyone who doesn't own any of these, but has tried them and can give an unbiased opinion. Not cutting down anyone who posted above, but just something i noticed.

Thats a tall order, I think most ppl recommend the cans they prefer and by common sense have purchased. Is there a reason why you don't go and audition the cans yourself for an unbiased opinion. I know your looking for ppls views but the longer and involved I have become in this hobby I have come to realize its so very subjective and what sounds great/worth it to me might not to you.

Jan 24, 2007 at 6:08 AM Post #22 of 45
Quote:

Originally Posted by OpusRob /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Kramer, can you clarify for a simple mind? Does that mean that you don't need to spend a lot to get a reasonably good amp experience for Grado phones?

Yeah, thats what I have found. You should be aware that I found the SR325i (and MS1i) to be painfully heavy. They just don't have enough headband padding to adequately cushion the weight of the earcups.

I'll PM you the rest of what I have to say.
rs1smile.gif
rs1smile.gif

Garrett

Jan 24, 2007 at 6:17 AM Post #23 of 45
Quote:

Originally Posted by The Other Allen /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I didn't need to bend the headband and never had any issues with the bowls (though they did get more comfortable after a while.) YMMV. They are indeed great headphones IMHO -- enjoy!!

I'm with ya on that one too! I was so glad to get a new pair of 225's that had much more of a snug fit than me 2nd hand SR80's. the previous owner does have a slightly larger head than mine but like me boots I prefer me headphones to have a snug fit as well. never a problem with the bowls either. even prefer them to over the ear phones which leave me feeliing like I got a helmet on.

Jan 24, 2007 at 6:20 AM Post #24 of 45
Quote:

Originally Posted by Michael415 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thats a tall order, I think most ppl recommend the cans they prefer and by common sense have purchased. Is there a reason why you don't go and audition the cans yourself for an unbiased opinion. I know your looking for ppls views but the longer and involved I have become in this hobby I have come to realize its so very subjective and what sounds great/worth it to me might not to you.

Because no store has them in my area. Or else i would in a heartbeat.

Jan 24, 2007 at 6:27 AM Post #25 of 45
unless someone could go on the grado official site and see if there are any dealers in the tucson area that would carry grado's.

I would check the site myself, but for some reason safari (mac browser) shuts down when i log onto grado labs. if someone could check for me that would be cool.

Jan 24, 2007 at 6:31 AM Post #26 of 45
I would think you would want an opinion from people who DO own them. Usually, if someone owns them and recommends them, it means they enjoy them enough to recommend them to you. And most of the people recommending them to you have owned multiple pairs of Grados and other brands of cans, which is all the more reason to listen to their recommendations. Also in many cases, they have purchased them because they like the way they sound and have auditioned them first.

I wouldn't necessarily want a recommendation from someone who doesn't own a set and has only had limited time to spend listening to them. You really only become intimate with a pair of headphones/IEMs when you have time to sit and enjoy them with your own music, on your own source player (and if applicable your own amps and cables, too).

People here won't try to steer you in the wrong direction. By and large, they know what they are talking about.
wink.gif

Jan 24, 2007 at 6:40 AM Post #27 of 45
Quote:

Originally Posted by newgnr /img/forum/go_quote.gif

So you want.....people who have heard the cans but didn't like them enough to buy them? Rather strange.

People reccomending cans they own isn't bias - most of us tested stuff and bought the ones we like. I've now heard the whole Grado Lineup through the RS-1 (except the HF-1 and MS2i), and I can safely say I'd take a pair of SR225 unamped over unamped 325i, amped SR-60, SR-80, SR-125, or MS-1 any day of the week.

Jan 24, 2007 at 6:45 AM Post #28 of 45
Quote:

Originally Posted by Arainach /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So you want.....people who have heard the cans but didn't like them enough to buy them? Rather strange.

People reccomending cans they own isn't bias - most of us tested stuff and bought the ones we like. I've now heard the whole Grado Lineup through the RS-1 (except the HF-1 and MS2i), and I can safely say I'd take a pair of SR225 unamped over unamped 325i, amped SR-60, SR-80, SR-125, or MS-1 any day of the week.

ahh, now that is info I am looking for. maybe I didn't express myself correctly: I would rather have someone who knows the entire grado lineup (such as yourself) and suggest something.

So basically for the price, the 225's are the cans to get?

Jan 24, 2007 at 6:53 AM Post #29 of 45
ok something just came up, I just found a pair of Senn HD580's for sale at $140 brand new. This is a pretty good deal, is it not?

I have yet to find as good a deal on any brand new grado's, so it is very tempting for me to wannna get the 580's. But i'm really looking for a good rock can like the grado's.

Is there any online place offering tasty deals on grado's, should i pick up this hot deal on the 580's and forget about the grado's, or should i just get the grado's anyway at normal price? god, this is sooo difficult.

Jan 24, 2007 at 7:13 AM Post #30 of 45
Personally I don't reccomend buying new at all. Used is a lot cheaper and if you don't like them you can usually resell them easily and only be out the cost of shipping.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back