Grado Question
Jan 23, 2007 at 8:56 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 45

newgnr

100+ Head-Fier
I'm thinking about getting the Sr60's, but I'm thinking i'm gonna want an amp to go with it. My question is what would be the better deal, getting the 225, 325i, both with out an amp, or the combo of the 60's with an amp.

My music is 85% rock so grado's would suit me well. I am willing to only buy the 225 or 325i only if i can get a deal on them either here or ebay or something. i am willing to buy the 60's new with either a cheap new amp or used more expensive amp.

What combo or which route do you think i should take? thanks.

Jan 23, 2007 at 11:39 PM Post #4 of 45
Quote:

Originally Posted by newgnr /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm thinking about getting the Sr60's, but I'm thinking i'm gonna want an amp to go with it. My question is what would be the better deal, getting the 225, 325i, both with out an amp, or the combo of the 60's with an amp.

My music is 85% rock so grado's would suit me well. I am willing to only buy the 225 or 325i only if i can get a deal on them either here or ebay or something. i am willing to buy the 60's new with either a cheap new amp or used more expensive amp.

What combo or which route do you think i should take? thanks.

IMHO it's better to spend money on a mid-end cans (like MS2) and an amp later.

Jan 24, 2007 at 12:04 AM Post #5 of 45
IMHO cans yield the most bang for the buck. Especially with Grados which dont need "large" amounts of amplification to sound good.

When you say... "unamped" that can mean a LOT of different things. If unamped means plugging straight into a HT receiver, I say skip the amp and scale up the can-ladder. If unamped means plugging into an MP3 flash player, you might re-think that. But even then, many MP3 players have usably good headphone outputs.

I say... go with the SR325i and amp later. When using Grados, I have found that for amps, the point of diminishing returns starts at a fairly low price point, as compared to the cans.

Jan 24, 2007 at 1:25 AM Post #6 of 45
Quote:

I say... go with the SR325i and amp later. When using Grados, I have found that for amps, the point of diminishing returns starts at a fairly low price point, as compared to the cans.

Agreed.

Jan 24, 2007 at 1:36 AM Post #7 of 45
I would go for the 325i and get an amp later. I've had experience with SR-80's and SR-125's with pocket amps. I have also auditioned 325i's. I would have to say to invest in 325i's.

You will have a significantly better experience with 325i's than SR-60+amp. They have much better bass response and just sound better overall.

Plus, down the road, as you spend more time in this forum you will catch the upgrade bug. In that case you will end up getting rid of the SR-60's and upgrading to the 325i's. Then you will get an amp anyways after that
tongue.gif

So I'd say get the 325i's now. They sound amazing unamped, and will really lend well to amping in the future whereas the SR-60's (I would assume, comparing to SR 80's) don't really improve that much unamped.

Jan 24, 2007 at 2:31 AM Post #8 of 45
And yet another vote for SR-325i.

If the SR-60 vs SR-325i difference is similar to MS-1 vs MS2i, then, IMHO, there may not be much of a contest.

Jan 24, 2007 at 2:32 AM Post #9 of 45
When using Grados said:
Kramer, can you clarify for a simple mind? Does that mean that you don't need to spend a lot to get a reasonably good amp experience for Grado phones? I am awaiting the arrival of my MS2i and pondering an amp. I have concluded that it makes some sense to start with a used RA-1 to check out the synergy with the Grado/Grado system. I might be very happy there, or I might want to move on, but the point is that I should get a reasonably solid experience from that combo, right?

Jan 24, 2007 at 2:35 AM Post #11 of 45
IMO the 325i's are way too bright and definately way too heavy. Check out the 225s and get a good warm tube amp or just use the 60s without an amp, they both sound great compared to others at their respective price points.

Jan 24, 2007 at 2:41 AM Post #12 of 45
Quote:

Originally Posted by Redo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Go for the 225's
wink.gif
. It'll save you a few dollars and will sound out of this world. Later on start upgrading your source.

Mine should be here tomorrow or the following day.... can't wait!

Jan 24, 2007 at 3:01 AM Post #13 of 45
Quote:

Originally Posted by chris in mo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Mine should be here tomorrow or the following day.... can't wait!

They are amazing!! You'll enjoy them quite a bit. Just remember to bend the headband to fit your head, and give the bowls a few days on your ears to adjust.

Jan 24, 2007 at 3:09 AM Post #14 of 45
Quote:

Originally Posted by Redo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
They are amazing!! You'll enjoy them quite a bit. Just remember to bend the headband to fit your head, and give the bowls a few days on your ears to adjust.

I didn't need to bend the headband and never had any issues with the bowls (though they did get more comfortable after a while.) YMMV. They are indeed great headphones IMHO -- enjoy!!

Jan 24, 2007 at 4:15 AM Post #15 of 45
go with the 60's...if you love what you hear then upgrade.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back