GRADO PS2000e MINI REVIEW........
May 19, 2020 at 1:14 PM Post #196 of 339
Time to give these a try, have been looking at them too long! Order placed.

Congratulations and Good for you..... I found these benefitted from more break in (play) time than most. They will be evolving from the beginning but you should start hearing real improvements as you hit 50 hours. I found at 100 hours they really were showing their stuff. For most comfortable fit you can as in any Grado make adjustments by gently bending the head band to optimize both comfort and sound. They are not particularly amp sensitive but they do scale up nicely. Which amp will you be using?
They get a lot of my head time, IMHO they are the very best headphone that Grado has ever made. That includes the wonderful classic Joseph Grado HP1000 series, I happen to have the HP2 and love it but I love the PS2000e more.

Enjoy the journey.

GRADO PS2000e  close.jpg
GRADO PS2000e.jpg

May 19, 2020 at 2:05 PM Post #197 of 339
Congratulations and Good for you..... I found these benefitted from more break in (play) time than most. They will be evolving from the beginning but you should start hearing real improvements as you hit 50 hours. I found at 100 hours they really were showing their stuff. For most comfortable fit you can as in any Grado make adjustments by gently bending the head band to optimize both comfort and sound. They are not particularly amp sensitive but they do scale up nicely. Which amp will you be using?
They get a lot of my head time, IMHO they are the very best headphone that Grado has ever made. That includes the wonderful classic Joseph Grado HP1000 series, I happen to have the HP2 and love it but I love the PS2000e more.

Enjoy the journey.

Thanks! Been reading your comments on here (among others) and thought it was time to bite the bullet! Will be using them with the Luxman P-750u and the Moon Neo 430HA.
I did own the original PS1000 when it first came out so have some idea what to expect, although from what I've been reading the sound has changed a little since then.

Last edited:
Jun 2, 2020 at 11:22 AM Post #201 of 339
I have finally broken in my PS2000e phones, and with my Ampsandsound Kenzie amp they are truly formidable! I recently discovered Nightwish, a Finnish operatic rock group. Their album Over The Hills And Far Away is incredible... Listen to it on Tidal if you can, the richest bass I have heard from any Grado!

Jun 2, 2020 at 1:04 PM Post #202 of 339
Great to hear, congratulations once again. They may yet surprise you and still evolve a little more unless you have passed 200 hours of playtime.

Enjoy your favorite music all over again.

Jun 13, 2020 at 6:10 PM Post #205 of 339
I received my newly purchased PS2000e just couple of days ago and would like to share my initial experience with it, both +/-.

I purchased it directly from Oceania's authorized dealer "AddictedToAudio" via their website. The shipping time to New Zealand was excellent, just 1 week, regardless all the known issues with the covid thing happening around.

Negatives (-):

These ones are particularly frustrating as to buy a $2,700 headphones which have these kind of issues straight out of the box:

1. Opened the box, took out the headphones and couldn't believe my eyes - the foam pads from the both ear-pads are damaged and it can't get restored to the original shape. Here are the shots I've taken:

1592086002480.png

1592086023605.png

1592086052931.png

2. My next frustration happened when I removed the protective foam from the ear-cups and discovered that the color of the metal part, which must be grey smoke, is distorted kind of green-isn / blue-ish / purple-ish, kind of rainbow range colors and not one even grey smoke color. It is the color looks like when a metal undergoes extreme temperature variations and that kind of distortion color gets created on the metal surface. But I could be wrong what caused this happened and it could be something else that effected the distortion color. It would be good to know if someone experienced same color distortion on the metal part of the ear-cups. Here are the shots:

1592086074534.png

1592086128478.png

1592086149040.png

3. Another minus for me was the headband where, unlike my other PS1000e, it can't be set a little bit shorter, the headband rod is adjusted to the minimum position, and hence the headphones sit a bit above my ears and becomes loose on my head. On my PS1000e this is not an issue and the headphones sits just right on my head. I'm not sure if this headband's length is a common issue across the whole range of the 2000e model, or it's just my particular pair. It would be good to know if someone experienced same discomfort with the headband.

Positives (+):

The plus is for the sound, I really like how it sounds and like it better than my PS1000e in just any direction: frequencies, sound stage, image depth,. etc. I never use any technical or theoretical approaches to compare sound qualities, but rather use just my purely subjective feelings of what I hear from headphones, kind of 'enjoy it or not', these PS2000e gives not just listening experience but also where I can feel the music.
Also, the sound gets very different when I swap between my 3 best power cords, connected to my all-in-one player "TEAC NT-503". The best sound for me is with my "Nanotec Golden Strada #309" cord, which gives more clarity and bigger depth of the soundstage stretching further into all 3 dimensions.

Anyway, at the end I contacted the dealer (and the Grado team as well) to ask for new replacement as it's really unacceptable and frustrating experience. It's weekend now, have to wait Monday for the answer...

Last edited:
Jun 13, 2020 at 7:59 PM Post #207 of 339
I don't mind for the replacement if all 3 issues be fixed in the replacing headphones. But if not then defenately refund.

Jun 14, 2020 at 3:00 AM Post #208 of 339
I received my newly purchased PS2000e just couple of days ago and would like to share my initial experience with it, both +/-.

I purchased it directly from Oceania's authorized dealer "AddictedToAudio" via their website. The shipping time to New Zealand was excellent, just 1 week, regardless all the known issues with the covid thing happening around.

Negatives (-):

These ones are particularly frustrating as to buy a $2,700 headphones which have these kind of issues straight out of the box:

1. Opened the box, took out the headphones and couldn't believe my eyes - the foam pads from the both ear-pads are damaged and it can't get restored to the original shape. Here are the shots I've taken:

2. My next frustration happened when I removed the protective foam from the ear-cups and discovered that the color of the metal part, which must be grey smoke, is distorted kind of green-isn / blue-ish / purple-ish, kind of rainbow range colors and not one even grey smoke color. It is the color looks like when a metal undergoes extreme temperature variations and that kind of distortion color gets created on the metal surface. But I could be wrong what caused this happened and it could be something else that effected the distortion color. It would be good to know if someone experienced same color distortion on the metal part of the ear-cups. Here are the shots:

3. Another minus for me was the headband where, unlike my other PS1000e, it can't be set a little bit shorter, the headband rod is adjusted to the minimum position, and hence the headphones sit a bit above my ears and becomes loose on my head. On my PS1000e this is not an issue and the headphones sits just right on my head. I'm not sure if this headband's length is a common issue across the whole range of the 2000e model, or it's just my particular pair. It would be good to know if someone experienced same discomfort with the headband.

Positives (+):

The plus is for the sound, I really like how it sounds and like it better than my PS1000e in just any direction: frequencies, sound stage, image depth,. etc. I never use any technical or theoretical approaches to compare sound qualities, but rather use just my purely subjective feelings of what I hear from headphones, kind of 'enjoy it or not', these PS2000e gives not just listening experience but also where I can feel the music.
Also, the sound gets very different when I swap between my 3 best power cords, connected to my all-in-one player "TEAC NT-503". The best sound for me is with my "Nanotec Golden Strada #309" cord, which gives more clarity and bigger depth of the soundstage stretching further into all 3 dimensions.

Anyway, at the end I contacted the dealer (and the Grado team as well) to ask for new replacement as it's really unacceptable and frustrating experience. It's weekend now, have to wait Monday for the answer...

Don't know if this is relevant but I notice your pair came with the old box. Mine arrived in the new box.

Last edited:
Jun 14, 2020 at 3:41 AM Post #209 of 339
that is very disappointing. assuming that it is a new pair, it should never have left grado labs looking like that.

Last edited:
Jun 14, 2020 at 10:24 AM Post #210 of 339
Don't know if this is relevant but I notice your pair came with the old box. Mine arrived in the new box.
Yes, that's the box I received, just the same one as I got my other PS1000e 3 years ago. Is there a new re-designed box for the PS2k ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back