GRADO PS2000e MINI REVIEW........
Jun 14, 2020 at 12:07 PM Post #211 of 339
DSCN2204 (2).JPG

Last edited:
Jun 14, 2020 at 12:26 PM Post #214 of 339
I received my newly purchased PS2000e just couple of days ago and would like to share my initial experience with it, both +/-.

I purchased it directly from Oceania's authorized dealer "AddictedToAudio" via their website. The shipping time to New Zealand was excellent, just 1 week, regardless all the known issues with the covid thing happening around.

Negatives (-):

These ones are particularly frustrating as to buy a $2,700 headphones which have these kind of issues straight out of the box:

1. Opened the box, took out the headphones and couldn't believe my eyes - the foam pads from the both ear-pads are damaged and it can't get restored to the original shape. Here are the shots I've taken:

1592086002480.png

1592086023605.png

1592086052931.png

2. My next frustration happened when I removed the protective foam from the ear-cups and discovered that the color of the metal part, which must be grey smoke, is distorted kind of green-isn / blue-ish / purple-ish, kind of rainbow range colors and not one even grey smoke color. It is the color looks like when a metal undergoes extreme temperature variations and that kind of distortion color gets created on the metal surface. But I could be wrong what caused this happened and it could be something else that effected the distortion color. It would be good to know if someone experienced same color distortion on the metal part of the ear-cups. Here are the shots:

1592086074534.png

1592086128478.png

1592086149040.png

3. Another minus for me was the headband where, unlike my other PS1000e, it can't be set a little bit shorter, the headband rod is adjusted to the minimum position, and hence the headphones sit a bit above my ears and becomes loose on my head. On my PS1000e this is not an issue and the headphones sits just right on my head. I'm not sure if this headband's length is a common issue across the whole range of the 2000e model, or it's just my particular pair. It would be good to know if someone experienced same discomfort with the headband.

Positives (+):

The plus is for the sound, I really like how it sounds and like it better than my PS1000e in just any direction: frequencies, sound stage, image depth,. etc. I never use any technical or theoretical approaches to compare sound qualities, but rather use just my purely subjective feelings of what I hear from headphones, kind of 'enjoy it or not', these PS2000e gives not just listening experience but also where I can feel the music.
Also, the sound gets very different when I swap between my 3 best power cords, connected to my all-in-one player "TEAC NT-503". The best sound for me is with my "Nanotec Golden Strada #309" cord, which gives more clarity and bigger depth of the soundstage stretching further into all 3 dimensions.

Anyway, at the end I contacted the dealer (and the Grado team as well) to ask for new replacement as it's really unacceptable and frustrating experience. It's weekend now, have to wait Monday for the answer...

Congrats on your purchase, sorry about your problem, but hey, that's a lovely power cable there! I also have the #308 version too.

Jun 15, 2020 at 11:13 PM Post #215 of 339
From Grado a couple of weeks ago. Only fault I could find with mine was a kink in the cable. I wonder if you've received a used pair, looking at your pics?
Yes, it could be so. Yesterday the dealer agreed to send me the replacement pair so fingers crossed the new pair will be with no issues...

Last edited:
Jun 16, 2020 at 12:20 AM Post #216 of 339
I worked with Grado last year, I got a 4pin cord put on. Well they sent the wrong one, but they told me to sent it back and they made it right. They're a great company IMO! Hope everything works out for you with your PS2000e!!

Jun 16, 2020 at 12:34 AM Post #218 of 339
Somehow I don't feel it left Grado in that condition. Those look seriously used to my eyes.
i wouldn't know about that but i do know the dealerr, and they're not in the habit of selling used gear. they do sell the odd demo model and it is clearly identified on their website. they may sell "open-box" items, but i doubt that they would knowingly sell something that is so obviously flawed.

Last edited:
Jun 16, 2020 at 12:45 AM Post #219 of 339
It is still such a mystery to me about that distorted multi color on the metal part of the ear-cups. Even if the headphones were used, how could it effect that color to appear ? It is really weird...

Jun 16, 2020 at 12:54 AM Post #220 of 339
grado's quality assurance used to be patchy. my new ps1000 arrived with dings on the ear cups, but i assumed that they had improved in that department in recent years.

Jun 16, 2020 at 1:26 AM Post #221 of 339
grado's quality assurance used to be patchy. my new ps1000 arrived with dings on the ear cups, but i assumed that they had improved in that department in recent years.
This is their own citation for the PS2000e part on Grado's website:

"To build our finest headphone yet, you can trust that we used all the best stuff. From the speaker chassis, to the wire, voice coil and magnets, we researched and selected materials of the highest grade..."

To my understanding, QA control is a must before a headphones leave the factory, especially for the flagship of the company with 50+ years in business.

Last edited:
Jun 16, 2020 at 1:43 AM Post #222 of 339

"To build our finest headphone yet, you can trust that we used all the best stuff. From the speaker chassis, to the wire, voice coil and magnets, we researched and selected materials of the highest grade..."

To my understanding, QA control is a must before a headphones leave the factory, especially for the flagship of the company with 50+ years in business.
to be fair grado's quality control still a bit questionable but that headphone condition is too obvious, it doesn't make sense if that headphone passed and that dealer is very reputable in australia,i doubt they made stupid mistake like that. my guess would be that headphone is stored in very long time with not ideal conditions, since the box also still used the old styling and i assumed that dealer also being affected with the lockdown in australia, so perhaps heat built up in the storage room, some humidity maybe.who knows... but they agreed to send you a replacement, that's a good news

Jun 16, 2020 at 1:50 AM Post #223 of 339
to be fair grado's quality control still a bit questionable but that headphone condition is too obvious, it doesn't make sense if that headphone passed and that dealer is very reputable in australia,i doubt they made stupid mistake like that. my guess would be that headphone is stored in very long time with not ideal conditions, since the box also still used the old styling and i assumed that dealer also being affected with the lockdown in australia, so perhaps heat built up in the storage room, some humidity maybe.who knows... but they agreed to send you a replacement, that's a good news
Frankly, I also was thinking about this version and perhaps it could happen, who knows...

Jun 16, 2020 at 2:59 AM Post #224 of 339
Congrats on your purchase, sorry about your problem, but hey, that's a lovely power cable there! I also have the #308 version too.
Yes, my Golden Strada #309 is really impressive for the sound but not so much for the look. When I first received it, thought "ummm meh, it looks thin compared to my other "Furutech FP-S55N" one, which was my best reference power cable. But ones attached Oyaide platinum and palladium-plated connectors (bought it in bulk 2 meters), the sound became very enjoyable and addictive to my ears. Since then never back to my other power cables including the Furutech one. It exactly reflects the saying "Don't judge a book by its cover". The "Golden Strada #309" is a real underestimated hidden treasure with amazing sonic qualities, the Japanese know how to make good power cables for hi-end audio.

Last edited:
Jun 16, 2020 at 4:36 AM Post #225 of 339

well that's just advertising copy, but i sincerely hope that grado's quality control has improved

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back