Grado 'n Grattle *Sigh*
Jan 15, 2011 at 5:26 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

Kiiskinen

100+ Head-Fier
Good evening,

My pair of SR80i's arrived last week, and from the get-go I noticed something weird with the sound. Originally I figured I was just driving them too loud, and turned the volume down, but the feeling that something was wrong on the right side kept bugging me, so I did some testing with panning and EQ, and finally googled it up and from the symptoms I figured it to be the infamous Grado Grattle.

Now at this point I feel it's necessary to mention that I DID google it up, I DID read a TON of threads about the matter, and I DID try ALL of the suggested methods, apart from breaking them open. No dice, although I have a feeling there was an improvement at first, then a slight setback, then an improvement again, and now I'm stuck there.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FZsg7qLtT4M

There's an example of where the problem is at it's worst. Heavy low bass really kills the right phone even at low volumes, while the left one sounds great even at high volumes (higher than what I originally tried them at). There's no such problems with most of my music library, but once low bass becomes involved it all goes very wrong very fast.

What I was hoping to get now is a bit more detailed instructions on how to try and deal with the problem, without voiding the warranty. Blowing, sucking and bass-heavy driving for a few hours is what I've heard and what I've tried, but like I said no dice. But I think most of the instructions were written for people who are somewhat headphone-savvy, and I'm... less than brilliant.

I would be eternally grateful if someone could post some detailed instructions with pictures if possible on where to blow/suck (front, back, middle, all around, vertically, diagonally...), and what all the known possible causes are, aside from the most common hair stuck in the driver. And how likely it is for the right phone to just be broken, which would suck for me because I already paid a bit too much for them (live and learn.. how to use amazon properly) and sending them to US for a hair-removal from Finland would be unpleasant.

Also worth mentioning that the wire on the LEFT phone is slightly (very slightly) loose, but the right phone's wire is perfectly in place. BUT it looks like it could be constantly touching the middle part of the driver from behind, when looking inside the phone from behind. The left phone's wire is placed a bit differently (I can get high res images taken on monday, should they be of any help).

Thanks a ton to anyone who's willing to try and help. I really like the phones -- looks and all -- and would be the happiest person on planet if I got them working perfectly. Well, until the need for an upgrade eventually comes along, hopefully not too soon.

Cheers,

O.K.

Jan 15, 2011 at 5:40 PM Post #2 of 4
Send them back and get new ones.

Nevermind...I missed the part where you are in Finland. If you tried everything except taking them apart...well...take them apart. It's fast and easy and perhaps you will be able to figure out what is wrong with them. I am not much help I know...I just don't know what else to suggest if you have already tried everything you found on the net.

Jan 15, 2011 at 5:49 PM Post #3 of 4

Quote:
Send them back and get new ones.

Nevermind...I missed the part where you are in Finland. If you tried everything except taking them apart...well...take them apart. It's fast and easy and perhaps you will be able to figure out what is wrong with them. I am not much help I know...I just don't know what else to suggest if you have already tried everything you found on the net.

Yeah... I was just hoping I had been doing everything wrong and someone would hop in and show me how it's done properly :/

Taking them apart is my last option, but it's a bit risky if they just happen to be broken and unfixable by me, and I end up voiding the warranty. I don't know if it's worth the risk, so I figured I'd do and double-do everything to death if that might fix it. If not then.. Damn, my good luck with blind-buying has run out.

The wire is really bugging me, because it really looks like it could be touching the driver from the backside. What would happen if I were to try and wiggle said wire with some pointy long object?

Apr 26, 2012 at 2:07 PM Post #4 of 4
bro i got the same problem.My left side driver of sr80i was grattling like hell and then the driver got disconnected when i played some skrillex.I thought it might be a loose soldering then I resoldered it then the sound came back but it still grattle/rattle with high volume bass....

btw...does your grado got channel imbalance ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back