Grado-like IEMs?
Oct 10, 2009 at 11:02 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

ucrags84

100+ Head-Fier
This might be an odd question, but I do like Grado's emphasis on the midrange. But I have some issues that force me to consider an in-ear monitor. It does NOT have to be Grado's IEM brand, I'm looking for other brands if possible too.

1) I need some noise isolation, and can't leak as much noise as the SR-60 would because I take the train everyday and spend a lot of time doing research with coworkers.

2) Style is not as important as size, so full size cans or big earpad cans with a long cable is hard for me to manage as a walk around the city. That's why I'm posting here for IEM's, still I don't want huge Shure's sticking out of my ears.

3) I won't be abusing these earphone, but the housing, connectors and cables should not be fragile as to end up breaking within a few months from regular use.

4) Lastly, the impedance cannot be too high. I need to be able to drive it easily out of a portable unampped.

So, I'm looking for that Grado like sound, and I know there are people here who know much more than me about IEMs. Unfortunately, I can't afford the new Grado in ears. My budget is $100 retail.

I own a pair of Denon C551Ks, but the highs are way too shrill for me even on my lossless files. Feels like there's a rolloff, perhaps I damaged these things when I dropped it a while ago?

At any rate, please give me your suggestions on IEMs with these parameters in mind.

Thank you!
L3000.gif

Oct 10, 2009 at 11:10 AM Post #2 of 17
The GR8 may be out of your lead, but the iGi isn't. I am not too fond of its generic look, but perhaps you won't mind.

Oct 10, 2009 at 1:51 PM Post #3 of 17
I haven't heard the iGi yet, but the GR8 is a phenomenal iem. my gigabeat drives it no problem. Not sure why people judge these things by their "look" - the proof is in the pudding.

so, after pudding them in your ears, they either sound like you want them to or they don't .

sorry, couldn't resist the pun!

Oct 10, 2009 at 3:19 PM Post #4 of 17
While this is still a community that judges a headphone by its sound, I'll also like to think that there is some kind of minimum standard on build quality. The same price of iGi (around $80 IIRC) can get you a rather good looking, well built (and most of the time, good sounding) IEM from other well known manufacturers that don't use generic $5 headphone design. I fail to understand why Grado will not spend just a little more to get a custom housing. I am not saying it has to be blinky, but it certainly doesn't have to look cheap either - That's my personal opinion.

Oct 10, 2009 at 4:47 PM Post #6 of 17
Klipsch Custom 3 and Image X10 has same soundsignature(live, warm and detailed) as Grado headphones and midrange on C3 is very detailed.

Oct 10, 2009 at 7:24 PM Post #8 of 17
I like Grado full size cans and I like my iMetal 590s for an accurate, clear midrange and even balance. Terrific value at $60.

Oct 10, 2009 at 7:33 PM Post #9 of 17
in a very similar boat myself. will use my grados outdoors, though, and hopefully similar sounding IEM's at home. i grow tired of getting ear ache whenever i fall asleep with them sitting on my head.

but i would like the same sound, and (asking too much now) the same soundstage, too. budget £150. sorry for the hijack.

Oct 10, 2009 at 10:54 PM Post #11 of 17
I liked my lowly Marshmallows ($20) once I EQ'd them to boost the treble, balancing out what was otherwise a very muddy presentation. The result is not on par with a pair of Grados, but it's a far cry better than what I started with.

Oct 13, 2009 at 3:00 AM Post #15 of 17
I am interested to hear what people think of the igi...i haven't seen any reviews for it

Users who are viewing this thread

Back