Grado L-Cush Worth It?
May 28, 2007 at 10:17 PM Post #3 of 25
the name threw me off, thinking it was some weird, thirdparty thing like my liberators

we call these bowls

most people, including myself, find these uncomfortable, and some are willing to put up with the discomfort of the white mesh rubbing against the outer parts of your ear because they like the sound.

it brings out the highs, adds a little bit of soundstage. percussion sounds very nice with bowls, imo. some people put tape on the edges to improve the bass

May 28, 2007 at 10:22 PM Post #4 of 25
I put the bowls on my 60s and have no issues with comfort. Well, a bit when I am using glasses. They do sound more immediate, however. The sound is more balanced to my ears when I put on the flats. You can get them from TTVJ.com) They are more comfortable when I wear glasses.

You may know this, but you can improve the comfort of the Grado by bending out the headband a bit. This reduces the pressure on the ears.

Good luck.

May 28, 2007 at 10:31 PM Post #5 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by feh1325 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
most people, including myself, find these uncomfortable, and some are willing to put up with the discomfort of the white mesh rubbing against the outer parts of your ear because they like the sound.

it brings out the highs, adds a little bit of soundstage. percussion sounds very nice with bowls, imo. some people put tape on the edges to improve the bass

Depends on ear size and shape, i have fairly small ears and find bowls perfectly comfortable...

May 28, 2007 at 10:37 PM Post #7 of 25
I prefer bowls on my SR60. IMHO it helps to alleviate the congested resolution and collapsed soundstage image of the comfy pads.

Mids are way too froward with comfies... very un-natural sounding IMHO. Bass with stock comfies lacks air, texture and detail resolution.

May 28, 2007 at 10:41 PM Post #8 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by kramer5150 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I prefer bowls on my SR60. IMHO it helps to alleviate the congested resolution and collapsed soundstage image of the comfy pads.

Mids are way too froward with comfies... very un-natural sounding IMHO. Bass with stock comfies lacks air, texture and detail resolution.

Kramer- Did you make your own or buy em?

May 28, 2007 at 10:45 PM Post #9 of 25
best place to buy em is the FS forum here at headfi!
or if you want to be even cooler, you can buy em from our sponsors. i think ttvj offers a 10 dollar discount for first time customers

May 28, 2007 at 10:46 PM Post #10 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pangaea /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Kramer- Did you make your own or buy em?

I should clarify... I'm using grado Bowls, the ones included on the SR80-325i and RS series phones. So... not a DIY. You can get em' from Todd or Tyll for around $15. I tried making my own foam earpads, from some packaging foam at work. I couldn't get them to look good at all.

The best looking DIY grado pad I've seen is munkongs yellow duck pad.

May 28, 2007 at 11:31 PM Post #11 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pangaea /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Best place to buy them??? They seem exp. on Amazon for what is essentially... foam.

Unfortunately, the pads are relatively expensive. I paid $30 for my flat pads from TTVJ, and bowls will run you about half that.

May 28, 2007 at 11:40 PM Post #12 of 25
The bowls on the SR-60s are a nice improvement...just about turns them into SR-80s at a fraction of the cost. The highs are tamed, bass improves and so does sound stage. The foam is good quality too.

May 28, 2007 at 11:44 PM Post #13 of 25
Quote:

best place to buy em is the FS forum here at headfi!
or if you want to be even cooler, you can buy em from our sponsors. i think ttvj offers a 10 dollar discount for first time customers

How do you get the 10 dollar off discount? That would certainly make it worth it...

May 29, 2007 at 12:07 AM Post #15 of 25
Quote:

i think you get the coupon when you register at his site

Yeah, when you register, you'll get an email from Todd with a promotion code that automatically subtracts 10 dollars from your current order. Just be careful to get the code before you order something, or else you'll end up like me forgetting the discount and missing out on a great deal.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back