Grado igi's must cause brain damage...
Nov 29, 2009 at 9:08 AM Post #32 of 48
Quote:

Originally Posted by dongringo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I should also say that I didn't spend more than 15 minutes with the iGi because it wasn't the sound I was looking for, but I did compare them with the REO and I thought they sounded a bit smoother, actually had more bass than the REO, but no too much. On my set up I had to bring the bass on the eq way up on the REO, something I didn't have to do on any other IEM besides the Westone 1, which I didn't like at all.

Are you saying that this 'head-fi' store had a demo sample of the RE0?

Nov 29, 2009 at 1:54 PM Post #33 of 48
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bilavideo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well, you're right about that. The sportband really doesn't have the same flexibility and accessibility as the traditional headband. I didn't like it, either. It was, however, uniquely Grado. Typically, the driver that comes with this style is about the size of quarter, if not a dime. These iGrados have the full-size driver, making the wearer look like he or she is wearing silver dollars (or those marshmallow cookies).

Sportband? Are you talking about the iGi or the iGrado? Wasn't tstarn06 referring to the iGi -- for which I echo the fit comments. My mistake, see below!

Nov 29, 2009 at 4:26 PM Post #34 of 48
He's talking about the iGrado, which he liked but the headband/fit bugged me, enough so I could not get past it for the SQ. I sold mine within a couple of weeks. I was referring to the iGrados as well. Just to clear it up. Have not tried the iGi. I ordered them but cancelled. I would love to try the GR8s though, but not sure how withou shelling out $299 or thereabouts. I do have a pair of Cyclone PR1s, Sleek SA1s and RE252s coming, however (the RE25s a review pair). But I want to try those GR8s, for sure.

Nov 29, 2009 at 7:39 PM Post #36 of 48
Quote:

Well, the sound I prefer is upfront and in your face, like being on stage playing the music with the band. I don't like to feel distanced from the music. I'm not a musician, but this is the feeling my Grado RS1i's give me and this was the sound I was purposefully looking for when I went to the store. This is why I passed over many IEM's in a short period of time. The funny thing is, I didn't expect to find that Grado like sound from Grado. I just didn't think it could be done. I only wanted to find the one that was close enough to it.

The iGi really doesn't sound 'Grado' like to me and I'm wondering if they even wanted it to. They may have actually wanted to put out an IEM specifically for people who like a bassy, more neutral sound on the go. I can only speculate. It just doesn't have the upfront highs and mids of rest of the Grado line, at least this was my perception at the time, and I didn't listen long because the GR8 was in front of me and I just had to try them.

Once I tried the GR8 I felt no need to go back to the lesser priced IEM's. They truly deliver that upfront Grado sound I love, the detailed mids and crystal clear highs (though smooth), and a punchy bass response. For a lot of people I think they may not have enough bass. It all depends on the set up I suppose. I only tried one that you mention, the ER4. I also tried the IE8. Both of those to me sounded nice and clear (for lack of a better word), but sounded like they had too much bass imo. But when I first started listening to the GR8 they sounded like they didn't have enough bass. But after going back to the GR8 from the IE8 the bass sounded perfect to me. The Westone 3 was the closest to the GR8, but sounded harsher. I kept going back to the GR8. It just sounded more balanced and smoother. This was the same thing that happened when I was trying out headphones. I kept going back to the Grados. So to my ears, they actually surpassed at least three IEM's that cost more. I'm wondering if the GR8 would have cost more than $300 if they came with a case, more accessories, and were made of wood or metal. It seems like they were actually trying to keep the cost down. They might look cheap, but they sure don't sound cheap.

It was a fascinating experience to try so many different kinds back to back, but I'm far from an expert in sound reproduction. I just know what sounds good to me. I'm listening to the GR8 now and they sound really, really good.
smile.gif

Thanks for the details. I enjoyed reading your impressions of the GR8. You make me want to try these out.

Nov 30, 2009 at 1:55 AM Post #38 of 48
My iGis are also comfortable, which really helped me acclimate to them. I thought the sound on my cheap JVC "marshmallow" IEMs was OK, but they were so uncomfortable that I finally gave up on them.

Let us know how they sound after you've broken them in for a month or so. My iGis, quite frankly, did not sound very good until I'd used them heavily for a couple of weeks. And even since then, they've slowly "loosened up" (for lack of a better term) even more. I think they sound really good for the price--I may look at GR8s when things get better money-wise.

Just in comparison to the cheaper ones I tried, the iGis just sound so much more musical and natural. I can just imagine how much better $300 IEMs may sound in comparison to $80 IEMs...

Dec 1, 2009 at 2:58 AM Post #40 of 48
I deleted all my posts because now that I don't have a selection of IEM's to compare the GR8's to, it leaves me feeling under qualified. I don't want my ever so brief blitz through IEM land to sway anyone from getting what might be right for them. All I can say now is that the GR8's sound like a Grado, they sound amazing to me, and that's all that matters because I'm the one feeling sorry for my wallet.
wink_face.gif

Dec 1, 2009 at 3:02 AM Post #41 of 48
No reason to do that, because your opinion has piqued a lot of interest in these phones. In the end, the concept of buy and try rules, so no one will blame anyone else should they decide the GR8 isn't really for them. They can always sell or return them. THanks for your input.

Dec 1, 2009 at 7:32 AM Post #42 of 48
Quote:

I deleted all my posts because now that I don't have a selection of IEM's to compare the GR8's to, it leaves me feeling under qualified. I don't want my ever so brief blitz through IEM land to sway anyone from getting what might be right for them. All I can say now is that the GR8's sound like a Grado, they sound amazing to me, and that's all that matters because I'm the one feeling sorry for my wallet.
wink_face.gif

I agree with the post above mine. You have every right to sing the praises of an earphone that did it for you. Since I haven't heard these phones yet, your news-from-the-front is very much appreciated.

Dec 2, 2009 at 1:49 AM Post #43 of 48
Thanks for your support guys. I guess deleting posts was a bit much. I just started feeling self conscious because it was my first time comparing IEMs and I'm not one of the people on the forum with lots of experience and a huge arsenal of gear.

I still believe I walked out of the store with by far the most Grado like sound and a fantastic product.

It could have come with a case, but I just use an ibasso pouch that works just fine.

Mar 11, 2012 at 9:14 AM Post #44 of 48
I've been listening to a pair of igis for over 3 months, they sound great for the money. A warm-sounding mid is their trademark without the agressive  bass or treble.  Plus you get to send them back to brooklyn ny to have them fix anytime they broke. 

Great service, great sound.  

Aug 5, 2012 at 1:03 PM Post #45 of 48
I've been a fan of grado headphones for a long time, but was apprehensive of purchasing these iGIs. I have a disability that affects my fongers and hands, that so many of the IEMs I bought don't last long. Enter the iGIs.

I've had these for over 4 months, been i the washer and dryer once, and they still sound the best ; very smooth, uncolred, very neutral. plus, the spongy design around the heart helps with its longevity. The only thing that went wrong was I tried to fit another sleeve into a speaker and the molding started to peel off,. No problem there, as I sent them to grad hq, and they sent me a new pair free of charge. With great products comes execellent service, and grado labs never disappoints in all areas.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back