Grado igi's must cause brain damage...
Nov 5, 2009 at 2:10 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 48

TastyBeanSprout

New Head-Fier
...because no one seems to want to share their thoughts (besides the single review i have found on head-fi). Cmon, somebody must have some first hand knowledge about these iems. I dont think i'm the only one who is curious.

Nov 5, 2009 at 2:49 AM Post #2 of 48
Quote:

Originally Posted by TastyBeanSprout /img/forum/go_quote.gif
...because no one seems to want to share their thoughts (besides the single review i have found on head-fi). Cmon, somebody must have some first hand knowledge about these iems. I dont think i'm the only one who is curious.

The IEMs are brand new. Grado is not particularly forthcoming with review samples, and very few of the people who frequent the IEM forum have an intimate relationship with Grado. The initial feedback has been mixed, so I'm sure I am not the only one in no particular rush to shell out 80 clams.

Nov 5, 2009 at 3:23 AM Post #3 of 48
...But still I cannot think of any other highly anticipated or sought after product (people have been lusting for Grado IEMs for years) that finally hit the market without even a whimper. I agree with the OP, I am really surprised how little has been made of these (or the higher end model for that matter). And they have been out there now for a couple months.

Nov 5, 2009 at 3:44 AM Post #4 of 48
Probably due to the increase influx of IEMs and competition. And, though there are people who love grados there are many that don't like it's sound signature, thus why there's not a lot of interest with them. Or that since people already have their headphones no need for IEMs? Or other theories that may come up lol.

Nov 5, 2009 at 6:03 AM Post #5 of 48
Maybe people are afraid of having the Grado sound all up in their earholes? "Hey, we've got these really bright, uncomfortable, in-your-face sounding headphones -- how about we file them down into a short spike, and then actually jam them right on into your ears!!"
smile.gif
I kid, I kid.

Nov 5, 2009 at 6:12 AM Post #7 of 48
well they also have the GR8 grado, or I think that's what they're called but hefty price of $300 USD. Even their portable iGrado aren't that great from what I heard. And, back to the GR8, they don't look all that spectacular from the spec sheet. Though, they could sound spectacular, who knows.

Nov 5, 2009 at 6:51 AM Post #8 of 48
I don't want to sound like I am bashing them (own MS1 and love my SR325i), but Grado is so way out-of-sync from the portable headphone market that it makes me wonder they even bother making the iGi. I can't say I see any passion or effort was putted into the design of it - that itself is enough to discourage me.

Nov 5, 2009 at 6:45 PM Post #9 of 48
Quote:

Originally Posted by ClieOS /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't want to sound like I am bashing them (own MS1 and love my SR325i), but Grado is so way out-of-sync from the portable headphone market that it makes me wonder they even bother making the iGi. I can't say I see any passion or effort was putted into the design of it - that itself is enough to discourage me.

and how did they sound to you? Or, are you just judging them on whether they have pins stripes and mag wheels?

I've been listening to the iGi's, but mostly to the GR8's which I like very much (and am not especially a Grado fan-boy).

more to follow -

Nov 5, 2009 at 8:21 PM Post #11 of 48
Quote:

Originally Posted by fzman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
and how did they sound to you? Or, are you just judging them on whether they have pins stripes and mag wheels?

I've been listening to the iGi's, but mostly to the GR8's which I like very much (and am not especially a Grado fan-boy).

more to follow -

He was simply remarking on the uninspiring design and overall lack of differentiation of the product grado released. I have no problem with the looks if the sound is competitive (early impressions are certainly not unanimously positive). I am sure that the iGi will garner a lot of praise, especially from old-school head-fiers who automatically assume that everything with a sub-$100 price tag should sound like stock buds. I call it the JVC Marshmallow effect - expectations so low that when they are surpassed, huge storms of unnecessary hype ensue.

Note that I am not bashing the iGi on SQ - I haven't heard them. Just saying that a lot of the Grado faithful have very limited experience when it comes to budget IEMs. This is similar to Headroom placing the SC Titans on their 10 best list.

Nov 5, 2009 at 11:09 PM Post #12 of 48
Regarding the design, some part of me wants say that the uninspired design was completely purposeful. It almost seems like Grado is being a little pretentious here, making the igi's appear so simple and ugly as to be outward proof of the company's "home-growness." I dont know, maybe im being a little over analytical here.

Nov 5, 2009 at 11:41 PM Post #13 of 48
I agree with ClieOS. Hearing the story about how "the kids" urged the older Grado's about getting into earphones and their choice of generic housings makes me feel like it is a weak effort. More of something they didn't want to do but couldn't ignore since the earphone market is blowing up and they couldn't pass up the chance to make the profits.

So, regardless of how they sound they just don't look very interesting and I might say quite a few would agree. They don't seem to be exciting too many people around here. Like a previous posted said, "in no particular rush" to shell out the $$$ for them. Neither am I.

Besides, you can get a $99 RE0 or HF5(on sale) instead of paying $299 for the GR8. And the iGi has a ton of competition that is way more proven and sometimes cheaper.

Nov 6, 2009 at 3:50 AM Post #14 of 48
Quote:

Originally Posted by fzman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Or, are you just judging them on whether they have pins stripes and mag wheels?

Don't need the pins stripes and mag wheels, just something decent for the $80 asking price.

As a hobbyist, I think I have spent more time on IEM than many people, even in HF - and over the years, I have been in direct contact with some of the China headphone OEM (and most of them are in the same town and know each other well, so to speak). Though none of them will disclose the actual cost of manufacturing to an outsider (will be foolish if they do), I think I have a fairly good idea how much a pair of IEM actually cost to make (anyone who even manufacture something would probably guess it out anyway, once you factor in the cost and profit each IEM need to make to keep the business alive). One thing for certain, earpeice housing isn't an expensive part of the IEM. If anything, it only costs a few dollars more (we are talking about $1~3 here, not $10~30) to get good quality housing (or at least something different) instead of the cheap generic selection. It is fully reasonable to use something better without adding any burden to Grado or the buyer, yet this is not the case on iGi.

Should I assume Grado decide to use that $3 to improve the sound so they come short on the housing? I am sure some other company already tried that before.

attachment.php

Nov 6, 2009 at 6:11 AM Post #15 of 48
Quote:

Originally Posted by ljokerl /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Note that I am not bashing the iGi on SQ - I haven't heard them. Just saying that a lot of the Grado faithful have very limited experience when it comes to budget IEMs. This is similar to Headroom placing the SC Titans on their 10 best list.

Have your Titans arrived? I'll have to search the numerous Titan threads for your impressions (unless you graciously provide me with a link
smile.gif
). Alot of the Grado faithful have very limited experience when it comes to budget IEMs?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back