Grado HP-2: First Impressions
Sep 22, 2002 at 11:58 PM Post #16 of 35
Quote:

Originally posted by RVD
Those pics are cool KR..., are those the bowl pads on the HP-2's?

My flat pads seem to be in good condition, but leave this little black stuff on my ears and I was wondering if anybody has experienced this and if so do they have any solutions to fix it?

I had both and used both, I have since sold it all to another member here.

Those black pads are toast. I say buy some comfies and mod them, the comfies are what comes with the SR60 and MS1, they are flat, but have no hole.

Sep 23, 2002 at 1:07 AM Post #17 of 35
Quote:

Originally posted by KR...
Those black pads are toast. I say buy some comfies and mod them, the comfies are what comes with the SR60 and MS1, they are flat, but have no hole.

That was what I was afraid of. I was thinking of buying both the bowls and comfies and mod the comfies and see, which pad I like best.

M Rael, I remember seeing this thread awhile back and I might check into buying this case, as it looks pretty good. The case can be seen here:

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/showth...highlight=case

Sep 23, 2002 at 2:50 PM Post #20 of 35
Thank you Hirsch, that thread saved me a lot of possible $$.

Sep 23, 2002 at 6:21 PM Post #21 of 35
This KMP aluminum case.

kmp-closed.jpg

Fully welded seams = dustproof

I haven't got around to cutting out a profile for the cans, they sit quite nicely as they are.

kmp-open.jpg

ok,
erix

Sep 23, 2002 at 11:21 PM Post #22 of 35
OK, I know this question has been asked many times before, but I'm gonna' do it again!

Are the HP-2s the same as the HP-1s with the exception of the phase switches?

smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 23, 2002 at 11:37 PM Post #23 of 35
Quote:

Originally posted by RickG
OK, I know this question has been asked many times before, but I'm gonna' do it again!

Are the HP-2s the same as the HP-1s with the exception of the phase switches?

smily_headphones1.gif

Upon purchasing an HP-1, all owners are required to sign an ironclad agreement stating that they will claim that the HP-1 and the HP-2 are the same except for the phase switches. In fact, the HP-1 is a much better headphone than the HP-2, but Grado didn't want HP-2 buyers to suffer from feelings of inadequacy, which were reserved for purchasers of the HP-3.
very_evil_smiley.gif
very_evil_smiley.gif
Uh oh I could be in trouble here, let me reiterate: The HP-1 and HP-2 are the same headphone except for the phase switches (just in case there's any doubt caused by my sense of humor, this last sentence is the truth AFAIK).

Sep 24, 2002 at 1:34 AM Post #25 of 35
I asked a few questions of the kind folks at Grado Labs about HP-1000's and they told me a few things I didn't know.

-The Ultrwide Bandwidth Reference Cable was standard on HP-1's and an upgrade for 2's and 3's.

-There were, in their words, "very many" HP-1's made.

-a new cable based on the UBRC cable is now being sold by them in the form of an interconnect 'for a limited time'

Get 'em while they're hot...

ok,
erix

Sep 24, 2002 at 3:44 PM Post #28 of 35
erix
Grado has told me the same thing about their reference interconnect.

I question their information about the reference cable's inclusion with the HP-1. My HP-1's cable does not have the white lettering on the cable as others I've seen.

Keep in mind that Grado hasn't had the headphone for over 15 years and thier information may not be as good as even some of ours.

Sep 24, 2002 at 5:10 PM Post #29 of 35
As nearly as I've been able to piece it together, the original HP-1 came with the Signature, not the Reference, cable. The Reference cable appears to have been developed during the creation of the HPA-1 amp (Grado claims that they developed a new cable technology for it in the manual), and is in fact used as the umbilical for the AC power supply of that amp. It may have become standard on the HP-1 after that time, and available as an upgrade to owners of headphones with the Signature cable.

Sep 24, 2002 at 9:08 PM Post #30 of 35
Now I'm confused. I had thought that the reference and signature cables are one and the same.

I have a pair of SR300 with these writings:

'Joseph Grado Signature Ultra-wide Bandwidth Reference Cable'

Users who are viewing this thread

Back