Grado HP-1 & HP-2: Rarity of Signature Cord and On Which Version?
Nov 5, 2002 at 3:45 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 43

yidimsum

500+ Head-Fier
Just trying to post a poll to see what type of cords people have on their HP-1000s, and also which version of HP-1000s you own. I think that the Signature cord on the HP-1 is actually not as rare as generally believed, but that the HP-1 in itself is a rarity compared to the HP-2.
The newer version of HP-1000s has a wet chrome look on the earpieces, versus the older HP-1000s which has a matte metallic look much like the currently produced Grado SR 325. The letters of HP-1000s fall off quite a bit easier on the wet chrome HP-1000s.
Please only post information about HP-1000s that you curretly own, to avoid double postings since some of the HP-1000s have circulated among different Head-Fiers.

Nov 5, 2002 at 4:58 AM Post #5 of 43
Quote:

Originally posted by DanG
What the hell is the difference between "wet chrome" and "matte metallic?" Which one is "gray?"

If you can see your reflection in the earpieces (more or less), then it is the "wet chrome" version. The "wet chrome" version would look highly polished like the tailpipe of a Harley Motorcycle. The "matte metallic" version of the HP-1000s is much like the silver version of the SR 325. It's not as reflective, on KR's website, the HP-2 closeups are the "matte metallic" version. With the "wet chrome" version, taking a photo of it with flash results in a shiny picture that seems overexposed.

Sorry, the HP-1 & HP-2's on KR...'s website appear to be the wet chrome version.

Nov 5, 2002 at 5:11 AM Post #6 of 43
Both of the cables are Signature cables. One is the Grado Signature Laboratory Standard Audio Cable, and the other is the Grado Signature Ultra-High Bandwidth Reference Cable.

Nov 5, 2002 at 5:43 AM Post #7 of 43
Quote:

Originally posted by Hirsch
Both of the cables are Signature cables. One is the Grado Signature Laboratory Standard Audio Cable, and the other is the Grado Signature Ultra-High Bandwidth Reference Cable.

Reference Cable = Grado Signature Ultra-High Bandwidth Reference Cable

Standard Cable = Grado Signature Laboratory Standard Audio Cable

Corrections made, thanks Hirsch for correcting me.

Nov 9, 2002 at 7:12 PM Post #8 of 43
hp1s with reference cable (wet chrome) you forgot to add hp3s to poll. I also have hp3 with reference cable (wet chrome)

Nov 9, 2002 at 7:29 PM Post #9 of 43
HP-1 w/matte finish, standard cable.
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 10, 2002 at 6:21 AM Post #11 of 43
Quote:

Originally posted by bozebuttons
hp1s with reference cable (wet chrome) you forgot to add hp3s to poll. I also have hp3 with reference cable (wet chrome)

You lucky person!
wink.gif

Have you posted your thoughts on the HP-3?
It seems to be the rarest of the HP-1000s.
How do they compare?

Nov 10, 2002 at 6:31 AM Post #12 of 43
What yidimsum calls 'matte metallic' is better described as brushed aluminum. I'm not sure when Grado switched finishes -- I'll try to find out.

Grado switched from the standard to the reference cords about eighteen months into production. The HP-1000 was produced from late 1990 through 1994 -- so for the majority of the time they were produced with the reference cable. I'll try to find actual production numbers. ...

kerely

[Edit: Oh, and I have an HP-2 with the standard cord finished in brushed aluminum. I accidently voted for the HP-1 with that configuration.]

Nov 22, 2002 at 3:31 AM Post #13 of 43
(Resurrecting the dead ...)

Excuse me, but who chose the option 'Grado HP-1 w/ Standard Cord: New Version (Wet Chrome)'? As far as I know, that's an impossible combination, as the reference cord was the only cord in use when Grado switched metal finishes. ...

Also, how many of you with the standard cord have the label "Joseph Grado Signature Laboratory Standard Audio Cable" on it? As far as I can tell, there are actually two types (at least cosmetically) of the standard cord -- one with the label and one without.

Thanks.

kerely

Nov 22, 2002 at 4:08 AM Post #15 of 43
Quote:

Originally posted by kerelybonto
(Resurrecting the dead ...)

Excuse me, but who chose the option 'Grado HP-1 w/ Standard Cord: New Version (Wet Chrome)'? As far as I know, that's an impossible combination, as the reference cord was the only cord in use when Grado switched metal finishes. ...

Also, how many of you with the standard cord have the label "Joseph Grado Signature Laboratory Standard Audio Cable" on it? As far as I can tell, there are actually two types (at least cosmetically) of the standard cord -- one with the label and one without.

Thanks.

kerely

My HP-1 says:
"Grado Signature Laboratory Standard Audio Cable"

Users who are viewing this thread

Back