Grado HP-1 & HP-2: Rarity of Signature Cord and On Which Version?
Nov 22, 2002 at 5:29 AM Post #16 of 43
I finally voted as I just checked to see if I could see my own reflection in the earpieces. I can't, so I suppose I have the brushed aluminum version.

My HP2's cable also says "Grado Signature Laboratory Standard Audio Cable" on it.

Apr 17, 2003 at 1:17 AM Post #17 of 43
... I guess I'll resurrect this thread again ...

I have a HP-2 with the Grado Labs Signature cable.. and since I can't see my reflection, I'm guessing it's the matte version...

[size=xx-small]Being the idiot I am... I voted Wet Chrome edition.. if someone could change my vote...
biggrin.gif
[/size]

Apr 17, 2003 at 1:22 AM Post #18 of 43
As of this writing I have the most popular: HP-1, Standard cord, Matter finish. All I can say is WOW! Great stuff these old Grados.

Apr 17, 2003 at 3:41 AM Post #20 of 43
Quote:

Originally posted by kerelybonto
And you're not even throwing off the results, because I didn't own those HP-1s when this poll was posted.
wink.gif

kerely

Hehe.. I figured I wasn't throwing them off, either, since I don't believe the guy I bought them from frequents Head-Fi..
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 17, 2003 at 3:47 AM Post #21 of 43
Quote:

Originally posted by kerelybonto
And you're not even throwing off the results, because I didn't own those HP-1s when this poll was posted.
wink.gif

kerely

Cool. I missed the fact that this poll was old. I thought it was brandnew at first.
confused.gif
I'm totally glad to have spent the money, and to be able to vote in such a prestigeous poll.

Apr 17, 2003 at 8:03 AM Post #22 of 43
Roughly how many pairs of HP1-3's were produced?

I wonder how many still exist?

Apr 17, 2003 at 8:07 AM Post #23 of 43
Quote:

Originally posted by Rob N
Roughly how many pairs of HP1-3's were produced?

I wonder how many still exist?

About 1000 were handmade. I have no idea how many still exist, but I bet that it is a lot judging from the quality and built construction of these tanks.
biggrin.gif

Apr 17, 2003 at 4:37 PM Post #24 of 43
i believe i have the matte version (since all my letters are intact) of hp-1 with reference cable.

while on joseph grado, my sr200's have the standard cable (unlabeled).

Jul 25, 2005 at 12:03 PM Post #25 of 43
mine are hp2 , reference ultrawide cable , but the finish ... I guess mine are wet chrome since lettering disappeared ? how can you tell ?
mine are metal&shining but I can't tell they're matt ot chrome finished.. are there photos of reference of the two flavours around ?

Jul 25, 2005 at 7:25 PM Post #26 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by boodi
mine are hp2 , reference ultrawide cable , but the finish ... I guess mine are wet chrome since lettering disappeared ? how can you tell ?
mine are metal&shining but I can't tell they're matt ot chrome finished.. there's photos of reference on the two types around ?

Mine are the same as yours boodi - the "wet chrome" new HP2 with ultrawide bandwidth cable. 'cept mine now has Headphile Blacksilver cable.
icon10.gif

Jul 26, 2005 at 4:37 AM Post #29 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jahn
Mine are the same as yours boodi - the "wet chrome" new HP2 with ultrawide bandwidth cable. 'cept mine now has Headphile Blacksilver cable.
icon10.gif

..and from what I understand our pairs are the most beautiful pairs !
tongue.gif
(jk)

Jul 26, 2005 at 11:25 AM Post #30 of 43
Since people seem to get confused over the different Grado cords/cables, I'll repost my observations...

Grado HP-1000 Signature Series
------------------------------

Grado HP-1000 Signature Series Drivers
--------------------------------------
Trasducer type: dynamic
Operating Principle: Open Air
Frequency Response: 18-24 kHz
Nominal impedance: 40 ohms
Drivers matched: 0.05 dB (HP-3 drivers are described as "not matched as closely")
Notes: The UHPLC used in the voice-coils of the HP-1000 drivers was also used in the connecting cables. I've read that the factory-equipped Ultra-Wide Bandwidth Grados also used this cord in the voice-coils. This seem to indicate that there may have been as much as three types of drivers (one for every type of signal cord). Some people have stated that there are drivers with inscriptions on the back (i.e. "Joseph Grado Signature Products") and some without any inscriptions. The Grado SR-200 headphones use the same drivers as the HP-1000 Signature Series.

Grado HP-1000 Signature Series Aluminium Earcups
------------------------------------------------
1st Series: matte surface machined aluminium alloy, flat metal mesh
notes: The earcups don't appear as reflective as the later series

2nd Series: shiny surface machined aluminium alloy, flat metal mesh
notes: Lettering seems to shine a little bit brighter than the earlier series. The surface on which the lettering is placed seems a tiny bit more narrow than the previous matte series.

3rd Series: shiny surface machined aluminium alloy, domed metal mesh
notes: Domed metal mesh appears matte, otherwise similar to 2nd series.

Grado HP-1000 Signature Series Signal Cord
------------------------------------------
1st generation: UNSIGNED
reviewed as: dark, bass firm, treble roll-off (reviewed in The Absolute Sound)

2nd generation: Joesph Grado Signature Ultra-Wide Bandwidth Reference Cable ->
reviewed as: light, bass subdued, treble extended (reviewed in comparison with the "unsigned" cable, The Absolute Sound)
notes: developed by Joe Grado as a response to the alleged treble roll-off of the unsigned cable and offered as an upgrade.

3rd generation: Grado Signature Laboratory Standard Audio Cable
reviewed as: Sufficient bass and extended highs in comparison with the earlier cables
notes: developed by Joe Grado through the accumulated experiences/responses of the two earlier cables to perform as neutral as possible.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back