Grado HF-1 Repair Help Request
Dec 19, 2007 at 5:13 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

SuperNothing

500+ Head-Fier
So I was taking the bowl off the HF-1 I just received and it pulled the driver straight out of the plastic housing off of the hot glue holding it down. I am leaning towards just putting down a thin line of hot glue and pushing it back in but I hope I don't mess it up and ruin the driver. Is it better to do this or to send it back to John for repair. (Although I am not the original owner and I know he wasn't too happy when people started selling their HF-1s.) Should I use a glue other than hot glue? I am afraid I won't do it right though and end up putting too much on. Also I couldn't get up all of the excess hot glue still in the housing and I was wondering what I could use to get it up with out damaging the plastic or making the glue holding the button on release. Thanks for the help in advance guys.

Dec 19, 2007 at 5:17 AM Post #2 of 9
You should send them to me. I'll pay you a $200 salvage fee
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 19, 2007 at 5:20 AM Post #3 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by grawk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You should send them to me. I'll pay you a $200 salvage fee
smily_headphones1.gif

Sounds like a good deal to me.
tongue.gif

Dec 19, 2007 at 5:30 AM Post #5 of 9
Why don't you give Grado a call and ask them? The HF-1 is a rare, collectible headphone and I think it would pay to have the factory fix them as opposed to a DIY solution. If you ever resell them, it will look better to have a factory repair than your own.

Dec 19, 2007 at 5:42 AM Post #6 of 9
maybe its time to get them headphiled? =)

Dec 19, 2007 at 5:47 AM Post #7 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by kamal007 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
maybe its time to get them headphiled? =)

I kinda wanna keep this pair non-headphiled. I think I may get a headphiled version in the future.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Why don't you give Grado a call and ask them? The HF-1 is a rare, collectible headphone and I think it would pay to have the factory fix them as opposed to a DIY solution. If you ever resell them, it will look better to have a factory repair than your own.

I think this is probably the best idea now that I think about. I really don't want to risk ruining them but I am kinda worried about shipping them with the driver non-secured. I am going to call and ask if I can drive them over seeing as I live less than an hour away.

Dec 19, 2007 at 6:40 PM Post #8 of 9
Bit confused, did the driver come out of the wooden housing, or did the wood part (and driver) come away from the plastic outer cup?

If it's the second, then hot glue is probably what Grado will use, so if you have the means and are comfortable with it a small dab or two should suffice. If the driver has come away from the wood, send them in for repair, as Grado uses a particular type of glue for that, and (AFAIK) it's not common knowledge as to what it is.

Edit:

Quote:

Originally Posted by SuperNothing /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think this is probably the best idea now that I think about. I really don't want to risk ruining them but I am kinda worried about shipping them with the driver non-secured. I am going to call and ask if I can drive them over seeing as I live less than an hour away.

Even better! If it was me, I'd try and wrangle a tour of the factory while I was there
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back