Grado HF-1 or RS325is
Jan 12, 2013 at 3:49 PM Post #16 of 24
Absolutely... its not a question of whats "better", and I apologize if my commentary above looks like that.  The question is what does each member subjectively prefer.  Important to keep this distinction in mind as this can confuse readers.

Jan 12, 2013 at 4:05 PM Post #17 of 24
Quote:
Absolutely... its not a question of whats "better", and I apologize if my commentary above looks like that.  The question is what does each member subjectively prefer.  Important to keep this distinction in mind as this can confuse readers.

I was afraid you where going to think this was directed at you and was going to put a note in that it wasn't. By all means this had no reflection on you experience/knowledge or comment!
. I was just expressing my experience in making the wrong choice because I took the word BETTER and misused it when I made my purchase with the MS2i and realized it wasn't what I wanted. By the way if it was, it never would have been traded, they are beautiful sounding headphones, I just didn't get the attack I was expecting. Thanks.

BTW I always interested in your comments,knowledge and opinions, as well as a hand full of others on this forum.

Jan 12, 2013 at 5:18 PM Post #18 of 24
Thanks for the input, everyone. I'm able to try the 325’s a bit, but not the HF-1’s.

Also, the 325's are basically new/mint, whereas the HF-1’s are obviously older but in very good shape.

I listen to mostly 70’s rock/blues rock, Americana/roots and bluegrass. Some funk, classical and jazz, too. All vinyl.

Jan 12, 2013 at 5:24 PM Post #19 of 24
Quote:
OMG I remember you Chris, wow you're MOT now huh?  yeah those bay area meets were a lot of fun... ironbut, Voltron, neilpeart, utep10, AMB.... I'm missing a few too.  Who was the guy with the Orpheus setup in the saratoga hills... brain is farting out.  Bruce (utep10) very generously gave me a bunch of original master recording CDs that I still listen to all the time.  I think it was either utep10 or Voltron that had an old Singlepower toaster that I LOVED plugging my cans into whenever I could.  The sound of that single ended rig is ETCHED into my brain... er at least what I can remember of it.  LOL!!

What ever happened to Jahn, boomana, duggeh and nikongod?... oh if this is too far off topic just feel free to PM me any time!!

I come back, poking my head up looking for a K701 or similarly BIG soundstage, since I am listening to a lot of orchestral/symphonic metal now, and wow have things changed.... well sort of.  Looks like Grados are still ugly, sennheisers (the old ones) are still veiled, and the K701 still has a huge soundstage  (for a dynamic speaker element can).

Lot more Jude pics as avatars now too...LOL!!!

Thanks fellas for the warm welcome... still enjoying the tunes here on my end!! 

Quote:
Quote:
Yes a very important factor for those critical listening sessions when we hear with our eyes.

DUDE. Kramer where have you been?!! You met me when I was a kid back in the day and here I am with LCD-2's and a Member of the Trade! Remember when we went to AMD/ATi and rented out a small conference room? I'm that asian kid!

Will you two be making it to the meet?
http://www.head-fi.org/t/644426/sf-bay-area-meet-on-sunday-february-17-2013-the-one-which-is-really-going-to-happen

Jan 12, 2013 at 8:45 PM Post #20 of 24
Quote:
IMHO, the 325is is better than the PS500.

I really hope that some of you are taking notes here, because if i was trying to decide between the SR325is and the HF1s, and i had no easy way to compare them both, this is the kind of comprehensible, detailed comment that would help me decide wich one i should go with, i mean, who cares if the PS500s weren't part of the tread's starter's question, well done bbophead,

Jan 12, 2013 at 9:06 PM Post #21 of 24
Don't rule of MS2i too.

Jan 12, 2013 at 9:07 PM Post #22 of 24
At this point, I'm leaning towards the HF-1’s. I like the idea of trying the wood-encased drivers and the fact that they're not as common a model. 325is's probably come up for sale more often.

Jan 13, 2013 at 10:31 AM Post #23 of 24
I have the HF-1 as well as the SR325i (not the is). Both are great headphones. The SR325i has more highs and is more direct in the presentation of the music. If you like to listen loud with headphones probably not the best choice. But it is always surprising how much detail and clarity they give at low/moderate volume. I like their bass as well - even if it doesn't go too deep. For me they are the best headphones for vocal reproduction I have heard so far. And guitars...
The HF-1 are different to my ears. More laid back, which makes the listening more relaxed. They have more bass compared to the SR325i and less highs. I have a few CDs which don't go well with the SR325i but the HF-1 is more a generalist and I can listen them with it (or the alessandro MS-pro) as well...
I think both are great headphones and it depends what kind of preferences you have. In case you buy the HF-1 and don't like it. My guess would be you have no problems to re-sell them...

Jan 13, 2013 at 1:45 PM Post #24 of 24
Quote:
Quote:
IMHO, the 325is is better than the PS500.

I really hope that some of you are taking notes here, because if i was trying to decide between the SR325is and the HF1s, and i had no easy way to compare them both, this is the kind of comprehensible, detailed comment that would help me decide wich one i should go with, i mean, who cares if the PS500s weren't part of the tread's starter's question, well done bbophead,

Ur wekkum.

Replying to:  The HF-1 is a better headphone, hands-down.  The HF-1 is sort of a poor-man's version of the RS-1.  It looks plastic like an SR-225, but inside are mahogany cups.  I think its tonal quality and detail is better than the HF-2 or in its current name, the PS500 - and either one of those is better than the SR325, IMHO.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back