Grado GS1000i build quality?
Nov 18, 2010 at 5:22 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

DjAmTraX

Now known as: HiFiGuy528
I think that the lower end Grado cans are kinda cheap looking when compared to Denon and Sennheiser. Is the GS1000i a lot better considering it's price tag?

Nov 18, 2010 at 7:42 PM Post #2 of 5
I've seen them in store, they don't look better in quality than a RS-1 non i; you see more wood and that's about it. Is someone going to be looking at you while you wearing your headphones? I honestly think the load of plastic used on sennheisers for example looks cheap compared to wood chambers and leather headband, how's that?
wink.gif

Nov 18, 2010 at 7:58 PM Post #3 of 5

Quote:
Is someone going to be looking at you while you wearing your headphones? 

Dang right!  Sound trumps looks.

Nov 18, 2010 at 10:16 PM Post #4 of 5
Please don't get me wrong, I like the wood and it's design, but parts of the cans feel cheap.

Nov 19, 2010 at 4:34 PM Post #5 of 5
The actual wood and drivers are sound, but yes, the build quality for the remaining components appears 'cheap'.  The grills let you see everything, but the cables are electrically secure.  I love them, don't get me wrong, but I did make a few changes to improve my satisfaction:
1) I pulled the old rods off and epoxied (JB Weld) 1/8" I think (or 3/32") threaded rods to the little mounting nubs.  After running them back through the plastic 'holders' on the headband I but two brass crown bolts to provide adjustment.  They swivel great and don't constantly fall down.  (Mind you there will be a little playing around to secure the rods into the mounting nubs; you may have to tap it out a little or use a screw extractor to ream it a little.)
2) I carefully moved a 1-hour epoxy about in the hole where the cable comes out of each can to provide a secure fasting to the wood.  (Use a needle and Q-tip for clean-up).  This reduced the tendency of the cables to run in and out (to Grado's hot glue stops).  I didn't like that much since it seems like it could work the cables a little much near the solder points. 

3) -is yet to be done, but I am actually considering putting a mini mono TS jack on each side.  Then I would run a longer lead over the headband to the other side and have an AKG-ish set-up... although a bit frankensteined.  But since these things look so funky to begin with, who cares?  I am still working out the details on this since it requires a heck of a lot more surgery.

gs1000.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back