GRADO GH2 - IMPRESSIONS
Feb 13, 2019 at 4:23 PM Post #61 of 130
Did anyone here upgrade from the Grado SR80i to the GH2? I'm curious how much of a significant upgrade there is. I spent quite a lot of money on modding my Grado SR80i (cocobolo wood shells, 3 "bass/vent holes", felt material to tame highs, genuine leather headband, and TTVJ flat pads) and already love the sound. I am still curious how the GH2 would sound and if it would be a significant upgrade from my modded SR80i's. It'd be great if anyone could chime in, thanks!
For me it was a very big upgrade. But I haven’t modded my 80i’s except for using the TTVJ’s and a home soft leather headband :). Honestly my ears think the gh2’s are in a different league: much more of everything. I still enjoy my unmodded 80i’s on work though.

Feb 13, 2019 at 9:20 PM Post #62 of 130
For me it was a very big upgrade. But I haven’t modded my 80i’s except for using the TTVJ’s and a home soft leather headband :). Honestly my ears think the gh2’s are in a different league: much more of everything. I still enjoy my unmodded 80i’s on work though.

I agree, even with the nice mods I think the GH2 will be the runaway winner in that comparison. It is not even quite the same sonic signature as what might be called the standard Grado signature. Better and more defined bottom with more refinement in the mids and highs. They really thrive as you go past 100 hours of playtime. I hope you have no problem finding a pair as the limited production has stopped some time ago. Could be some new stock with some dealers or to keep an eye out for second hand. Remember, if you hear a new pair, they will significantly improve as they break in (a theory I strongly believe in after many years in retail audio). It has also been my experience with all the Grados I have owned and currently own. Enjoy the ride.

Feb 13, 2019 at 11:04 PM Post #63 of 130
I agree, even with the nice mods I think the GH2 will be the runaway winner in that comparison. It is not even quite the same sonic signature as what might be called the standard Grado signature. Better and more defined bottom with more refinement in the mids and highs. They really thrive as you go past 100 hours of playtime. I hope you have no problem finding a pair as the limited production has stopped some time ago. Could be some new stock with some dealers or to keep an eye out for second hand. Remember, if you hear a new pair, they will significantly improve as they break in (a theory I strongly believe in after many years in retail audio). It has also been my experience with all the Grados I have owned and currently own. Enjoy the ride.

That's good to know. I was able to find one and took the plunge for it. Certainly a lot more than my SR80i even with all the mods. Hope it does do everything I love about my modded SR80i's and does them even better! :L3000:

Feb 14, 2019 at 12:14 AM Post #64 of 130
That's good to know. I was able to find one and took the plunge for it. Certainly a lot more than my SR80i even with all the mods. Hope it does do everything I love about my modded SR80i's and does them even better! :L3000:

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
ESL-1 Reply:

Excellent, good for you. Are they new or second hand? I do think you are in for a fun time and hope you enjoy them as much as I think you will. Please keep us posted and congratulations.

Last edited:
Feb 14, 2019 at 12:18 AM Post #65 of 130

I was able to get them new so I will need some time to burn them in. I will definitely post what I think here once I've spent some time comparing the 2 Grados I'll have. :dt880smile:

Feb 26, 2019 at 4:33 AM Post #67 of 130
Apr 15, 2019 at 2:50 PM Post #68 of 130
I‘ve a GH2 and a 325e...the difference between both is not so great as I thought before I tested them...but there is a difference from my opinion.
The sound of the GH2 is let you hear some small noises of instruments that you hear not with the 325e. But you have to listen very exactly.
Has anyone compared the GH2 with the RS2e? Which is the better one? Which Grado is better than the GH2?

Apr 15, 2019 at 4:20 PM Post #69 of 130
I li
I‘ve a GH2 and a 325e...the difference between both is not so great as I thought before I tested them...but there is a difference from my opinion.
The sound of the GH2 is let you hear some small noises of instruments that you hear not with the 325e. But you have to listen very exactly.
Has anyone compared the GH2 with the RS2e? Which is the better one? Which Grado is better than the GH2?

I like my GH2 better than my RS2 and I also like the GH3 better than the SR325. Better than the GH2 in the Grado line up would have me jumping to the GS2000e, quite a step.

Apr 16, 2019 at 3:28 AM Post #70 of 130
I li

I like my GH2 better than my RS2 and I also like the GH3 better than the SR325. Better than the GH2 in the Grado line up would have me jumping to the GS2000e, quite a step.
Thanks for your assessment. Would you agree that the GH2 sounds a little bit better than the SR325e?

Apr 16, 2019 at 4:22 PM Post #73 of 130
I do like my PS500e very much but think I do prefer the GH2 a wee bit more. I do have a set of Beautiful Audio hybrid ear pads on the GH2 which I find works very well with them, looks good too.

Apr 17, 2019 at 8:29 AM Post #74 of 130
I do like my PS500e very much but think I do prefer the GH2 a wee bit more. I do have a set of Beautiful Audio hybrid ear pads on the GH2 which I find works very well with them, looks good too.
Do you have special hybrid earpads?
Do you know the name and the office where you bought them?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back