Grado GH-1 Discussion
Oct 31, 2015 at 8:03 AM Post #332 of 1,091

Hi,

bought the G Pads to, but I didn´t like it.
I switched to the Sunflower mod.
For me the GH1 couldn´t sound better.
Think I´m finished for a while.

Regards

Oct 31, 2015 at 5:31 PM Post #334 of 1,091
I'm surprised this headphone is still available given the high praise it has received in both forums and in online reviews.  I wonder if the cost is the issue, or if there are not enough extras, such as a nice carrying case, or not being individually serialized.  I thought this headphone would be long gone by this time.

Oct 31, 2015 at 6:19 PM Post #335 of 1,091
I'm surprised this headphone is still available given the high praise it has received in both forums and in online reviews.  I wonder if the cost is the issue, or if there are not enough extras, such as a nice carrying case, or not being individually serialized.  I thought this headphone would be long gone by this time.

Is the plastic gimbals I tell ya :)

Oct 31, 2015 at 9:10 PM Post #336 of 1,091

Yea. I'm actually using the G Pad on the GH-1 right now, and it's sounding pretty good like many people have already reported.
I actually bought the G Pads many years ago for my RS-1i (thinking it will turn into GS1000...), which didn't work too well together.

I can't say which pad sounds better, because they sound totally different. Changing to G Pad isn't perfect, especially the mid is too recessed and loses a bit of substance, but the extended soundstage is amazing.
Switching back to the regular pads makes everything sound shouty and in-your-face, which is not bad and that's how people expect the Grado to sound like.

The fact that GH-1 works well with G Pads mean that it's almost like having two different headphones for the price of one. (though G Pads are pretty expensive for a piece of sponge..).

The G-cush are a bit expensive, but when you consider that they allow the GH-1 to play in the same sand box as the PS1k, it make the pill easier to swallow.
wink.gif

Oct 31, 2015 at 9:39 PM Post #337 of 1,091

Yea it's a shame, because I think the GH-1 is a real gem. The wood looks beautiful too. All the other Grado sounds good too, but GH-1 feels like the most outstanding iconic "Grado" sound where they got everything just right, unlike the mixed opinions people have about the recent "e" models.

I think GH-1 is the perfect model for anyone wanting to buy their first Grado to see what the fuss is all about, or also great for people who want to upgrade from the older lower end "i" models.

The G-cush are a bit expensive, but when you consider that they allow the GH-1 to play in the same sand box as the PS1k, it make the pill easier to swallow.
wink.gif

The G pads are very expensive, so that's why I can't really say that it's a worthwhile upgrade in every way. Some people won't like the sound signature (I still have mixed opinions) and I don't want people thinking that it will immediately transform the GH-1 to sound the same as GS1000/PS1000 which it is not. In any case it's easy to swap the pads, so people should at least try it at the shops or meets if they get a chance.

Oct 31, 2015 at 11:06 PM Post #338 of 1,091

I think the total production was just about if not exactly 1,000 pieces. To my knowledge most if not all of these have already been sold to dealers and distributors and when they have those sold that will be the end of new stock. So although they are still available to purchase it would need to be from someone who has them in stock. As Grado does not get into fancy packaging even on his flagship PS1000e I don't think that would really contribute to any lack of interest even though it would be nice to have those extras it is not an expectation for most.

My advice, try to get to audition a set or if the reviews have tweaked your interest enough and it fits your budget just take the plunge. Due to their limited production status and positive reviews I am sure if you ever decided to part with them in the future you would have a ready market of possible buyers.

I sure do like mine and if I ever decided to start selling off some my collection they would be one of the keepers.

:rolleyes:

Nov 1, 2015 at 5:33 PM Post #341 of 1,091
I finally see or I should say hear what you all mean about the G-Cush on GH1. It must be my skull because some how I can't seem to get a right fit around my ears.
Might be my face and ears are too small rather than the other way round. Or that the G-Cush are too new and too stiff and unyielding and need to break in a bit.
But I fiddled with it and when I get it just about right and keep it firm around my ears with my hands, it sounds...spectacularly good, which it shouldn't but it does. 
The mids are not thin or treble bright. 
At this point, the G-Cush when ever so slightly pressed in with my hands because they tend to protect outward on my jaws, they sound wonderful...even better than the L-Cush.
But finding that perfect placement and pressure seems to be difficult on my head. 

Anyways, since I was the one to put down the G-Cush on the GH1, I thought I report in. 
tongue.gif

Nov 1, 2015 at 6:39 PM Post #342 of 1,091
I really enjoy the GH-1 when I use em, which isn't all that often since I can't wear my glasses with them, but I hope to use those cans more in the future. Maybe I'll even get the G pads someday. Also, I don't think I'm ever going to finish my review. :p

Nov 1, 2015 at 7:54 PM Post #343 of 1,091
  I finally see or I should say hear what you all mean about the G-Cush on GH1. It must be my skull because some how I can't seem to get a right fit around my ears.
Might be my face and ears are too small rather than the other way round. Or that the G-Cush are too new and too stiff and unyielding and need to break in a bit.
But I fiddled with it and when I get it just about right and keep it firm around my ears with my hands, it sounds...spectacularly good, which it shouldn't but it does. 
The mids are not thin or treble bright. 
At this point, the G-Cush when ever so slightly pressed in with my hands because they tend to protect outward on my jaws, they sound wonderful...even better than the L-Cush.
But finding that perfect placement and pressure seems to be difficult on my head. 

Anyways, since I was the one to put down the G-Cush on the GH1, I thought I report in. 
tongue.gif

I also had similar problems when I tried the GS1000 at a shop many years ago. It just never fit me and there was a huge gap below my ear, which made everything sound tinny and thin. A lot of other headphones companies try all sorts of 3D computer geometry designs to make their headphones fit all sort of head shapes, but I guess Grado is a little bit primitive in that regard.
Similarly with in-ear monitors, I think a large portion of the divided reviews and opinions are due to poor fit and seal to each different head and ear shape.

Grado's headband is surprisingly forgiving, so it may be worthwhile bending it with a bit of force. I know it's scary at first, but I've seen many Grado owners have extremely odd-shaped headbands which they bent to suit their head shape. People with large head likes to bend it slightly square, almost like the Abyss headphones. 

Don't blame me if you break anything.

Nov 1, 2015 at 8:39 PM Post #344 of 1,091

I also had similar problems when I tried the GS1000 at a shop many years ago. It just never fit me and there was a huge gap below my ear, which made everything sound tinny and thin. A lot of other headphones companies try all sorts of 3D computer geometry designs to make their headphones fit all sort of head shapes, but I guess Grado is a little bit primitive in that regard.
Similarly with in-ear monitors, I think a large portion of the divided reviews and opinions are due to poor fit and seal to each different head and ear shape.

Grado's headband is surprisingly forgiving, so it may be worthwhile bending it with a bit of force. I know it's scary at first, but I've seen many Grado owners have extremely odd-shaped headbands which they bent to suit their head shape. People with large head likes to bend it slightly square, almost like the Abyss headphones. 

Don't blame me if you break anything.

I had a pair of L-Cush (on a pair of Vintage RS1...) that was so worn that it was almost like a Flat pair.
Hope these will do the same as they break in and soften.  
One of the rare but wonderful benefits of the GH1 is that it works well with any pad (Flats, L-Cush, & G-Cush). And I personally love all three for different genres of music for different moods and reasons. In this way, it just can't be beat.  Really like three different headphones in one. Grado lovers dream really. 

Nov 1, 2015 at 8:44 PM Post #345 of 1,091

Yea it's a shame, because I think the GH-1 is a real gem. The wood looks beautiful too. All the other Grado sounds good too, but GH-1 feels like the most outstanding iconic "Grado" sound where they got everything just right, unlike the mixed opinions people have about the recent "e" models.

I think GH-1 is the perfect model for anyone wanting to buy their first Grado to see what the fuss is all about, or also great for people who want to upgrade from the older lower end "i" models.

The G pads are very expensive, so that's why I can't really say that it's a worthwhile upgrade in every way. Some people won't like the sound signature (I still have mixed opinions) and I don't want people thinking that it will immediately transform the GH-1 to sound the same as GS1000/PS1000 which it is not. In any case it's easy to swap the pads, so people should at least try it at the shops or meets if they get a chance.

Just to be clear, I don't think that the GH-1 with G-cush sounds like the PS1000. However, I do think that with the G-cush, the GH-1's sound signature is similar to the PS1000's.

I agree that the ideal thing to do, would be to try the G-cush at the dealer, but for the people who don't have that chance, it's nice for them to know, that many people actually prefer the G over the L-cush on their GH-1. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back