Grado GH-1 Discussion
Mar 3, 2016 at 8:30 PM Post #646 of 1,091
Thank you gents!  @joseph69 yes sir, I had these before! http://www.head-fi.org/t/530965/grado-fan-club/26640#post_11778536 
wink_face.gif

Mar 3, 2016 at 8:43 PM Post #647 of 1,091
Gee Wormsdriver, wonder how that happened, Santa Claus in a brown uniform and truck?

Enjoy them my friend, in this case the second time's the charm.

Listening to mine right now, a Blues compilation I put together, all high grade cuts.

wink.gif

YES'Sir they got here safe and sound!
smile.gif

First time around was pretty dang good too!
L3000.gif

I sold my Gh1 along with my ps1000e and gs1ke and black star sr325 in order to down size the collection and concentrate on my favorites which are the ps1k and classic rs1. I've only used my ps1k for abou 3 hours in the last 3 months as it is so I had to let some can go. I tell you what though, I would sure like to hear the Ps1ke again, the highs and midrange are just so damn magical I miss it the most. Bass was a different story :-/

Mar 3, 2016 at 9:43 PM Post #648 of 1,091
Gee Wormsdriver, wonder how that happened, Santa Claus in a brown uniform and truck?

Enjoy them my friend, in this case the second time's the charm.

Listening to mine right now, a Blues compilation I put together, all high grade cuts.

wink.gif

Listening to mine as well…Bob James & David Sanborne "Quartette Humaine" featuring Steve Gadd on drums.

Mar 3, 2016 at 9:51 PM Post #650 of 1,091
  YES'Sir they got here safe and sound!
smile.gif

First time around was pretty dang good too!
L3000.gif

I sold my Gh1 along with my ps1000e and gs1ke and black star sr325 in order to down size the collection and concentrate on my favorites which are the ps1k and classic rs1. I've only used my ps1k for abou 3 hours in the last 3 months as it is so I had to let some can go. I tell you what though, I would sure like to hear the Ps1ke again, the highs and midrange are just so damn magical I miss it the most. Bass was a different story :-/

How many hours would you say you had on your PS1Ke?

Mar 3, 2016 at 10:48 PM Post #651 of 1,091

YES'Sir they got here safe and sound!:smile:

First time around was pretty dang good too!:L3000:

How many hours would you say you had on your PS1Ke?
125-150 hours
There was a very nice smoothing out in the treble I remember somewhere close to or passing 100 hours

Mar 3, 2016 at 11:01 PM Post #652 of 1,091
125-150 hours
There was a very nice smoothing out in the treble I remember somewhere close to or passing 100 hours

I would guess I have just under that many hours +/- on my PS1Ke.
I love the mid/high frequencies of the PS1Ke compared to the PS1K…but the thing I miss about the PS1K which I'm waiting for the (e) to achieve is the richness in vocals which were superb! I've never heard better vocal texture/soul than I've heard with the PS1K. I'm sure much has to do with the mid-bass hump of the PS1K. Both have their pros which make/made me enjoy them.

Mar 3, 2016 at 11:14 PM Post #653 of 1,091
125-150 hours

I love the mid/high frequencies of the PS1Ke compared to the PS1K…but the thing I miss about the PS1K which I'm waiting for the (e) to achieve is the richness in vocals which were superb! I've never heard better vocal texture/soul than I've heard with the PS1K. I'm sure much has to do with the mid-bass hump of the PS1K. Both have their pros which make/made me enjoy them.
it was definitely great owning both for an extended period of time but towards the end (besides not using them enough) I started getting annoyed at the lack of bass impact of both the ps1ke and gs1ke. They have bass, but I couldn't feel it. Like a soft impact as far as I remember. My Gs1ke was the same and that thing had like 2.5 million hours of burn in on it! Lol
it was never gonna change to where I wanted it to be in the bass department, unfortunately.

Mar 3, 2016 at 11:28 PM Post #654 of 1,091
it was definitely great owning both for an extended period of time but towards the end (besides not using them enough) I started getting annoyed at the lack of bass impact of both the ps1ke and gs1ke. They have bass, but I couldn't feel it. Like a soft impact as far as I remember. My Gs1ke was the same and that thing had like 2.5 million hours of burn in on it! Lol
it was never gonna change to where I wanted it to be in the bass department, unfortunately.

This is unfortunate because I'm hoping with sufficient burn-in the PS1Ke will have better bass/mid-bass which would add to the  richness/texture/soul of the vocals. Either way, I enjoy the vocals with the (e) but find the PS1K to do them better for me and I have no regrets about my purchase, but do agree with you. With my PS1K I found the mid-bass to drown out a lot of the detail and percussion instruments weren't as detailed/sharp which is why I went with the (e).

Mar 4, 2016 at 12:10 AM Post #655 of 1,091
I find the vocals of the ps1000e less recessed than the ps1000 and thus better in proportion to the bass and treble. Did some A/B inch last weekend and while they were very similar sounding, I just couldn't go back.

Mar 4, 2016 at 12:17 AM Post #656 of 1,091
I find the vocals of the ps1000e less recessed than the ps1000 and thus better in proportion to the bass and treble. Did some A/B inch last weekend and while they were very similar sounding, I just couldn't go back.

Now thats funny because in my case I find the opposite, but do find the bass/treble to be more proportioned where as the bas/mid- bass would drowned out the mids/treble…depending on the recording.

Mar 4, 2016 at 1:38 AM Post #657 of 1,091

i'm with you on this one.

Like I said earlier, I hadn't used my ps1k in a some time and when I finally did like 2 weeks ago, it took a bit to get used to again. The treble is just very upfront compared to just about anything else out there. Once my ears adjusted (after a few tracks), it was toe tappin' and head bobbin' time. Very lively and enjoyable cans IMO.  I knew then why I've kept them vs the other Grados.

Mar 4, 2016 at 2:17 AM Post #658 of 1,091

I love the sound but I can't get over the weight. Shifting my head from side to side only slightly reminds me what's on my head. I'm constantly reminded that I'm wearing headphones. I feel the same way about all models of Audeze's, and have said that in a couple Audeze threads. One of the things I love about the GH1's, especially with the G-cush is that it (almost) totally removes you from the experience of wearing headphones. Of course you can feel them but the feeling isn't intrusive or obnoxious to the point where you want to take them off. I can wear these for an hour or more without feeling bothered at all. That just isn't the case with most headphones, including the aforementioned PS1k, Audeze etc. 

Mar 4, 2016 at 6:17 AM Post #659 of 1,091

How do other Grado-heads scratch their bass itch? Is there a bassy Grado?  Maybe the PS500 or 500e?  I have the PS500 and while the most bass-rich, I don't think it is really bassy.

Or do folks do as I did... get either another open headphone (for me, HiFiMAN HE-1000) or a great closed headphone (mine is the Ultrasone Edition 8) for their bass fix?

Or is there a particularly bassy amp/Grado combination that works?

Mar 4, 2016 at 6:38 AM Post #660 of 1,091

How do other Grado-heads scratch their bass itch? Is there a bassy Grado?  Maybe the PS500 or 500e?  I have the PS500 and while the most bass-rich, I don't think it is really bassy.

Or do folks do as I did... get either another open headphone (for me, HiFiMAN HE-1000) or a great closed headphone (mine is the Ultrasone Edition 8) for their bass fix?

Or is there a particularly bassy amp/Grado combination that works?

The JH Audio Layla plays that roll for me, before it, it was the tralucent Audio 1+2

Users who are viewing this thread

Back