Grado e Series
Jan 7, 2016 at 8:13 PM Post #5,926 of 6,729
I still don't understand the rationale for manufacturing such a great headphone with crap pad material. It's like having a Ferrari with polyester upholstery.

I am afraid of washing them because then I wouldn't be able to return them if the feel is still not right. I'll give it a few more days and see if my ears develop the necessary calluses lol.

Jan 7, 2016 at 8:16 PM Post #5,927 of 6,729
I guess the g pads would be better because they wouldn't touch the ear but I hear the bass is lessened. Sucks because I finally experienced the Grado sound and am very impressed. A softer pad would be perfect. I don't get that jaw soreness either like I do with a lot of over the ear headphoness

With the G-cush you not only get lees bass, you get more treble presence, and a bigger soundstage.

You're very mature for your age!
tongue.gif

Jan 7, 2016 at 8:17 PM Post #5,928 of 6,729
I still don't understand the rationale for manufacturing such a great headphone with crap pad material. It's like having a Ferrari with polyester upholstery.

I am afraid of washing them because then I wouldn't be able to return them if the feel is still not right. I'll give it a few more days and see if my ears develop the necessary calluses lol.

The pads will soften up via the natural oil from our ears. Initially, the pads are rough on the edges. But after three days, they soften up, now I feel they are a bit squishy lol

Jan 7, 2016 at 8:24 PM Post #5,930 of 6,729
Also, they might irritate you less if you reduce the clamping force by gently bending the headband a bit. I did this with my 225e and now these headphones are insanely comfortable. So comfortable I am now slightly bothered by the clamping force on my HE-400S, which is in and of itself a deliciously comfortable headphone.

And yes, the oils from your ears will soften the pads in a few days.

Jan 7, 2016 at 8:25 PM Post #5,931 of 6,729

What you need to understand is that Grado is a small familly owned buisness, and they build their headphones by hand.
wink.gif

According to some people, the phrase above, pretty much gives Grado the ultimate excuse.
rolleyes.gif

I don't agree.

Jan 7, 2016 at 8:36 PM Post #5,932 of 6,729
I understand the family business thing but they can probably get softer foam fabric from China for like pennies.

The clamp force was perfect right out of the box but it might help to ease it a bit.

Thanks for all your input. Hopefully I'll be able stay in the Grado fan club!

Jan 7, 2016 at 8:46 PM Post #5,934 of 6,729
I had the 400s for a short time and liked them a lot although the clamping was a bit much. Good to know the Grados are comparable in terms of comfort for you.

I really like other aspects of the Grado design though so that's encouraging. The fabric feel is just the last piece of the puzzle to make it close to a perfect headphone for me.

Jan 7, 2016 at 8:54 PM Post #5,936 of 6,729
I have to say, that everyone complaining about the clamping force/irritating cushions are just not adjusting/wearing Grados the correct way…at all. I've posted so many times how to find complete comfort, that I can't bring myself to post it again. Though, I will say again that I wear my Grados for 3-5 hrs almost every night with no issues at all after correctly adjusting the clamping force (which should be minimum force being their foam and aren't made to seal anyway) and the hight as well. Stop being afraid to adjust the headband, just do it a little at a time. I've also never had to wash my cushions to soften them up either. 
smile.gif

Jan 7, 2016 at 9:41 PM Post #5,940 of 6,729
I'll keep working at it. Just got them today
Is the G series the only one with the over the ear design?

Congratulations and enjoy!
I'm sure once you adjust/wear them correctly you will have no comfort issues.
Only the GS/PS1K come with the (G) cushions.

I'm also using mine for about 3-5 hours per day, although that's not always without interruption.

And how are you making out with the comfort so far?
I believe it was you that I replied to about how to adjust the headband, correct?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back