Grado e Series
Dec 14, 2015 at 1:17 AM Post #5,746 of 6,729
I'm pretty conflicted right now. Genuinely like these 60e's better than my Alessandro MS2e and SR325is. They just sound fuller, bit more bass, not as bright as either of those. 

I've never listened to a 325-series 'phone, but I've always heard that they've got a distinctive, bright sound that not everybody (not even all Grado fans) likes. Given that both the 325is's and MS2e's have the 325-style metal cup, maybe that's your problem. You might want to look into downgrading to a 225e or upgrading to something like an RS2 or GH1 (depending on your budget).

Dec 14, 2015 at 1:23 AM Post #5,747 of 6,729
I've never listened to a 325-series 'phone, but I've always heard that they've got a distinctive, bright sound that not everybody (not even all Grado fans) likes. Given that both the 325is's and MS2e's have the 325-style metal cup, maybe that's your problem. You might want to look into downgrading to a 225e or upgrading to something like an RS2 or GH1 (depending on your budget).

I really like 325is, don't get me wrong. I never found them too bright, but it's more noticeable putting them beside the e which has a smoother sound. 325 are great for metal but I find the 60e just as good. (both with bowl pads).

Thinking of picking up the SR80e's next time they're on massdrop too, are they different/better enough than the 60e's?

Dec 14, 2015 at 8:03 AM Post #5,748 of 6,729
I really like 325is, don't get me wrong. I never found them too bright, but it's more noticeable putting them beside the e which has a smoother sound. 325 are great for metal but I find the 60e just as good. (both with bowl pads).

Thinking of picking up the SR80e's next time they're on massdrop too, are they different/better enough than the 60e's?

I have the MS2i's and they are quite noticeably different than the 325i's (in m opinion). The highs are rounded off and the bass has more impact on the MS2i's.

Dec 14, 2015 at 9:10 AM Post #5,749 of 6,729
  I'm pretty conflicted right now. Genuinely like these 60e's better than my Alessandro MS2e and SR325is. They just sound fuller, bit more bass, not as bright as either of those. 

Although I've never heard the 60e I'm quite surprised the MS2e doesn't have a much fuller sound with more bass and is brighter sounding. 

I have the MS2i's and they are quite noticeably different than the 325i's (in m opinion). The highs are rounded off and the bass has more impact on the MS2i's.

Welcome back.
I would definitely agree 100% with you on this.

Dec 14, 2015 at 6:26 PM Post #5,750 of 6,729

I'm not familiar with the MS2, but I do know that people usually love, or hate, the SR325is, so your opinion about them dosen't surprise me.

Dec 14, 2015 at 6:32 PM Post #5,751 of 6,729

I'm not familiar with the MS2, but I do know that people usually love, or hate, the SR325is, so your opinion about them dosen't surprise me.

I do love them, they're my favourite grado I've owned and I've owned everything up to and including the RS1i (and all alessandro's), definitely like them more than the MS2e. I think the e series improved the lower models as I don't remember liking the 60i this much.

Sometimes it takes going back to the start to realise the difference isn't that big :D

Dec 15, 2015 at 10:27 PM Post #5,752 of 6,729
I do love them, they're my favourite grado I've owned and I've owned everything up to and including the RS1i (and all alessandro's), definitely like them more than the MS2e. I think the e series improved the lower models as I don't remember liking the 60i this much.

Sometimes it takes going back to the start to realise the difference isn't that big :D

I guess the law of diminishing returns is applicable (in a way) in this scenario :p

Dec 19, 2015 at 4:12 PM Post #5,753 of 6,729

After reading both yours, and edstrelow's posts, regarding sound damping material, and the effect that it can have on the sound singnature of a given pair of headphones, I figured that given my level of expertise on this matter, I just have to stay out of this, because I have none.

Seriously though!, can this be a DIY thing?, I mean, wouldn't someone be able to achieve a satisfactory level of vibration control by  using a few bits of stratigically positioned Dyna-Mat?

I suppose that it's possible to have too much damping, and end up with dull, lifeless sound, so don't get crazy with that stuff. 

Don't misinterpret the type of damping I and others have been doing using sorbothane. We are only damping the earcups and attached parts. There should be no sound contributed from these parts any more than a speaker box should be contributing to sound by its vibrations. Basically what you want is pure sound from the drivers, uncontaminated by extraneous vibrations. Grado has also discovered this issue and are attempting to solve it using their own proprietary polycarbonate.  You could probably also dampen earcup vibrations using other materials, such as dynamat or just significantly increasing the mass of the earcups.  However sorbothane is specifically designed for this role and supposedly converts energy to heat. At this point no-one really knows much about the relative merits of different techniques. Sennheiser also  appears to be working on this issue.

Dec 19, 2015 at 4:50 PM Post #5,754 of 6,729
  Don't misinterpret the type of damping I and others have been doing using sorbothane. We are only damping the earcups and attached parts. There should be no sound contributed from these parts any more than a speaker box should be contributing to sound by its vibrations. Basically what you want is pure sound from the drivers, uncontaminated by extraneous vibrations. Grado has also discovered this issue and are attempting to solve it using their own proprietary polycarbonate.  You could probably also dampen earcup vibrations using other materials, such as dynamat or just significantly increasing the mass of the earcups.  However sorbothane is specifically designed for this role and supposedly converts energy to heat. At this point no-one really knows much about the relative merits of different techniques. Sennheiser also  appears to be working on this issue.

Personally, I'm not big on ''mods'', so far, all that I've done is swap earpads. I would be willing to try something else though, but it would have to be totally reversible.

Dec 19, 2015 at 5:22 PM Post #5,755 of 6,729

Personally, I'm not big on ''mods'', so far, all that I've done is swap earpads. I would be willing to try something else though, but it would have to be totally reversible.

It is easily reversible. You just pull off the sorb if you don't like it after you try it. A sheet of 1/8 in self-stick sorb big enough to do about 8 headphones can be bought on Ebay for about $15.00

Dec 19, 2015 at 6:58 PM Post #5,757 of 6,729
Don't understand modding other than alternative pads from the same manufacturer used on other derivatives of the same headphone. If the headphones can be improved I'd trust the manufacturer with years of experience to do it. Grados are apparently tuned by ear better ears than mine no doubt. Likewise EQ.

Just me I suppose.

Dec 20, 2015 at 1:25 AM Post #5,758 of 6,729
Don't understand modding other than alternative pads from the same manufacturer used on other derivatives of the same headphone. If the headphones can be improved I'd trust the manufacturer with years of experience to do it. Grados are apparently tuned by ear better ears than mine no doubt. Likewise EQ.

Just me I suppose.

I'd agree on many cases, but sometimes there's a good reason the manufacturer didn't incorporate a given mod. For instance, higher end Grados have a blob of dampening gunk in the back of the driver whereas lower end ones don't. Turns out, putting some dampener there can really improve the sound of lower end Grados.

Dec 20, 2015 at 2:33 PM Post #5,759 of 6,729
I listened to the GS-1000 back when it first came out 2005?... somewhere around there. Anyway, I didn't like it at all, and stuck with my hd600. Recently I have been looking for HD600 alternatives (I have the HD800) but was looking for something a little less expensive and a little more portable.  Tried the Q701, loved them... then I tried the DT880, loved them too. I figured I was set, I'd keep the Q701 and the DT880 as alternatives to the HD600. Then I saw the SR325e, yeah just a few days ago... I've been off the forums for years. $300... that is a little steep, considering I got the Q701 AND the DT880 off Amazon for a little over $300 total. I really like the look of the Grados though, so I checked out the FR graphs... I always check the graphs, they usually dictate whether I will like a phone or not. Philips X2 was a perfect example, didn't like the graph, tried them anyway, hate them. Back to the Grados though. Ordered through Crutchfield, cause why pay tax on Amazon when they have the same 60 day return policy. They came today!!! Yeah Sunday!!!! UPS... weird. I plug them in and frankly, I AM BLOWN AWAY!!! Out friggin standing. Haven't heard anything that made me this happy since the HD800. $300 is a steal. They absolutely are a cut above the Beyerdynamic DT880 and the AKG Q701... and the HD600 (hate to say it, but it is true) The HD800 is a different beast, so I'm no going to compare the two.

I will skip the usual banter about how they sound. We know all the words audiophiles use to describe these things... open, bright, clear, muddy, smooth, etc... we have all heard the words before, they are in almost every review. I'll say just one thing. The Grado SR325e makes the music sound REAL... the other headphones (save for the HD800) reproduce the music quite accurately but there is something missing, it just doesn't sound as authentic as it does on the Grados. I don't know what it is, or how to describe it, but real is the only word I can use here. It is like the Q701 HD600 and the DT880 are trying to hard to do things right, but the Grados seem to just effortlessly project what is supposed to be heard. Not sure if I just got an outstanding pair, or if this is the norm. I'm honestly thinking about getting another set to put away, god forbid they change things.

Anyway, just thought I would chime in here, because they really are that great.

PS.... Bought the HD600 in 1998 or 1999, it's been a long and enjoyable affair....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back