Grado e Series
Dec 8, 2015 at 2:32 AM Post #5,717 of 6,729
Yeah, of course, I'll try in stock form first! But even if I like that, I'll still cut em up next in the hopes that I'll like my custom set up better. And like I said, I don't want to change the sound much at all. I love the way the RS2e's sound with stock L cush.

As for PS500, I've thought of them, but going by what others have said and FR graphs, I highly doubt that they're for me. I dislike dark cans and love the classic Grado house sound.

As for RS1e, not a chance. They seem like an absolute disaster. RS1's or RS1i's maybe, but not the e's. Plus, I much prefer the look of the RS2's (see my Avatar--she's wearing RS2's!) and $495 is already more than enough to spend on headphones.

But thanks for the suggestions! I am curious about the PS500e's, I will admit. Love to audition them some day.

Dec 8, 2015 at 11:59 AM Post #5,718 of 6,729
A question for the Grado experienced:

Do you feel like the jump from say, the SR-225e, to either the RS1e, PS500e, or GH-1, is noticeable enough for the price?  For persepctive, I feel like the jump from HD-650 to HD800 is more than justified.  

I've previously owned an SR-225i, and technically owned it for longer than any other headphone, despite moving through different flagships to the HD800.  I'm considering on the aforementioned Grados to compliment my HD800 since I really enjoyed the SR-225i as a "fun" headphone, though I wouldn't mind a touch more bass and resolution from that.

Not to mention, as a headphone I can go portable, and listen in other parts of the house besides my bulky main desktop setup.

Dec 8, 2015 at 12:19 PM Post #5,719 of 6,729
A question for the Grado experienced:

Do you feel like the jump from say, the SR-225e, to either the RS1e, PS500e, or GH-1, is noticeable enough for the price?  For persepctive, I feel like the jump from HD-650 to HD800 is more than justified.  

I've previously owned an SR-225i, and technically owned it for longer than any other headphone, despite moving through different flagships to the HD800.  I'm considering on the aforementioned Grados to compliment my HD800 since I really enjoyed the SR-225i as a "fun" headphone, though I wouldn't mind a touch more bass and resolution from that.

Not to mention, as a headphone I can go portable, and listen in other parts of the house besides my bulky main desktop setup.

I had the SR225 for many years and absolutely loved them and enjoyed them, although I did feel they weren't neutral headphones, to be sure! Then one day I noticed that there was a rattle that came out at lower frequencies and I had them sent back to be fixed.

After that they just weren't the same and I ended up getting Senn HD595's, Ety ER-4S's, and Sony MDR-7506's, and sold the 225's a few weeks later.

But I missed that Grado sound and auditioned a 225e at the local dealer and liked them but did find one of the treble peaks bothersome with some material. Plus, honsetly, I'd always liked the looks of the RS2's and I read good things about them in this thread, so I pulled the trigger on a pair.

And, oh my god! They were absolutely incredible! No bothersome treble peaks even on the same songs that the 225e's had hit, and better base and WAY more clarity and transient detail. They are amazing. Worth way more than double the 225's to my ears.

If your ears are anything like mine--and I suspect they are--you will be thrilled with the 2e's and will find them to be a natural progression from the 225's sound wise, only much much better.

As for the RS1e's by all reports they are markedly different than the previous generations, and most say that they are worse. Certainly they aren't in line with the 225 sound according to people here. Although, to be fair, I haven't ever heard then myself, so I don't really know.

Dec 8, 2015 at 12:53 PM Post #5,720 of 6,729
I wish you the best of luck with the RS2e if you do buy some more. Thank you for such a clear comparison between the RS2e and 225e. With me being a 225e owner I am really keen to read that.

I always felt the 225e needed just a touch of EQ in the lower frequencies. I can only do it on equipemtn that has the ability to add the frequencies I want. My portable radio has an EQ that makes them sound good. I use Sony's Media Go for my computer music player and it has an equaliser. I simply add back in the low frequency stuff that rolls off on the 225e. Media Go is freely available on the Sony website, and I stumbled on it because I was digging around and asking questions. Basically because I was looking for free software that would rip to FLAC.

It would be nice to have headphones where I didn't need to EQ bass back in. Mainly because when at desktop I switch between my headphones and some audio kit. I often forget to take off the EQ that I put on for the headphones. Leaving my music bass heavy. Then vice-versa I forget to add EQ for the headphones.

Dec 8, 2015 at 1:30 PM Post #5,721 of 6,729
If your ears are anything like mine--and I suspect they are--you will be thrilled with the 2e's and will find them to be a natural progression from the 225's sound wise, only much much better.

As for the RS1e's by all reports they are markedly different than the previous generations, and most say that they are worse. Certainly they aren't in line with the 225 sound according to people here. Although, to be fair, I haven't ever heard then myself, so I don't really know.

Thanks for the feedback.  The RS2 is in an odd position of being $100 under the PS500.  But it may be more of that natural step up from the 225.  I do like the wood look better, like yourself, though.  Admittedly, my curiosity regarding the RS1e is mostly with the larger 50mm driver, though impressions seem to be more mixed.  

The GH-1 also seems to be getting a lot of positive impressions, even though it's limited, and I love the maple look.  Now they just need to bring back the PS-1 as an E version with 50mm driver at around $850 or $900.  But that would probably cut into the PS1K sales, hence why they haven't probably.

Dec 8, 2015 at 5:15 PM Post #5,722 of 6,729

Thanks for the feedback.  The RS2 is in an odd position of being $100 under the PS500.  But it may be more of that natural step up from the 225.  I do like the wood look better, like yourself, though.  Admittedly, my curiosity regarding the RS1e is mostly with the larger 50mm driver, though impressions seem to be more mixed.  

The GH-1 also seems to be getting a lot of positive impressions, even though it's limited, and I love the maple look.  Now they just need to bring back the PS-1 as an E version with 50mm driver at around $850 or $900.  But that would probably cut into the PS1K sales, hence why they haven't probably.

I was one of the GH-1 toughest critics, when they first came out. Now, after a few months of owningh the GH-1/G, I can say that represent one of Grado's best price vs performance ratio.

From what what I have read, the PS-1 was a a special edition model for the German market. They were known for having a lot of bass.

I haven't heard the RS1e, but the comments that I've read, all seem to say that they lack that lively treble that Grados are known for.

In my opinion, all else being equal, a larger driver, will have more bass, and less treble, than a smaller one. This would explain why the new RS1e sound the way they do. The GS/PS1000e are less affected by this, because they use the G-cush, wich are known for having less bass, and more treble.

Dec 9, 2015 at 11:50 PM Post #5,723 of 6,729
SR-80e here (driven by little Dot MK V amp and little Dot DAC_1)

Got them about 12 months ago. One pivot post broke on the left driver, cheap plastic.

I like the sound, but the build quality is junk, frankly. Also, hair constantly get's beyond the foam and causes the bass to crackle. It's quite annoying.

Dec 10, 2015 at 8:00 AM Post #5,725 of 6,729
  These 60e's are great, preferring them to my 325is What

Hahaha!
dt880smile.png

Dec 10, 2015 at 9:22 AM Post #5,727 of 6,729
  SR-80e here (driven by little Dot MK V amp and little Dot DAC_1)

Got them about 12 months ago. One pivot post broke on the left driver, cheap plastic.

I like the sound, but the build quality is junk, frankly. Also, hair constantly get's beyond the foam and causes the bass to crackle. It's quite annoying.

If you don't like the standard Grado headband assembly a very inexpensive replacement option are the Vivitar DJ Mixers,when i got mine i just cut the wires on the vivitar cups/drivers and tossed em (they're junk anyway) and popped in the Grado cups.also to get rid of grattle (the rattling you get when hair gets caught in the driver housing or the diaphragm becomes misshapen from being over driven),just remove the earpad from whichever side is rattling (or both if they both are), then place your mouth over the inside of the cup (over the mesh covering the driver) and gently suck until you hear a slight click or popping sound which is the diaphragm popping back into its proper shape.have had to to this a couple times on all of my Grado's from my SR60i and SR80i to my PS500e.usually it happens after playing bass heavy music too loud,but not always, anyway that will fix that issue straight away.a more in depth walk through on dealing with grattle can be read here.

Dec 10, 2015 at 4:09 PM Post #5,728 of 6,729
  If you don't like the standard Grado headband assembly a very inexpensive replacement option are the Vivitar DJ Mixers,when i got mine i just cut the wires on the vivitar cups/drivers and tossed em (they're junk anyway) and popped in the Grado cups.also to get rid of grattle (the rattling you get when hair gets caught in the driver housing or the diaphragm becomes misshapen from being over driven),just remove the earpad from whichever side is rattling (or both if they both are), then place your mouth over the inside of the cup (over the mesh covering the driver) and gently suck until you hear a slight click or popping sound which is the diaphragm popping back into its proper shape.have had to to this a couple times on all of my Grado's from my SR60i and SR80i to my PS500e.usually it happens after playing bass heavy music too loud,but not always, anyway that will fix that issue straight away.a more in depth walk through on dealing with grattle can be read here.

Thanks for the advice. I don't think the diaphragm gets misshapen once the hair is removed. When I take the cushion off, I can see one or two hair sticking through it, so I just pull them out. It's the act of putting them on and I think my sideburns and hair above my ears get easily trapped in the foam.

Has anyone switched the L-cushion or G-cushion just to prevent hair from getting stuck and causing bass distortion?

Dec 10, 2015 at 5:04 PM Post #5,729 of 6,729
  Hi, everyone! Noob here. Is it a good idea to go for the Sr60e directly over the Sr60i? I read somewhere that the wires on the sr60e aren't as good as the earlier model. 

I don't know where you've read this, but I think that it's nonsense. As I've said before, I'm one of Grado's thoughest critics, and if there's one thing that Grado doen't skimp on, it's their cables. Some people would like to have connectors at the earcups, but I prefer the electrical integrity of soldered connections.

I have both the SR80i and e, and from what I can see, their cables are identical.

In my opinion,  the SR serie's e version, is an upgrade over the i version. The SR80e's bass is a bit deeper, and the treble is more polite than that of the SR801. If you can aford the SR80e, I'm pretty sure you'd like them. I' have swapped the stock S-cush, for some L-cush, wich took my SR80e to the next level. 

Dec 10, 2015 at 9:59 PM Post #5,730 of 6,729
Thanks for the info. Unfortunately I can only afford the sr60e at the moment, won't save more money for the sr80e cause I can't wait any longer (it would probably take me until next year to have the cash for it). My goal anyway is to upgrade from the sr60e to athm50 or brainwavz hdm5 later on.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back