Grado e Series
Feb 22, 2015 at 1:30 PM Post #3,781 of 6,729
I don't have the "e" series, but FWIW, I have always gone back and forth.  There are times I prefer my RS1 and HF1 through tubes, and there are other times I prefer them with my cleaner / drier sounding solid state rig.  The latter I think lets the cans "breathe" easier.  There's less harmonic distortion from the amp getting in the way of the harmonic distortion and resonant characteristics of the phones.

The cleanest solid state rig I ever plugged my RS1 into was a Lavry D11 + Headamp GS-1.  It was at a meet and the setups owner had a bunch of high end A-Technica cans on display.  So it was set up to drive low-Z loads.  My RS1 sounded incredible.

Not sure about the "e" series, but I would not be surprised if it was the same way. 

Feb 22, 2015 at 1:46 PM Post #3,782 of 6,729
  I don't have the "e" series, but FWIW, I have always gone back and forth.  There are times I prefer my RS1 and HF1 through tubes, and there are other times I prefer them with my cleaner / drier sounding solid state rig.  The latter I think lets the cans "breathe" easier.  There's less harmonic distortion from the amp getting in the way of the harmonic distortion and resonant characteristics of the phones.

The cleanest solid state rig I ever plugged my RS1 into was a Lavry D11 + Headamp GS-1.  It was at a meet and the setups owner had a bunch of high end A-Technica cans on display.  So it was set up to drive low-Z loads.  My RS1 sounded incredible.

Not sure about the "e" series, but I would not be surprised if it was the same way. 

Interesting...thanks for that. 

Feb 22, 2015 at 2:20 PM Post #3,784 of 6,729
   I think I remember Macedonian Hero saying his PS1ke really came alive when he drove them with his home rig, which I'm pretty sure is solid state....but anyone else? 

Right from the start, I always felt the PS1K's would benefit from a SS amp…and IME/IMO, they definitely do.
With my PS1K's I definitely prefer a SS amp, in my case first the Soloist (sold) now the GS-1. I didn't really like the WA6-SE when I had it with the PS1K's…same goes for my WA6. Don't get me wrong, they sound good, but I feel they sound much more livelier with a SS amp. But when it comes to my RS1i's I do prefer the WA6.

Quote:

I don't have the "e" series, but FWIW, I have always gone back and forth.  There are times I prefer my RS1 and HF1 through tubes.
The cleanest solid state rig I ever plugged my RS1 into was a Lavry D11 + Headamp GS-1.    My RS1 sounded incredible.

I don't have any (e) series Grado's either, but I do prefer my RS1i with the WA6…but yes, the RS1i's do sound incredible through the GS-1 also.

Feb 24, 2015 at 1:06 PM Post #3,786 of 6,729
Anyone have the new MS1-e? I have and love the PS500, but always wanted to try and Alessandro and a new e-series Grado. Worth spending the $110?

I do have ms1e. IMO..if u like your ps500..u should try ms2e. Both, ps500/ms2e, have a slightly warmer tone and smooth..Personally..i prefer ms2e than ps500e. I have them all.

In case u wondering...ms1e's midrange is significantly thinner compare to both and somewhat more laidback too. Sound performance is a bit similar to 225e..but 225e's overall sound is more bodied also the Mids is thicker. Imaging also better on 225e.

My personal preference would be:
Ms2e > ps500/ps500e > 225e > ms1e
(Note: ps500/ps500e,imo, still superior in technical performance to ms2e but for overall listening experience, i prefer ms2e)

Cheers.

Feb 24, 2015 at 7:12 PM Post #3,788 of 6,729
In case u wondering...ms1e's midrange is significantly thinner compare to both and somewhat more laidback too. Sound performance is a bit similar to 225e..but 225e's overall sound is more bodied also the Mids is thicker. Imaging also better on 225e.

From memory MS1i's midrange was a bit forward, it sound's like a plastic version of the RS1i. It seems that the sound of e series Grados has changed a lot.

Feb 24, 2015 at 11:36 PM Post #3,789 of 6,729
Does anyone else have impressions of the RS2e, especially compared to the RS1i?  I just sold my RS1e today (I had to settle for an absurdly low price because no one was buying) and apparently haven't learned my lesson about blowing exorbitant amounts of money on headphones yet. 
confused_face.gif

The RS1i really is great when it comes to emotion and fun, but it's soundstaging is pretty flat and the separation isn't great compared to the e models I've heard.  I'm hoping the RS2e would improve in that regard without downgrading anything. 

Feb 25, 2015 at 12:04 AM Post #3,790 of 6,729
  The RS1i really is great when it comes to emotion and fun, but it's soundstaging is pretty flat and the separation isn't great compared to the e models I've heard.  I'm hoping the RS2e would improve in that regard without downgrading anything. 

I don't find the RS-1i to have a flat sound-stage in any way/shape/form. I use a tube amp with my RS-1i's and the sound-stage/separation and air between the instruments IME/IMO are absoloutely beautiful!
Just curious as to what source/DAC/amp you were you using with the RS-1i which makes you say this about them? 
As far as the RS-2e goes…the consensus is that it is much closer to the sound of the RS-1i and much preferred over the RS-1e.

Feb 25, 2015 at 12:37 AM Post #3,791 of 6,729
  I don't find the RS-1i to have a flat sound-stage in any way/shape/form. I use a tube amp with my RS-1i's and the sound-stage/separation and air between the instruments IME/IMO are absoloutely beautiful!
Just curious as to what source/DAC/amp you were you using with the RS-1i which makes you say this about them? 
As far as the RS-2e goes…the consensus is that it is much closer to the sound of the RS-1i and much preferred over the RS-1e.

x2...  It (the RS1 and RS1i) needs the right source and an amp capable of "relaxing" sounds out a bit.  The right earpad foams can make a huge difference too.

Feb 25, 2015 at 3:10 AM Post #3,792 of 6,729

The rs1i has quite excellent lateral width in soundstage compared to other grados with standard L-cush.
Combine this with a slightly deeper foam L-cush (inverse them) and you should have an excellent soundstage for headphones. You can also go with Hd414 inverse quarter mod and tweak it to get it right. If you want more soundstage, I would then recommend the G-cush but you will lose a fair bit of frequency bandwidth as the depth is overkill.

Tweaking is one of the joys of this hobby if you can call it that.
deadhorse.gif

Feb 25, 2015 at 11:16 AM Post #3,793 of 6,729
  Does anyone else have impressions of the RS2e, especially compared to the RS1i?  I just sold my RS1e today (I had to settle for an absurdly low price because no one was buying) and apparently haven't learned my lesson about blowing exorbitant amounts of money on headphones yet. 
confused_face.gif

If you haven't already...give the PS 500e a try. I know you wanted the best of both the RS1e and RS1i. 

Feb 25, 2015 at 11:19 AM Post #3,794 of 6,729
If you haven't already...give the PS 500e a try. I know you wanted the best of both the RS1e and RS1i. 

X2, love my 500e!!!

Feb 25, 2015 at 11:27 AM Post #3,795 of 6,729
I'm selling my PS500e. Maybe I'll get a pair of RS2e in the near future. http://www.head-fi.org/t/756475/grado-ps500e-as-new
I put on the headphones last night (haven't use them for over 2 weeks and they're only a month old ;o). I still feel that the balance of the sound is a bit south of neutral for me so I still decided to sell it.
redface.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back