Grado e Series
Nov 20, 2014 at 9:55 AM Post #2,492 of 6,729
Which had better Bass oomph? 
basshead.gif

Nov 20, 2014 at 1:27 PM Post #2,493 of 6,729
  Waste of money may have sounded a little harsh, but it was a waste in the sense that I won't be able to make up the purchase price if I resell them and keep my RS1i at this point. 

I've posted my thoughts a few times over the past few months... basically the RS1e has an awkward frequency balance that makes them unlistenable for me.  The treble is too rolled off, making the music sound congested and dull while eliminating transient details.  Strings almost sound like they've had some sort of FM-radio filter applied to them.  It's a very different balance than the RS1i, surprisingly so. 

I can never stop fiddling with them and just enjoy the music.  I've tried a few mods and other adjustments to fix the sound, but the treble is extremely flat no matter what.  I never had that problem with the RS1i; I just listened and had a good time.  Even though I thought they left room for improvement, I never wanted to alter their sound in any way. 

There are some advantages to the e model, like the fuller midrange and smoother sound, but I can't get over the treble enough to enjoy them. 

I should say that I'm using a pair of red-driver RS1i's, not a full RS1e.  I don't know if there are differences between the versions that could explain the awkward sound... maybe the RS1e actually did receive some more tweaks by the time it went into full production.  I'd love to give the RS1e a second chance by trying another model, but unfortunately the $700 price makes that hard to do. 

How you decribe the RS1e is exactly how I would have described the RS1i I bought earlier this year... before breakin, that is.  I went to the RS1i from a set of 225i's, and it was very dissapointing at first.  I would describe the initial sound of the RS1 as 'nasal, rolled-off, and closed in'.  Break in changed all of this.  I noted continual improvements for at least the first 300 hours of use.  

It may be that the RS1e just requires a chance to break in.  

Nov 20, 2014 at 2:58 PM Post #2,494 of 6,729

How you decribe the RS1e is exactly how I would have described the RS1i I bought earlier this year... before breakin, that is.  I went to the RS1i from a set of 225i's, and it was very dissapointing at first.  I would describe the initial sound of the RS1 as 'nasal, rolled-off, and closed in'.  Break in changed all of this.  I noted continual improvements for at least the first 300 hours of use.  

It may be that the RS1e just requires a chance to break in.  

Well said!

Nov 20, 2014 at 3:16 PM Post #2,496 of 6,729
The RS1i has an emphasized mid bass and treble response, more "V" shaped response for a fun. 
On the other hand the RS1e is more natural with smoother treble, more reference sounding response, IMO.

Nov 20, 2014 at 4:05 PM Post #2,497 of 6,729
I liked the RS1i's bass more than the RS2e. 

In compare to the RS1e, the RS1e has deeper bass but the RS1i has more mid bass.

Then I clearly do not need to upgrade. Thank You PS500 :p

Nov 20, 2014 at 4:40 PM Post #2,498 of 6,729
I finally found a store within driving distance that has the whole Grado line-up in stock.  I plan a listening session this weekend - then I can make a decision for myself.  Thank you guys so much for your help.

I wish we could all get together and discuss this over a beer!

Nov 20, 2014 at 4:51 PM Post #2,499 of 6,729
  I finally found a store within driving distance that has the whole Grado line-up in stock.  I plan a listening session this weekend - then I can make a decision for myself.  Thank you guys so much for your help.

I wish we could all get together and discuss this over a beer!

Do let us know where you land. I have an early RS2e, but nothing to compare them to. Let us know of your impressions!

Cheers.

Nov 21, 2014 at 1:38 PM Post #2,500 of 6,729
Bought a Grado 325e. Been listening to it for about a week (~10 hrs of play time so far) and I think its bloody brilliant!

My rig looks like this:
MacBook Pro (Toslink) -> Cambridge DACMagic -> Little Dot i+ (Upgraded to TI/BB OPA2107AP and Voshkod 6ZH1P-EV)

My impressions so far:
- I wouldn't call 325e bright at all. The highs are clear, airy and detailed.
- Good mids (as expected of a Grado).
- Bass: This is a real surprise, did not know Grado's could produce bass this good 
L3000.gif
. It goes deep, is fast and has good impact.

I got this as an upgrade to SR80i (that I screwed up, don't ask how!). Very happy with my purchase.

BTW I tried 325e with EarZonk G-cush I had lying around. The bass lost some of its impact, the soundstage improved though. Currently sticking to the stock L-cush.

Nov 21, 2014 at 4:48 PM Post #2,501 of 6,729
  Bought a Grado 325e. Been listening to it for about a week (~10 hrs of play time so far) and I think its bloody brilliant!

My rig looks like this:
MacBook Pro (Toslink) -> Cambridge DACMagic -> Little Dot i+ (Upgraded to TI/BB OPA2107AP and Voshkod 6ZH1P-EV)

My impressions so far:
- I wouldn't call 325e bright at all. The highs are clear, airy and detailed.
- Good mids (as expected of a Grado).
- Bass: This is a real surprise, did not know Grado's could produce bass this good 
L3000.gif
. It goes deep, is fast and has good impact.

I got this as an upgrade to SR80i (that I screwed up, don't ask how!). Very happy with my purchase.

BTW I tried 325e with EarZonk G-cush I had lying around. The bass lost some of its impact, the soundstage improved though. Currently sticking to the stock L-cush.

Interesting, I've more bass impact on my RS1e with EarZonk G-cush than with the stock L-cush.

Nov 21, 2014 at 5:24 PM Post #2,503 of 6,729

Interesting, I've more bass impact on my RS1e with EarZonk G-cush than with the stock L-cush.

Really?!

yeah, no kidding....talk about surprising.....the g cushion never gave me more bass on any Grado that I tried.

It was always less bass...bigger soundstage

Nov 21, 2014 at 5:30 PM Post #2,504 of 6,729
can’t say for sure but looking at pics online, it seems the Earzonk G cush pads use the same material density throughout.  Can pdrm360 confirm this?

on a grado G cush, the material is denser at the ends and there’s a clear transition t the middle part which is much lighter and more porous.

if the earzonk pad is dense material all throughout, then the bass wouldn’t decrease in the same way it does with the grado G cush  pad.

Nov 21, 2014 at 6:06 PM Post #2,505 of 6,729
can’t say for sure but looking at pics online, it seems the Earzonk G cush pads use the same material density throughout.  Can pdrm360 confirm this?

on a grado G cush, the material is denser at the ends and there’s a clear transition t the middle part which is much lighter and more porous.

if the earzonk pad is dense material all throughout, then the bass wouldn’t decrease in the same way it does with the grado G cush  pad.

I can confirm this. I've tried all of the EZ products other than the new leatherette cushions. The foam is consistent on both the G and L Cush.

As aforementioned, I never found the G version to add bass. Always opened up soundstage, lower base, and in some instances made the travel a little unnaturally bright.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back