Grado e Series
Nov 19, 2014 at 3:55 AM Post #2,476 of 6,729
My SR80e being more detailed than my SR80i, I wonder why the opposite happened to the PS500e vs PS500i.

Nov 19, 2014 at 3:56 AM Post #2,477 of 6,729
Hello, does anyone here have experience with Grado vs Koss sound? I own Koss PortaPro and ProDJ100 and I love their engaging, fun, forward, aggressive sound. On paper, Grado should be the next obvious upgrade for me, retaining the same sound signature.

I'm looking for SR80e given my budget, what I'd want is a headphone that is open like PortaPro, but more detailed and with better focus and instrument separation (and punchier bass) like the ProDJ100. I think if I can put togheter those charecteristics in a single headphone, then I've found my definitive can!!! I also wouldn't mind a little more sparkly highs (which I should find in the Grado) but would also like to retain a certain bass presence (i like it either in the PP and in the DJ100, if I just have to say I consider DJ100's bass perfect cause it's more textured and controlled).

So, would be SR80e a good match for me? Any help very appreciated, thanks!!

Nov 19, 2014 at 4:02 AM Post #2,478 of 6,729
Hello, does anyone here have experience with Grado vs Koss sound? I own Koss PortaPro and ProDJ100 and I love their engaging, fun, forward, aggressive sound. On paper, Grado should be the next obvious upgrade for me, retaining the same sound signature.

I'm looking for SR80e given my budget, what I'd want is a headphone that is open like PortaPro, but more detailed and with better focus and instrument separation (and punchier bass) like the ProDJ100. I think if I can put togheter those charecteristics in a single headphone, then I've found my definitive can!!! I also wouldn't mind a little more sparkly highs (which I should find in the Grado) but would also like to retain a certain bass presence (i like it either in the PP and in the DJ100, if I just have to say I consider DJ100's bass perfect cause it's more textured and controlled).

Haven't heard the Koss, but if you're looking for more detail, the SR80e would be it. I'm selling all my current Grados and its only the SR80e I'm keeping as I expect the higher-end models to be like it and much better.

Nov 19, 2014 at 4:05 AM Post #2,479 of 6,729

Grados sound nothing like either of those models. They are more open and aggressive with good detail but compared with the Koss cans you would find them lacking in bass. The reproduce bass guitar notes very well but lack the slam needed for hip-hop and edm type music IMO. There are of course mods you can do to improve the bass if you're keen.

Nov 19, 2014 at 4:42 AM Post #2,480 of 6,729
Dark to me means less emphasis in the top end. I've listened to everything up to the rs1i and they've all sounded brighter than the ps500e to my ears. That's why I ended up choosing the ps500e as I found all the other models too bright.

yes thats what dark means to me as well.

I will say this,I think there is some slight variation in even the same Grado models because what made me fall in love with the PS500e's was when I signed up for TTVJ's Grado 'e' series loaner program here a few months back and signed up for the PS500e .

I purchased a pair new about six weeks after the loaner program and they do not sound as dark to me as the loaner pair i had here for a week,the difference is not massive,but discernible nonetheless.i even wondered "could the person assembling my PS500e have put sr325e drivers in by mistake?" but then these sound identical to the loaner pair in every other respect just  brighter (or perhaps my memory is lying to me) ,and besides i don't think the 325e have THIS much bass (though I've never heard the 325i or 325e only read reviews so i am not sure) .

also i saw another user here at head fi asking when the highs on his recently purchased PS500e would cool off as he found them too bright/sibilant on some albums so i thought okay i guess it's not just me (of course in my experience from owning the SR60i and SR80i Grados require roughly 100 hours burn in for the highs too cool) and of course the loaner pair i had were pre burned in but even now I believe the pair i purchased are a bit brighter (even burned in). I do love them though.

Nov 19, 2014 at 7:13 AM Post #2,481 of 6,729
  speaking of the original PS500s and PortaPros look at this ha!  while i haven't heard the original PS500's I'm fairly certain they would not be trumped by a pair of PortaPros though this graph would have you wondering, proof fr graphs do not tell the whole story.

http://graphs.headphone.com/graphCompare.php?graphType=0&graphID[]=403&graphID[]=3331&scale=30

Truly!  I own both the Koss PP and the PS500 (for sale), and they do not sound alike to my ears.  The bass seems more exaggerated on the PP.  But to your point that FR graphs don't show everything ----- yes ---- how about distortion?   Big difference between PP and PS500.

Nov 19, 2014 at 7:14 AM Post #2,482 of 6,729
  yes thats what dark means to me as well.

I will say this,I think there is some slight variation in even the same Grado models because what made me fall in love with the PS500e's was when I signed up for TTVJ's Grado 'e' series loaner program here a few months back and signed up for the PS500e .

I purchased a pair new about six weeks after the loaner program and they do not sound as dark to me as the loaner pair i had here for a week,the difference is not massive,but discernible nonetheless.i even wondered "could the person assembling my PS500e have put sr325e drivers in by mistake?" but then these sound identical to the loaner pair in every other respect just  brighter (or perhaps my memory is lying to me) ,and besides i don't think the 325e have THIS much bass (though I've never heard the 325i or 325e only read reviews so i am not sure) .

also i saw another user here at head fi asking when the highs on his recently purchased PS500e would cool off as he found them too bright/sibilant on some albums so i thought okay i guess it's not just me (of course in my experience from owning the SR60i and SR80i Grados require roughly 100 hours burn in for the highs too cool) and of course the loaner pair i had were pre burned in but even now I believe the pair i purchased are a bit brighter (even burned in). I do love them though.

So far i've had 2 pairs of PS500e's the first pair had defective drivers which made it sound like they were wired out of phase but the treble sounded pretty good from what i could hear. The replacement pair i got had the left and right channels reversed but they sounded a bit darker in comparison and neither of them sounded brighter than any other models i've tried. They also had an asymmetrical headband and the cups looked like they had been dug up out of the ground so i sent them back in disgust and didnt want anything to do with Grado for a while lol. Now i'm starting to miss the Grado sound again and am torn between the RS1e and PS500e as i dont know which one will have the better top end for my tastes.

Nov 19, 2014 at 8:12 AM Post #2,483 of 6,729

So far i've had 2 pairs of PS500e's the first pair had defective drivers which made it sound like they were wired out of phase but the treble sounded pretty good from what i could hear. The replacement pair i got had the left and right channels reversed but they sounded a bit darker in comparison and neither of them sounded brighter than any other models i've tried. They also had an asymmetrical headband and the cups looked like they had been dug up out of the ground so i sent them back in disgust and didnt want anything to do with Grado for a while lol. Now i'm starting to miss the Grado sound again and am torn between the RS1e and PS500e as i dont know which one will have the better top end for my tastes.

i remember reading your posts here and seeing the pictures of the dirty looking cups and in fact the cups on the loaner pair i had from TTVJ had a similar dark grit around the lettering though nowhere near as severe as the pair you had

i think that freshly dug out of the garden soil look was the result of a poor job on the powder finish they use on the cups. in the fist six weeks of owning mine,the right cup has developed a couple of very small blemishes where two dot shaped areas have had the paint/finish come off , and i absolutely baby these cans ,so i wrote an e mail to Grado Labs and they have offered to replace the cup(s) free of charge as they are so new , but i haven't been able to bring myself to mail them to NY for repair because i love my PS500e's so much i don't want to be without them even for two or three weeks while they are repaired.though i really should before they change their minds and i end up having to pay for it,heh. it's such a small area in both spots though that it only bothers me due to how new they are. if i thought i were going to want to sell them in the future i'd have already mailed them off,but there is no way.i won't sell any of my Grado's they are by far my favorite brand and pair up just beautifully with my Sony F807 DAP.

and especially the PS500e as i like a lot of bass and when i turn the clearbass function on my F807 up to +7 (with +10 being the maximum) these headphones put out a bass and sub bass hit you have to hear to believe.i am talking skull rattling yet with no distortion and a punch and detail I haven't ever heard from any other headphones.granted I also reversed and tape modded (one layer of scotch tape and two layers of electrical tape) my bowl cushions and as i continued to wear them for a few weeks and they softened up the sound got better and better,i even cut small grooves in the back of both cushions (which are now the fronts since i reverse them) to match the slit pattern on the Grado Flat pads which also helped them soften up faster and lets my ear sit closer to the driver without being too close. and i kid you not when i say that with the bass boost and eq settings from my Sony as well as the simple mods on my bowl cushions - these things sound like the headphone audiophiles have always wanted Beats to be (deep reaching rich bass and sub bass,hard hitting and tight plus never bleeding over into the midrange and with incredible dynamic detail across the entire spectrum). granted the bass on these is natural  sounding, not forced and as such is not as prominent on jazz,folk,classical,alternative or classic rock albums as it is with electronic genres like idm,downtempo,bass and drum,techno,rap and hip hop. now if you use a neutral DAC or set your eq flat and don't apply any bass boost of course you won't get as head rattling an experience but the potential to draw it out of these cans is quite easy to achieve and it's more than impressive just how versatile they are.I can't say enough great things about them.

Nov 19, 2014 at 9:14 AM Post #2,484 of 6,729
i remember reading your posts here and seeing the pictures of the dirty looking cups and in fact the cups on the loaner pair i had from TTVJ had a similar dark grit around the lettering though nowhere near as severe as the pair you had

i think that freshly dug out of the garden soil look was the result of a poor job on the powder finish they use on the cups. in the fist six weeks of owning mine,the right cup has developed a couple of very small blemishes where two dot shaped areas have had the paint/finish come off , and i absolutely baby these cans ,so i wrote an e mail to Grado Labs and they have offered to replace the cup(s) free of charge as they are so new , but i haven't been able to bring myself to mail them to NY for repair because i love my PS500e's so much i don't want to be without them even for two or three weeks while they are repaired.though i really should before they change their minds and i end up having to pay for it,heh. it's such a small area in both spots though that it only bothers me due to how new they are. if i thought i were going to want to sell them in the future i'd have already mailed them off,but there is no way.i won't sell any of my Grado's they are by far my favorite brand and pair up just beautifully with my Sony F807 DAP.

and especially the PS500e as i like a lot of bass and when i turn the clearbass function on my F807 up to +7 (with +10 being the maximum) these headphones put out a bass and sub bass hit you have to hear to believe.i am talking skull rattling yet with no distortion and a punch and detail I haven't ever heard from any other headphones.granted I also reversed and tape modded (one layer of scotch tape and two layers of electrical tape) my bowl cushions and as i continued to wear them for a few weeks and they softened up the sound got better and better,i even cut small grooves in the back of both cushions (which are now the fronts since i reverse them) to match the slit pattern on the Grado Flat pads which also helped them soften up faster and lets my ear sit closer to the driver without being too close. and i kid you not when i say that with the bass boost and eq settings from my Sony as well as the simple mods on my bowl cushions - these things sound like the headphone audiophiles have always wanted Beats to be (deep reaching rich bass and sub bass,hard hitting and tight plus never bleeding over into the midrange and with incredible dynamic detail across the entire spectrum). granted the bass on these is natural  sounding, not forced and as such is not as prominent on jazz,folk,classical,alternative or classic rock albums as it is with electronic genres like idm,downtempo,bass and drum,techno,rap and hip hop. now if you use a neutral DAC or set your eq flat and don't apply any bass boost of course you won't get as head rattling an experience but the potential to draw it out of these cans is quite easy to achieve and it's more than impressive just how versatile they are.I can't say enough great things about them.

You may have just persuaded me to go for the ps500s again lol! Are you able to post a picture of the mod, I'd be very interested to have a look. Thanks!

Nov 19, 2014 at 12:04 PM Post #2,487 of 6,729
  I have been using ps1000e for couple of days. My ears keep touching the sounding units which really irritate me. At one time I almost throw this headphone out. Luckily the window is locked.

I have tried ps1000i before and there is no such condition. After searching on line, I see the units are little bit closer to my ears in e series.

AND, BE AWARE, THERE IS A NEW PLASTIC HARD RING AROUND THE SOUNDING UNIT AND KEEPS TOUCHING MY EARS.

SEE THIS PICTURE TAKEN BY MYSELF http://puu.sh/cWmS6/e13fdc0bb5.jpg

Then I wrote to Grado costumer service in a polite manner to ask any possible solutions. After explaining my confusions with new units problem, you will never guess how they respond.

They said (in blue)
"
there is NO difference in the physical dimensions of the "I" or the "e' versions.

please try adjusting the headband for your head

let us know is you have any questions"

Look, that's funny. Maybe they don't know the issue.

Then I SEND them the pictures to show differences between PS1000 and PS1000e. There is obviously a new plastic ring around units in e model and higher units.

Now they respond quickly:
"
There is NO Measurable Difference in the physical dimensions

it only appears that way

"
I am finally angry. it only appears that way! Gesus, you feel uncomfortable and yes, your evidence looks true. But they just APPEAR THAT WAY. It is really Grado way to give feedback. Costumers complain with evidences and they simply say 'No, we are right, the problem is on YOU'.

Though, I am still politely reply another evidence, trying to convince them the problem exists.

I sent a link of headfi 
http://www.head-fi.org/t/520884/ps1000-impressions-thread/1200#post_11054930
which says another user find difference of the G-cushion might determine the model difference. 

GUESS what Grado would respond, 

it is SOOOO EASY TO GUESS:

"the "G" cushions have NOT changed"

OK PAPA Grado. You are always right. Though I am pretty sure it has something to do with the knowledge of costumer service. He might never use these headphones.

Well, at least he promised to tell Mr. Grado about the absurd differences I found. 

I feel your pain, when I tried the PS1Ke's for a few weeks I too could feel my ears touching the drivers and it was an annoyance. Most of the time I could adjust the headband to compensate for the pressure but it was less than ideal. So from a comfort standpoint on the "e" PS I give Grado a D.  

Now I have a pair of PS1000's and find my ears do not touch the drivers and don't have this issue. Too bad Grado doesn't acknowledge there own manufacturing differences between the two. I also received an extra pair for G cushions and they are exactly the same as the ones used on both the e and non-e version of the headphone.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back