Grado e Series
Oct 4, 2014 at 4:13 PM Post #2,011 of 6,729
  True and the plug would have to fit in an iPhone. someone should do an experiment and have some famous person were a pair of quality headphones. And see how the sales take off. That's how the boots UGHs became so popular.

Don't forget, all the Grado (e) models are now terminated 1/8"…with the exception of the PS1Ke/GS1Ke, so thats already covered. 
wink.gif

Oct 4, 2014 at 4:18 PM Post #2,012 of 6,729
  If Dr Dre wore Grados out in public  or any other famous person kids would be buying them up.

Thats the way of this shallow world we live in, peers pressure, image & advertising = kids grow up miss educated in what real quality is!

Oct 4, 2014 at 7:21 PM Post #2,014 of 6,729
^and just electronic beats without real singing so what would be the purpose of getting audiophile equipment? There is no organic and natural "feel" of the vocals or real instruments thus no depth or purpose for soundstage. It is truly sad.

Oct 4, 2014 at 8:11 PM Post #2,015 of 6,729
In a deep voice,,,,Good evening ladies and gentleman welcome to those in attendance in Grado E Series forum and those who are watching around the world… LETS GET READY TO HEADPHONE RUMBBLLLLLLE.

The challenger weighing a stealth 9.6 oz and with an excellent record hailing from Brooklyn NY please welcome GS1000e (applause, applause).

And his opponent weighing in at a respectable 17.2 oz with a perfect record ranked #4 by the IHFA (international head fi association) and current top Grado dog from Brooklyn NY please welcome PS1000e (applause, applause, applause).

Now that I’ve got that out of my system…here is how things break down and which one I prefer.

This prize fight will be used with my PORTABLE dynamic duo the Vorz Pure II amp with the RWAK120S.  I listen to mostly 24 bit and some flac. I have a 300+GB of music stored.  I know the PS1000e isn’t designed to be used as portable headphone, but since I like the GS1000e so much I had to give it a try, plus its lighter then the Audeze LCD phones that are all 21+oz.  My comments are base solely on my set up and ears.  I’m sure if mated with a better amp both headphones would sound much different and even better than what I’ve experienced.  I also have a fair amount of high frequency hearing loss so what I hear is much different that what you hear.  

Compared to the GS1000e the….

PS1000e sounds & feels….

Cleaner, in the highest frequencies (Eddie Van Halen for example)

Drum tones sounds more realistic (tom toms)

More balanced sound, more forward sounding mids (ripeness), not over or under done in any frequency

Soundstage feels like you are inside the music (vs facing the music)

Thicker “bigger” sound

Slower

Equal or just slightly less dynamic

More forward sounding all frequencies

More transparent

More controlled tighter bass

Not super comfortable, ears touch the drivers with more pressure due to weight

Walking with these requires that you always look ahead and not move your head around much.  If you look down your headband will move and you need to re-adjust.

Walks can be fatiguing over time with the extra 1 lb on you head

Compared to the PS1000e….

GS1000e sound & feels…

More polite

Dryer sounding bass, more “pluck” less boom

Has airiness to the sound

Greater micro detail

Instruments are in better focus, isolated within the sound stage-you can hear & pin point the individual instruments easier

The sound stage sounds more realistic to me (wide & deep & directly in front of you)

Easier to listen to over a long period of time

Smoother highs, yet extended

Faster sound (with some music ie. Rock)

Very sweet sounding

More comfortable for walking, you can bend your head up & down, and side to side easily

Ear touches driver but due to lightweight it’s hardly noticeable

More “fun” sounding

Slightly more dynamic depending on the music

Electric guitar & vocals sound more realistic

Vocals have more "breath"

So as the judges tally up the totals lets hear a word from our sponsor.

“Are you known for late night listening session alone & in the dark?  Are you obsessed with the burning desire to upgrade your equipment even though what you have sounds great?  We have the answer for you “The HeadFi Implant”. I digress…

All three judges score the fight 113 to 110, the winner and new BGC (Blownaway Grado Champion) champion of the world is GS1000e! (applause, applause, applause).

I few tracks that really helped me decide which I liked better were the first track on Mark Knopfer’s CD Shangri-La. The first 40 seconds or Mark sings with his guitar strumming.  His vocals sound superb, the richness and tonality of his unique voice sounds like he is right in front of you.

Electric guitar had a bit more “bite” with the GS1000e.  For example, I heard the raw edge & distortion of Eddie Van Halen on there first album.

Until my next phone shows up to try to take the crown (PH900?) this is the best I headphone I’ve ever heard. I’ll take that implant now. 
wink_face.gif

Oct 4, 2014 at 10:39 PM Post #2,017 of 6,729
I have, and there's a thread regarding the Bushmills

Oct 5, 2014 at 7:10 PM Post #2,019 of 6,729
  In a deep voice,,,,Good evening ladies and gentleman welcome to those in attendance in Grado E Series forum and those who are watching around the world… LETS GET READY TO HEADPHONE RUMBBLLLLLLE.

The challenger weighing a stealth 9.6 oz and with an excellent record hailing from Brooklyn NY please welcome GS1000e (applause, applause)....

This was great, thank you for the write up. Wish I had the pleasure of hearing either of these. 

Enjoy!

Oct 5, 2014 at 8:09 PM Post #2,020 of 6,729
I just listened to the SR80e and I loved them--and I am ordering a pair tonight.  Can anyone recommend an inexpensive case/box on Amazon to store them in at my desk?  What are the dimensions of the headphones when laying flat and/or the foam they came in?  Thanks for your advice. 

Oct 5, 2014 at 8:29 PM Post #2,021 of 6,729
  I just listened to the SR80e and I loved them--and I am ordering a pair tonight.  Can anyone recommend an inexpensive case/box on Amazon to store them in at my desk?  What are the dimensions of the headphones when laying flat and/or the foam they came in?  Thanks for your advice. 

Just buy a headphone stand (Omega shape like blownaway has above which will cost you ~$80-over $100, or a more afforable T shape or a up-side-down L shape) or a hook (Sennheiser has one called HH10 or something like that).
A box would take a lot of work doing daily... (rounding the cable, making sure the cups don't twisted the cable...)
However, in case you wanna go fancy, there is a genuine Grado luxury wooden box sold by its authorized dealer, which is ~$100.

Oct 5, 2014 at 9:05 PM Post #2,022 of 6,729

The challenger weighing a stealth 9.6 oz and with an excellent record hailing from Brooklyn NY please welcome GS1000e (applause, applause).

And his opponent weighing in at a respectable 17.2 oz with a perfect record ranked #4 by the IHFA (international head fi association) and current top Grado dog from Brooklyn NY please welcome PS1000e (applause, applause, applause).

Now that I’ve got that out of my system…here is how things break down and which one I prefer.

This prize fight will be used with my PORTABLE dynamic duo the Vorz Pure II amp with the RWAK120S.  I listen to mostly 24 bit and some flac. I have a 300+GB of music stored.  I know the PS1000e isn’t designed to be used as portable headphone, but since I like the GS1000e so much I had to give it a try, plus its lighter then the Audeze LCD phones that are all 21+oz.  My comments are base solely on my set up and ears.  I’m sure if mated with a better amp both headphones would sound much different and even better than what I’ve experienced.  I also have a fair amount of high frequency hearing loss so what I hear is much different that what you hear.  

Compared to the GS1000e the….

PS1000e sounds & feels….

Cleaner, in the highest frequencies (Eddie Van Halen for example)

Drum tones sounds more realistic (tom toms)

More balanced sound, more forward sounding mids (ripeness), not over or under done in any frequency

Soundstage feels like you are inside the music (vs facing the music)

Thicker “bigger” sound

Slower

Equal or just slightly less dynamic

More forward sounding all frequencies

More transparent

More controlled tighter bass

Not super comfortable, ears touch the drivers with more pressure due to weight

Walking with these requires that you always look ahead and not move your head around much.  If you look down your headband will move and you need to re-adjust.

Walks can be fatiguing over time with the extra 1 lb on you head

Compared to the PS1000e….

GS1000e sound & feels…

More polite

Dryer sounding bass, more “pluck” less boom

Has airiness to the sound

Greater micro detail

Instruments are in better focus, isolated within the sound stage-you can hear & pin point the individual instruments easier

The sound stage sounds more realistic to me (wide & deep & directly in front of you)

Easier to listen to over a long period of time

Smoother highs, yet extended

Faster sound (with some music ie. Rock)

Very sweet sounding

More comfortable for walking, you can bend your head up & down, and side to side easily

Ear touches driver but due to lightweight it’s hardly noticeable

More “fun” sounding

Slightly more dynamic depending on the music

Electric guitar & vocals sound more realistic

Vocals have more "breath"

So as the judges tally up the totals lets hear a word from our sponsor.

“Are you known for late night listening session alone & in the dark?  Are you obsessed with the burning desire to upgrade your equipment even though what you have sounds great?  We have the answer for you “The HeadFi Implant”. I digress…

All three judges score the fight 113 to 110, the winner and new BGC (Blownaway Grado Champion) champion of the world is GS1000e! (applause, applause, applause).

I few tracks that really helped me decide which I liked better were the first track on Mark Knopfer’s CD Shangri-La. The first 40 seconds or Mark sings with his guitar strumming.  His vocals sound superb, the richness and tonality of his unique voice sounds like he is right in front of you.

Electric guitar had a bit more “bite” with the GS1000e.  For example, I heard the raw edge & distortion of Eddie Van Halen on there first album.

Until my next phone shows up to try to take the crown (PH900?) this is the best I headphone I’ve ever heard. I’ll take that implant now. :wink_face:

Have you compared the GS1000e with RS1e and PS500e? Interested in these comparisons.

Oct 5, 2014 at 9:29 PM Post #2,024 of 6,729
+1…I wouldn't count the RSx out, at all!
I never heard the PS-500x, so I can't comment.
I think these new "e" drivers are a LOT better on detail extraction basing in my brand new SR80i and SR80e. The difference is not small, it's substantial.

Oct 5, 2014 at 9:34 PM Post #2,025 of 6,729
I think these new "e" drivers are a LOT better on detail extraction basing in my brand new SR80i and SR80e. The difference is not small, it's substantial.

I think I've already asked you NOT to tempt me with the (e) series!!!
Lol, just kidding, glad you like the (e) series so much. I'm more than fine right now with all of the (i) series Grados I own…but if I get the chance, I would like to hear/compare the (e) series with my models some day down the road.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back