Grado e Series
Oct 1, 2014 at 8:37 AM Post #1,966 of 6,729
Vs the sr80i, does anybody find the sr80e a LOT more detailed? I can now hear or now clearly hear tiny details like breath, mouth/lips/saliva opening/shutting, etc. And treble is more fine (80i with courser treble).

However, it's a bit too "shouty" with midrange (female vocals).

Anybody find this true to them as well? I'm thinking I might have gotten a freak 80e with drivers for RS or higher lineup..:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Oct 1, 2014 at 9:30 AM Post #1,967 of 6,729
Btw, I used bowls (L-cushion) on both 80i and 80e. This may be the reason why my 80e is a bit too "shouty"? So go flats with 80e, I guess.?

Oct 1, 2014 at 7:04 PM Post #1,968 of 6,729
Vs the sr80i, does anybody find the sr80e a LOT more detailed? I can now hear or now clearly hear tiny details like breath, mouth/lips/saliva opening/shutting, etc. And treble is more fine (80i with courser treble).

However, it's a bit too "shouty" with midrange (female vocals).

Anybody find this true to them as well? I'm thinking I might have gotten a freak 80e with drivers for RS or higher lineup..:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

You can try flats but I think the L cushions should be fine. If you have not put much play/break in time on them I think you should that shout smooth down a bit, minimum 50 hours.

Enjoy :wink:

Oct 1, 2014 at 7:20 PM Post #1,969 of 6,729
I tryed the L-cush last night on my SR80i, and I still prefer the flats, I like the added bass extension, the midrange presence, and overall smoother sound signature.

Oct 1, 2014 at 10:12 PM Post #1,970 of 6,729
You can try flats but I think the L cushions should be fine. If you have not put much play/break in time on them I think you should that shout smooth down a bit, minimum 50 hours.

Enjoy :wink:

ESL, both my 80i and 80e are brand new. Bought 80i earlier by a month, and haven't used/broke it in actually. So they're both brand new.

Just wondering if others find the details and more fine treble for their 80es or e Grados a LOT more.

I think the "shouty" vocals are due to lesser lower frequencies with the L/bowls. Everything is fine with S/flats. Very balanced actually IMO. And much better than 80i.

I actually find the details on 80e with flats comparable to RS1i, but obviously without the "wooded out" or smoothed out effect on RS1.

If the lot more fine treble (refined) and more details are also true for the other e Grados, I'll be all over the higher models.

I find very few comparatives on i and e.

Oct 1, 2014 at 10:17 PM Post #1,971 of 6,729
I tryed the L-cush last night on my SR80i, and I still prefer the flats, I like the added bass extension, the midrange presence, and overall smoother sound signature.

I find it weird---I find bowls with 80i better, but on 80e flats are lot better. And what's even more weird is, for me, the bowls on 80i makes the lower frequencies (LF) MORE. I'm serious. I'm thinking the bowls made my ears more "sealed" (due to my ear size/shape?), hence more LF.

Oct 2, 2014 at 12:24 AM Post #1,974 of 6,729
I find it weird---I find bowls with 80i better, but on 80e flats are lot better. And what's even more weird is, for me, the bowls on 80i makes the lower frequencies (LF) MORE. I'm serious. I'm thinking the bowls made my ears more "sealed" (due to my ear size/shape?), hence more LF.

Lol grado pads don't seal anything...

Oct 2, 2014 at 1:21 AM Post #1,975 of 6,729
Hehe...I know. But you know what I mean. I think it's less open or a bit sealed when I use L-cush. I'm quite surprised and have to A-B it again and again. I'm quite OC on putting the pads in my ears though, so they're maybe less detached and closer to sealed...lol

But men, the new drivers are awesome. Can't wait to try the higher models' drivers.

Oct 2, 2014 at 1:26 AM Post #1,976 of 6,729
ESL, both my 80i and 80e are brand new. Bought 80i earlier by a month, and haven't used/broke it in actually. So they're both brand new.

Just wondering if others find the details and more fine treble for their 80es or e Grados a LOT more.

I think the "shouty" vocals are due to lesser lower frequencies with the L/bowls. Everything is fine with S/flats. Very balanced actually IMO. And much better than 80i.

I actually find the details on 80e with flats comparable to RS1i, but obviously without the "wooded out" or smoothed out effect on RS1.

If the lot more fine treble (refined) and more details are also true for the other e Grados, I'll be all over the higher models.

I find very few comparatives on i and e.

My experience with a direct e comparison is with the PS500e vs. the PS500 I previously had. The 500e has more refinement to the mids and highs and more detail in the bass.

I took you meant the S comfy pads when you stated flats. It would worth experimenting with the old style flats such as TTVJ sells, they could well prove to be the best sonic match on your 80's.

Have fun. :xf_eek:

Oct 2, 2014 at 1:31 AM Post #1,977 of 6,729
Lol grado pads don't seal anything...
My experience with a direct e comparison is with the PS500e vs. the PS500 I previously had. The 500e has more refinement to the mids and highs and more detail I'm the bass.

I took you meant the S comfy pads when you stated flats. It would worth experimenting with the old style flats such as TTVJ sells, they could well prove to be the best sonic match on your 80's.

Have fun. :xf_eek:

Yes, I agree. More refined and more detailed. Maybe the 80e drivers are just tuned to flats (S-Cush) so they tuned it with more mids, hence the shouty impression on me with the L-Cush. But with flats they der perfect to my ears.

With more impressions on e higher end models I'd be inclined to give up my 325is and RS1i for a possible new PS500e!

You think that's a good idea?

And what's your personal opinion/reason you chose PS500i over RS1i? Also, why PS500e over RS1e?

Oct 2, 2014 at 11:20 AM Post #1,979 of 6,729
Got my 3 (for the price of one since I kept on asking) replies from Grado Labs.

SR80e are very neutral, have more bass extension than 60e, and better stereo imaging due to better matched drivers. Will order as soon as I get my 100$ back after returning the ATH M40x.

Oct 2, 2014 at 11:29 AM Post #1,980 of 6,729
Like Joseph said, when I say flats, I mean TTVJ flats.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back