Grado e Series
Sep 11, 2014 at 1:08 AM Post #1,772 of 6,729
Wow!, way to go Aizura!, I wonder if having less mass on the gimbals has an impact on the sound.

Food for thought.

It was Pierre's and Fifi's birthday today, and they both recieved headphones as gifts, Pierre the PS500 (bass oriented), and ffi the SR325 (treble oriented). They both prefer a neutral sound, and they both have the exact same musical taste.. Ironically,  both Pierre and Fifi are very pleased with their new Grados, how is this possible?

The answer lies in their upstream equipement, Pierre's sound system is treble oriented, (wich compensate's just enough for the PS500 treble roll off), while Fifi's has treble roll off), wich compensate's just enough for the SR325 treble peak). so the end result, while not identical, is similar enough, so that our neutral sound loving couple, are both enjoying their new Grados very much. And that is what it's all about.

We all want to get to the same destination, (musical enjoyment), we just take different paths to get there.

And if some of you think that I should be medicated, I already am!.

Sep 11, 2014 at 7:34 PM Post #1,773 of 6,729
Any weight differences between e-series and their respective prior generation counterpart? I was compelled to ask when I saw online that the SR325 weighs more than the PS500

Sep 11, 2014 at 8:29 PM Post #1,774 of 6,729
Alright since we're on the subject of weight, permit me to talk about the elephant in the room, it doesn't take a degree in mechanical engineering to figure out that the rod blocks on the gloryfied dumbells that are the PS1000 are grossly inadequate. I mean come on John!, I know that you and your father don't share the same views regarding how headphones should sound, but at least he knew that to hold the HP1000's heavy cups, he needed to desing some serious rod blocks with a tightening screw.

This desing flaw alone is enough to discredit the PS1000 as a serious contender in the heavyweight class. This is too bad because I think that the PS1000 can hold their own against the best that other brands have to offer. My PS1000 have laid flat on a shelf since day one, while right next to them, my HP1000 are hanging proudly on a custom headphone stand that I made.  

It's too bad that Grado missed the opportunity to make this right with the new PS1000 ''e'' serie. Of course it's never too late to right a wrong, and they also should offer a free upgrade to the new PS1000''e'' early adopters.

What?, I can dream, can't I?           

Sep 11, 2014 at 8:45 PM Post #1,775 of 6,729
I wonder if grado reads these forums.
Also being a family run business i can appreciate the limited resources and budget so tbh i think requesting metallurgy and injection moulding machinery to redefine the clip holding area is not a profitable one.
For what the e series offer i think it's reasonable from a company like grado. Unfortunately most people seem to think it's much more resourceful on the likes of sennheisser and other big companies.
To produce such a varying line-up is commendable & great for consumer but i personally think they should cut back to sr80e, rs1e and gs1000e about 3 models at most and spend a tad more refining these with better mods like cushion for head band, better wiring (silver/silver-copper hybrid) and the occasional limited release versions.

My 2c worth.

Sep 11, 2014 at 10:19 PM Post #1,776 of 6,729
I'll tell you what…I don't have one single complaint about any of my Grados, and think they are made specifically to listen too and enjoy! And I think they are extremely comfortable headphone, or I wouldn't bother owning them. I've posted this plenty of times…for people with issues with the weight of the SR-325/PS1K/PS500, or for any Grado due to the rod block/gimbal design where the cups slide down from the weight/wear on the rod blocks, and can no longer hold your desired adjustment, just go buy chrome/black 1/8" shaft collars/O-rings for them, and the cups won't move…I do this to all my Grados as soon as I get them.

Sep 11, 2014 at 10:43 PM Post #1,777 of 6,729
I'll tell you what…I don't have one single complaint about any of my Grados, and think they are made specifically to listen too and enjoy! And I think they are extremely comfortable headphone, or I wouldn't bother owning them. I've posted this plenty of times…for people with issues with the weight of the SR-325/PS1K/PS500, or for any Grado due to the rod block/gimbal design where the cups slide down from the weight/wear on the rod blocks, and can no longer hold your desired adjustment, just go buy chrome/black 1/8" shaft collars/O-rings for them, and the cups won't move…I do this to all my Grados as soon as I get them.

I agree completely Joseph, I find them to be extremely comfortable, although to be fair, I have not had the fortune to hear the PS1000 or GS1000 yet. Regarding the shaft collars, how are they attached? Does one just remove the rubber tips and slide them on? And if so, do the tips just pull off or are they glued on?

Sep 11, 2014 at 11:26 PM Post #1,778 of 6,729

No problem here either and no complaints at all.  I have either owned or had long time possession of just about all of the Grados and the rods have never been an issue for me although I generally tend to box my phones when not in use although my PS500 previously and PS500e now usually are hanging on a stand and the rods never budged at all.  Joseph69's solution if you do find your's sliding sounds simple and easy.

BTW, just to keep the lineage straight it was John Grado's uncle Joe who started the business around 1953 with John eventually taking the reins as Joe eventually wanted to pursue some of his many other interests.  That would have been the late 80's/early 90's if my memory serves me well.  John greatly expanded the headphone line from that time starting with the Prestige and then Reference Series and has continued to do so with great success over the years.  The multiple awards and excellent reviews his products have garnered are certainly proof of that.  The new e series is just the latest in that evolution.  Keep in mind that both Joe and now John have always marketed a wide lineup of excellent sounding and typical of Grado, good value phono cartridges throughout this time and Grado Labs continues to do so.

Sep 11, 2014 at 11:29 PM Post #1,779 of 6,729
I agree completely Joseph, I find them to be extremely comfortable, although to be fair, I have not had the fortune to hear the PS1000 or GS1000 yet. Regarding the shaft collars, how are they attached? Does one just remove the rubber tips and slide them on? And if so, do the tips just pull off or are they glued on?

I heat up the rubber boot with a hair dryer for about 3-5 minutes and pull them off, then place the 1/8" O-ring on top of the rod block, then place the shaft collar on and tighten the set screw a little bit and just put the rubber boot right back on without ant adhesive (they won't fall off). When you put the shaft collars on…lay the headphones flat with the cups facing you/up, and line the set screw up with the seam of the rod block…now be careful when you pick them up not to let them rotate 360 degrees, because the set screw is sharp and stick out just enough that it will mark your headband.
beerchug.gif

Sep 12, 2014 at 8:28 AM Post #1,780 of 6,729
does the grado sr60e S cushion way smaller than sr60i S cushion...?

can anyone tell me about this..? cheers...

where i live i hv no place to demo, i made a leap of faith and bought the new sr60e online because my sr60i left driver is intermittent based on where i positioned the cable. (probably the connector between cable and driver...)

when it arrived today i noticed that the S cushion on the new E is wayy smaller than the S cushion on the I. by the way i also bought L cushion with the sr60e. the L cushion that i received is the same size with the s cushion on the sr60e, just thicker.

is what i receive really an L cushion...?

im sorry i hvnt posted any pictures yet... i hope somebody can help me and i apologize for the bad english

cheers...

mike

Sep 12, 2014 at 5:11 PM Post #1,781 of 6,729
I wonder if grado reads these forums.
Also being a family run business i can appreciate the limited resources and budget so tbh i think requesting metallurgy and injection moulding machinery to redefine the clip holding area is not a profitable one.
For what the e series offer i think it's reasonable from a company like grado. Unfortunately most people seem to think it's much more resourceful on the likes of sennheisser and other big companies.
To produce such a varying line-up is commendable & great for consumer but i personally think they should cut back to sr80e, rs1e and gs1000e about 3 models at most and spend a tad more refining these with better mods like cushion for head band, better wiring (silver/silver-copper hybrid) and the occasional limited release versions.

My 2c worth.

Family run business or not, Grado Labs are plenty profitable, no doubt. I certainly don't think their budget and resources are anywhere near as limited as some people think - they are certainly (and rightfully so) making a LOT of money selling their products especially since they are becoming more and more popular.

Redefining the clip holding area is really not that big a thing. They already have metallurgy and injection molding machinery to make metal cups anyhow.

I think having such a varied line-up of products is pretty great, and fairly profitable to them as well considering how many people own more than one pair of grados. Better wiring is absolutely pointless, if we're talking about non-profitable things to do, that's at the top of the list - why bother spending more to put silver wires that will sound exactly the same as the current copper ones?

Sep 12, 2014 at 7:10 PM Post #1,782 of 6,729
the pict for my previous question...

you see the S cushion for my old sr60i and the new sr60e is different... (im aware that the driver for the new ones are closer to the ear...)

also... i hv a friend who has sr80e and sr325e, when i try my friend's L cushion on his grados a couple weeks ago, it felt natural and comfy, (i never hv problem with sr60i s cushion pads either...). but when i put the L cushion on my sr60e, i felt like im wearing a torture device... the pads themselves are perfectly fine, but my upear ear tab (bone?) touch the driver directly, and ouch, it hurts.

1) is the sr60e and sr80e have different protruding driver-to-ear distance or is this just placebo because the goods is new...? (which could explains my extreme uncomfortableness wearing the sr60e with L cushion :frowning2: )
2) is the s cushion for the new e series different than the i series...?
3) and also... are the L cushion supposed to be as small as in my picture? (because i seem to recall my friend's sr325e L cushion to be a bit bigger...)

are all my questions just imaginary or did i somehow got defect goods...?

btw, i live in asia so i can't ask grado directly about this, they are pretty strict with regional distribution and my parts of asia, the grado distributor isn't even in the same country, and i tried asking them (about repairing my old sr60i), and their responses aren't what i would call quick...

ps: also i can't compare to my friend's E grados anymore because we live in a different country, just so happen to meet a couple weeks back :D

thank you in advance for the answer...

=====
for another L cushion comparison... (is my L cushion supposed to be this small..?) you see on the background there's @heatfan12 post that shows many pads... which i assume the two pads next to my pads are heatfan12's S and L pads... where the L pad looks bigger in picture, why my L pads are the same size as the new S pads, did i get a dud...?

the L cushion in itself is fine but when i wear it my upper ear touches the driver directly and it hurts..

pps...:: as mentioned in my previous post, here in this part of asia, on the part of the city where i live, i can only buy the stuff online, can't audition and can't see the goods either... so yeah, i hv no comparison with the real thing (except the one time i met my friend a couple weeks ago)...

Sep 13, 2014 at 11:33 AM Post #1,784 of 6,729
there’s two comparisons that I know of on head-fi. one in this thread and i think one in the ps1000 impressions thread. should be easy to find with search.

seems like ps1000e has wider soundstage, more precise imaging, less bass bump at 100 hz and more bass extension

Sep 13, 2014 at 11:37 AM Post #1,785 of 6,729
  there’s two comparisons that I know of on head-fi. one in this thread and i think one in the ps1000 impressions thread. should be easy to find with search.

seems like ps1000e has wider soundstage, more precise imaging, less bass bump at 100 hz and more bass extension

Thank you!  I'll search for the posts.  :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back