Grado e Series
Sep 2, 2014 at 12:37 PM Post #1,741 of 6,729
Love this forum.  Learn something new everyday.  So, the PS-500e doesn't do female vocals justice?  This could change future decisions or one just has a different headphone to cover female vocals.  I do need to hear these headphones before buying.  I am curious about these Bushmills but appears I'm late to the party.  Can these still be had new or is it basically luck on the forums or Ebay?  I saw one sold on Ebay for $750.  Ouch.  

Sep 2, 2014 at 1:31 PM Post #1,742 of 6,729
Coincidentally, I started thinking about this just last week.

If I'm always reaching to listen to the same set of headphones,
what am I doing with all the others?

I've had several headphones for so long it seems 'normal',
but now I'm not sure that it is.  I'd probably keep two open
headphones and two closed.  And two for the gym.

Ugh!  That's 6 right there. 
But it's fewer than I have now.

It's so easy to build up a collection and so difficult to sell them but for me it was getting out of hand. So I bit the bullet and started selling everything I wasn't using anymore. The irony is I then had money to buy more gear haha. I've still got 4 pairs of headphones left but have limited myself to this number. If I buy any more, after a suitable time for them to establish their place in the collection, I have to be brutal and get rid of one. I haven't applied this rule to iems yet although I did sell my spare tf10's. But it's so hard, their like children to me :cry:

Sep 2, 2014 at 3:07 PM Post #1,743 of 6,729
I've owned a pair of PS 500 for about six months now, and I have to say this when I first heard them before they were broken in, they were a bit muddy and disappointing.. However as they begin open up they very quickly began to soundbetter and better... As far as female vocals go, I kinda prefer the richness of the PS 500s on female vocals more than I like them on my RS 2's. In the end though it all comes down to personal taste, but as far as my ears go, once properly broken in PS 500s are hard to beat on any vocals...Yes they are a bit low end heavy, but a lot of that goes away with time..:)

Sep 2, 2014 at 3:11 PM Post #1,744 of 6,729
  Love this forum.  Learn something new everyday.  So, the PS-500e doesn't do female vocals justice?  This could change future decisions or one just has a different headphone to cover female vocals.  I do need to hear these headphones before buying.  I am curious about these Bushmills but appears I'm late to the party.  Can these still be had new or is it basically luck on the forums or Ebay?  I saw one sold on Ebay for $750.  Ouch.  

Yes, you must buy them used, they are no longer in production, good luck, I'm sure if you keep your eyes out you will eventually find a pair for sale.

Sep 2, 2014 at 9:02 PM Post #1,745 of 6,729
I'm in the market myself for a pair of mint, buttoned RS1, so I'l keep an eye out for some Bushmills X. for you WNBC.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                          

Sep 2, 2014 at 10:20 PM Post #1,746 of 6,729
Thank you

Any likelihood that Grado would re-start the Bushmills at some point?  Seems to have been a successful release.

Quote:
  I'm in the market myself for a pair of mint, buttoned RS1, so I'l keep an eye out for some Bushmills X. for you WNBC.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                          

Sep 2, 2014 at 10:30 PM Post #1,747 of 6,729
Thank you

Any likelihood that Grado would re-start the Bushmills at some point?  Seems to have been a successful release.

Quote:

Nope, emailed them about it a couple of months ago, and they said there were no plans on continuing/resuming production.

Sep 2, 2014 at 11:07 PM Post #1,748 of 6,729
For anyone in this group using BBM Channels, you can add the Grado Labs channel using PIN code: C001C2518

Sep 3, 2014 at 1:01 AM Post #1,750 of 6,729
I had the PS500 which I liked very much. I have since received a set of PS500e to replace them. I only got them several days ago and am still in the process of breaking them in. That said, out of the box new I noticed improvements across the full spectrum. Bass had better detail, mids and highs sounded more refined. Now over 50 hours in on them those impressions are being reinforced and improved upon. Prior to this I heard the SR60e directly against the 60i and heard similar differences but to a much smaller degree.

I will auditioning the PS1000e and SR325e in the next few weeks and will report further.
:)
Get the new e version would be my advice. :cool:

Well, I now have probably close to 200 hours of play/break in time on my new PS500e and they are now really showing their stuff. My previous experience with the earlier PS500 proved that these models really need a minimum break in of 100 hours, a bit more than I have experienced with other Grado models I have owned or currently own. All that aside as much as I liked the original 500 the new e series version is the better of the two in my opinion. Bass detail is improved and the mids and highs have gained in refinement without losing any of their ability to be a rock and roll wiz. As I sit here listening to some of my non rock reference disks (ie Burmester Art of Sound disc 2, Belefonte at Carnegie Hall, JVC XRCD2 processed and various Chesky and other JVC XRCD discs) I realize that the PS500e is in no way a one trick pony, it spans my wide eclectic choices of music types and does so with an ability far beyond it's price range. Another high performance to price value winner from Grado Labs. With many other quality headphones to chose from in my collection I still know these will be getting a lot of head time, highly recommended in my book.

:)

Sep 5, 2014 at 8:17 AM Post #1,751 of 6,729
  According to what the folks on Grado,said, the 325e is the best selling headphone in the range,maybe not a coincidence, as you get a top product for a very affordable price.

I highly doubt that. The SR60i has about 550 customer reviews on Amazon, and the SR80i has almost 700. The SR325is has about 115. I'd think the SR80i/SR80e is the top-selling model: many people psychologically don't desire the lowest-end model, and the $20 upgrade from the SR60i to the SR80i isn't much.

Sep 5, 2014 at 8:48 AM Post #1,752 of 6,729
I highly doubt that. The SR60i has about 550 customer reviews on Amazon, and the SR80i has almost 700. The SR325is has about 115. I'd think the SR80i/SR80e is the top-selling model: many people psychologically don't desire the lowest-end model, and the $20 upgrade from the SR60i to the SR80i isn't much.
I only did repeat what John Grado's son said.

Sep 5, 2014 at 5:12 PM Post #1,753 of 6,729

It's like ordering the second cheapest bottle on the wine list :D

Sep 5, 2014 at 5:36 PM Post #1,754 of 6,729

It's like ordering the second cheapest bottle on the wine list
biggrin.gif

biggrin.gif

Sep 5, 2014 at 7:44 PM Post #1,755 of 6,729
Allow me to finish that thought for you sinnottj, ''It like ordering the second cheapest bottle on the wine list'', and getting about 75% of the taste that the most expensive bottle has to offer!.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back