Grado e Series
Aug 14, 2014 at 6:35 PM Post #1,474 of 6,729
Hey, how about those Grado 'e' series cans...

:D
Grado 'e' series cans? What did you say old sport?
Yes switching topics...

….

Look at that hot, hot, hot out-of-phase 30 Hz square wave. ooh baby, you give me chills just looking at you.

(from PS1000, probably my favourite headphone around)
I couldn't keep myself from laughing like a hyena when I saw this graph. I guess a post of any FR graph after the recent untidiness would have done the same.

Aug 14, 2014 at 6:57 PM Post #1,475 of 6,729
  Yes switching topics...

….

Look at that hot, hot, hot out-of-phase 30 Hz square wave. ooh baby, you give me chills just looking at you.

popcorn.gif

Aug 14, 2014 at 8:34 PM Post #1,476 of 6,729
I've been a lurker here for a while, but I've recently been considering upgrading (or probably supplementing if we're being honest) my current Grados—2009 Alessandro MS1s—and now I see there are more options than ever! I've read through most of this thread, but there are a couple of things I either didn't see mentioned or I missed: I know Alessandro is using the new e components, but I can't seem to find any information on whether the MS2 still comes with the 1/4 inch plug or if it's been switched over to the 1/8 inch like the 325e. The website still says 1/4", but that seems to contradict what I've read. Can anyone who has the new MS2s confirm one way or the other? It's not a deal breaker either way, but I'll probably be using these new phones exclusively at home with 1/4 jacks, and I definitely wouldn't mind one less adapter in the chain. One less thing to have to keep track of. I've had the MS1s for about eight months now and really love them, so my first inclination is to go for the MS2s, but I've also never owned a "standard" pair of Grados, and part of my urge to get a new set of cans is just to experiment with what kinds of sounds work best for me, so I'm also considering the 225es and the 325es. I own a pair of Beyer 770s (80 ohm) as well, and although they're great and super comfortable, I definitely prefer the sound of the Grados in general. Oh, and I've been using the MS1s with L pads after trying comfies, Ls, and Gs, for whatever that's worth. I'll mostly be listening either via my Little Dot MKII or my Marantz 2230. I'm not a basehead, so the 500s don't appeal to me as much as the others, and I don't think I'm ready to jump all the way up to the RS1s or 2s quite yet, so I think that really leaves me with those three options: MS2, 225e, and 325e. Right? Or one of the i versions of any of those, I guess, although I haven't really read anything so far that would make me want to seek out one of the older generation models. I think the MS2 and 325 look cooler, but that's a pretty minor factor. I know they're heavier, but apparently only about 0.068 kgs from the specs I've been able to hunt down, and I don't think that much of a difference would bother me much. Mostly, I just want to have fun listening to my music. I know it all comes down to personal preference, and I would definitely try them all out first if I could, but I don't know of anywhere nearby (Springfield, MO) that sells them. Does anyone have both the 2009 MS1s and any of those three new models I just listed? I'd love to hear any of your opinions.

Thanks for all the information you guys have provided so far in this thread. It really helps an obsessive data-gatherer like me make a more informed decision.

Aug 14, 2014 at 10:23 PM Post #1,477 of 6,729
I don't want to start a war here, keep in mind that sound preference is purely subjective, so take into account that each of the following has some wiggle room.

I specifically said I DON'T WANT TO START A WAR, and what do you guys do, YOU START A WAR, I went grocery shopping thinking that everything would be good in the sandbox, I come back, and the fit has hit the shan, I am not amused, sheesh!.

I just hope that you got it all out of your systems, and that we can go back to being the happy go lucky group that we were a few hours ago, LC, start a little camp fire, alright everyone, let's hold hads around the beautiful fire that LC made for us, OK! everyone, on 3, one, two,  three, Kumbaya my lord,  Kumbaya....La...La...La...,

Seriously though, I never leave the shelter of the Grado threads, need I say why?, anyway, respect is very important to me, and CanadianMaestro has recognized that he can be ''opinionated and abrasive), by the way exfoliation can do wonders for that abrasive thing.

I did learn a few things about CD players and DAC graphs not varying much from one another. I have nothing against graphs as I am sure that they can be useful, but in the end, it's all about total system synergy, and personnal préférences.

On deck tonight, my Yamaha DVD-S1800 , my vintage 1978 Yamaha CA-610II, the Little Dot 1+, my Grado Bushmills X, and Patricia Barber's Companion live SACD, I have great expectations, and I'm sure i won't be disapointed.

Happy listening!

Aug 14, 2014 at 10:32 PM Post #1,478 of 6,729
  I don't want to start a war here, keep in mind that sound preference is purely subjective, so take into account that each of the following has some wiggle room.

I specifically said I DON'T WANT TO START A WAR, and what do you guys do, YOU START A WAR, I went grocery shopping thinking that everything would be good in the sandbox, I come back, and the fit has hit the shan, I am not amused, sheesh!.

To be fair, it was pretty small scale.

Aug 14, 2014 at 10:55 PM Post #1,479 of 6,729
  I've been a lurker here for a while, but I've recently been considering upgrading (or probably supplementing if we're being honest) my current Grados—2009 Alessandro MS1s—and now I see there are more options than ever! I've read through most of this thread, but there are a couple of things I either didn't see mentioned or I missed: I know Alessandro is using the new e components, but I can't seem to find any information on whether the MS2 still comes with the 1/4 inch plug or if it's been switched over to the 1/8 inch like the 325e. The website still says 1/4", but that seems to contradict what I've read. Can anyone who has the new MS2s confirm one way or the other? It's not a deal breaker either way, but I'll probably be using these new phones exclusively at home with 1/4 jacks, and I definitely wouldn't mind one less adapter in the chain. One less thing to have to keep track of. I've had the MS1s for about eight months now and really love them, so my first inclination is to go for the MS2s, but I've also never owned a "standard" pair of Grados, and part of my urge to get a new set of cans is just to experiment with what kinds of sounds work best for me, so I'm also considering the 225es and the 325es. I own a pair of Beyer 770s (80 ohm) as well, and although they're great and super comfortable, I definitely prefer the sound of the Grados in general. Oh, and I've been using the MS1s with L pads after trying comfies, Ls, and Gs, for whatever that's worth. I'll mostly be listening either via my Little Dot MKII or my Marantz 2230. I'm not a basehead, so the 500s don't appeal to me as much as the others, and I don't think I'm ready to jump all the way up to the RS1s or 2s quite yet, so I think that really leaves me with those three options: MS2, 225e, and 325e. Right? Or one of the i versions of any of those, I guess, although I haven't really read anything so far that would make me want to seek out one of the older generation models. I think the MS2 and 325 look cooler, but that's a pretty minor factor. I know they're heavier, but apparently only about 0.068 kgs from the specs I've been able to hunt down, and I don't think that much of a difference would bother me much. Mostly, I just want to have fun listening to my music. I know it all comes down to personal preference, and I would definitely try them all out first if I could, but I don't know of anywhere nearby (Springfield, MO) that sells them. Does anyone have both the 2009 MS1s and any of those three new models I just listed? I'd love to hear any of your opinions.

Thanks for all the information you guys have provided so far in this thread. It really helps an obsessive data-gatherer like me make a more informed decision.

If you like the MS-1i, then you are almost certain to "love" the MS-2i (I have not yet heard the "e").  The 2i tames the strident treble of the 325is, up-on which it is based.

As of a week and a half ago Alessandro had some 2i's left at a discount price.  You can call or email them about it.

Aug 15, 2014 at 3:30 AM Post #1,480 of 6,729

Welcome to the forum!

I'm a happy MS1i owner, and I've tried a number of other Grados over the years: 225i, 325is, RS2, RS1i.

First of all, if you are used to the sound of the MS1i with L-cushions, don't expect a big change from the sound of any of the the Grados you are considering. There will be differences, but they are quite subtle and you have to listen out for them.  I was quite disappointed when I first tried the higher end Grados, as I'd read a lot of comparisons and was expecting to be 'blown away' by the differences ... I wasn't. I eventually traded up to the RS1i and, whilst I really liked them, I didn't think the difference was quite worth the money at the time (I need the money for something else, in other circumstances, I'd have kept them). I'd always kept the MS1i as my 'reserve set' and now I'm just left with them. In the end, I realised this confirmed just how good the MS1i is, especially for the money!

Secondly, the 325i / MS2i are actually quite a bit heavier than the MS1i - not just because of the metal cups, but also the cable, which is a lot thicker and tends to pull the headphones down a bit. It's not a problem for many people, but I personally found them too heavy for long-term listening. I'd personally say that the RS series are the most comfortable Grados I've tried. Ultra-light and they just seem to 'sit' better on my head.

I'm not trying to dissuade you from upgrading by the way, just offering an alternative viewpoint! For what it's worth, if I was in the market for a new Grado and wasn't on a budget I'd probably go for the 225e or the RS2e ..

Aug 15, 2014 at 5:38 AM Post #1,481 of 6,729
  Yes switching topics...

….

never mind 
tongue.gif

Aug 15, 2014 at 6:58 AM Post #1,483 of 6,729
graphs don't really apply to grado. they are ear tuned. either you hear like them and like what you hear or you don't. there is really no point in critiquing them. it is not a highly engineered headphone like the hd800. in which case you can look at graphs and all. it doesn't tell the whole story of grado. certainly not by the looks of it. still, people love them or hate them. I pick the ps1k over all the top headphones. of which I have most or have heard. that's just how my ears are tuned.not everyone's are.. that is fine. there is no reason to bash them though. like the 50mm driver ordeal. who cares. I like the way they sound if in fact they had a 5mm driver. they aren't for everyone. they are hooked up to equipment that costs many,many times their price. to me they are absolutely worthy of that as well. in fact some people may hate my whole chain. luckily for them they don't have to listen to it either. I don't mean to be a jerk. what I am saying is (gasp) audio reproduction is highly subjective. I read reviews but I decide by listening.

Aug 15, 2014 at 7:57 AM Post #1,484 of 6,729
Hi all.

This may be my 1st post. Always enjoy reading the forums. Thanks.

Probably too early - but any word on whether e series can be modded similarly to the i series. Does the new glue prevent heat separation of cups? Can the lower e series be "hole punched?"

I've got new PS500e, but no way I am trying to take them apart. After purchasing the 500, wife would never permit / forgive purchase of 60e to "play and fiddle."

Thanks

Gregg

Aug 15, 2014 at 8:33 AM Post #1,485 of 6,729
Hi all.

This may be my 1st post. Always enjoy reading the forums. Thanks.

Probably too early - but any word on whether e series can be modded similarly to the i series. Does the new glue prevent heat separation of cups? Can the lower e series be "hole punched?"

I've got new PS500e, but no way I am trying to take them apart. After purchasing the 500, wife would never permit / forgive purchase of 60e to "play and fiddle."

Thanks

Gregg

Well, Steve Guttenberg just did an article on cnet where he toured the Grado factory and there's a gallery supposedly showing how a Grado SR60e is made:

http://www.cnet.com/pictures/see-how-grado-headphones-are-made-in-brooklyn-pictures

If you look at these pictures:

http://www.cnet.com/pictures/see-how-grado-headphones-are-made-in-brooklyn-pictures/7/
http://www.cnet.com/pictures/see-how-grado-headphones-are-made-in-brooklyn-pictures/8/

it seems like there are 2 holes vented by default!

It's strange that the magent plate isn't painted red though ...

I'd be interested to hear from any e series owners if they can see if their drivers are also vented in this way ...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back