Grado e Series
Jul 27, 2014 at 5:53 PM Post #1,066 of 6,729
Man, if your rig can drive the he—400, it's probably great with the RS

Jul 27, 2014 at 5:56 PM Post #1,067 of 6,729
Welcome to Head-Fi
Congratulations on the RS1e!
If you are interested in listening to a good sounding/inexpensive hybrid tube amp, try the Little Dot 1+.
You can change the OP-amp/tubes to suite your sound preference. I also own the Schiit M/Modi for my desktop…but I've never heard any other Schiit amps, so I can't comment on them, but I've read nothing but good things about their other amps, and I do like the M/M combo. Enjoy!
  1. [img]http://www.head-fi.org/image/noimage/true/width/100/height/100/flags/LS[/img]
  1. crim gnarly
  2. badge_junior.v1474213761.png
  4. online
  1. 1 Post. Joined 6/2014

Hi, first time poster here : )

I recently purchased the RS1e and I love them. I think they may save my hearing because these things sound amazing at low volume, wish i discovered Grados earlier ; )

I am having a hard time on deciding what Amp to get.  I currently have the schiit stack, magni/modi that I use with my HE-400s.  The RS1e sounds great through them, would it be worth upgrading?  I like Schiit and would like to stick with them, what are your thoughts? 

I was thinking the Asgard would be a good amp because of the low gain switch, I am thinking that would work well with the RS1 because it does not require that much power to sound great.

I also heard the RA1 is great with the RS1 but i would like an all around amp to use with my HE-400 and if i decide to get something even better.

Next thing to look into would be a tube amp.  I have never listened to a tube amp before so I don't really know where to start.

Any thoughts, or is it too early to tell for the E series?

Also thanks for all the awesome advice, your posts have influenced all of my purchases and I could not be happier. This community seriously provides some priceless information.

Jul 27, 2014 at 9:45 PM Post #1,068 of 6,729
I know that this is not the amp thread, but since all my headphones are Grados, I figure that this is the best place for this, so, speaking of the LD 1+, I'd like to swap the stock tubes for someting different (better), but I'm kind of clusy, so I don't want to have to open it to play with the little switches, so I'd really appreciate it if you guys could suggest some tubes brands and model number. FYI, I mostly use my PS1000 with the LD 1+, but I also occasionally use my Busmills X with it too.

Oh!, and if you want to give a brief description of how they sound, go right ahead, the more information, the better. Thanks in advance.

Jul 28, 2014 at 12:29 AM Post #1,069 of 6,729
I know that this is not the amp thread, but since all my headphones are Grados, I figure that this is the best place for this, so, speaking of the LD 1+, I'd like to swap the stock tubes for someting different (better), but I'm kind of clusy, so I don't want to have to open it to play with the little switches, so I'd really appreciate it if you guys could suggest some tubes brands and model number. FYI, I mostly use my PS1000 with the LD 1+, but I also occasionally use my Busmills X with it too.

Oh!, and if you want to give a brief description of how they sound, go right ahead, the more information, the better. Thanks in advance.

I have had my new RS1i’s long enough now for them to be on the way to being broken in, so this evening I was swapping them with my old 60i’s, exchanging ear pads, and using/bypassing my little and very modestly priced tube amp, which should also be on its way to being broken/burnt in. The tube amp made a big difference, although I don’t know how to describe it except to say WAY BETTER!. It’s a Bravo Audio Ocean. Very simple, small, all sorts of connections on it, not difficult to swap out tubes. I got an allegedly better tube than the stock from tubedepot.com. Both are available via Amazon; it also doesn’t hurt to check eBay for the amp. The amp runs a bit hot, so I put felt feet on it to keep it off the finished desktop. Definitely value for money.

Jul 28, 2014 at 1:40 AM Post #1,070 of 6,729

Next thing to look into would be a tube amp.  I have never listened to a tube amp before so I don't really know where to start.

The Mapletree EAR+ HD has long been recommended as one of the best possible matches for the RS1.  I built mine years ago and have loved it ever since; it really explodes the soundstage, increases the detail, and expands the frequency range compared to listening without an amp...  There's something about it that just sounds "right" with Grados.

It's also pretty easy to build as far as tube amp kits go.  Way easier than my Bottlehead stuff....  If you're not handy with a soldering iron you can have one pre-built for a small extra charge.

Jul 28, 2014 at 5:47 AM Post #1,073 of 6,729

stacker, i would love to help you with this, but it has been so long since i used the LD 1+, that I just do not remember what tubes had for it, that sounded best.

Hopefully someone here can help.....if not. just ask the same question over in the LD tube rolling thread.....many people over there are very helpful.

The LD 1+ is a great amp for grados....especially considering the price.

The Mapletree EAR+ HD has long been recommended as one of the best possible matches for the RS1.  I built mine years ago and have loved it ever since; it really explodes the soundstage, increases the detail, and expands the frequency range compared to listening without an amp...  There's something about it that just sounds "right" with Grados.

It's also pretty easy to build as far as tube amp kits go.  Way easier than my Bottlehead stuff....  If you're not handy with a soldering iron you can have one pre-built for a small extra charge.

Unfortunately you can not just buy the kits anymore.....you have to have the good dr. build it for you....or find one 2nd hand.

They show up rarely in the b/s/t/ forums.....but every once in awhile you will see them there.

Jul 28, 2014 at 8:58 AM Post #1,074 of 6,729
I was just going to say that, i was interested in one but went with Bottlehead because i wanted a kit.   I don't really see any reason why it would be easier to build though, sure the S.E.X. circuit is a little more sophisticated but when your doing it step by step it really dosent make any difference, the instructions are there to guide you through the process.

Jul 28, 2014 at 11:48 AM Post #1,075 of 6,729
Thanks for the input on the 500 vs the 1i.

Now, of course, I'm intrigued by the 500 vs the 1e.

Check out the grado fan thread, but the 1e have some serious fit issues. Someone made a clever mod to address but still ended up returning bc of comfort.

I compared 1e, 1i, and 500e and for me the 500e came out on top with the 1i a close second (really more of a preference than anything specific).

Jul 28, 2014 at 2:29 PM Post #1,076 of 6,729
  I was just going to say that, i was interested in one but went with Bottlehead because i wanted a kit.   I don't really see any reason why it would be easier to build though, sure the S.E.X. circuit is a little more sophisticated but when your doing it step by step it really dosent make any difference, the instructions are there to guide you through the process.

I built a Seduction and then an Eros, which are mostly easy but have some nightmarish wiring on the tube sockets.

The mapletree was generally simpler with fewer components.  There are only a couple terminals with a handful of capacitors to wire, while the Bottlehead kits were nothing but terminals and capacitors all the way through.

I had fun building them all, though.  It's a shame Dr. Peppard doesn't sell kits anymore, but then again I suppose that helps avoid a lot of issues with users screwing things up. 

Jul 28, 2014 at 3:02 PM Post #1,077 of 6,729
I'm bummed. I bought the RS1e as unpgrade to my RS2 that I got three or four years back. I have really loved the RS2, mine is mellow with a very wide soundstage. I read the posts saying that the RS1e with the bigger drivers had a more immediate sound and smaller soundstage, but their soundstage seemed extremely small. Also, the larger drivers didn' t help anything and in fact seemed to project a more incoherent sound around my ear since the driver itself protruted farther past my ear. This big driver I think also contributed to treble on the harsher side. Finally, after a few days of use, the driver in my right cup started distorting somewhat around the edges of every sound.

This whole experience has scared me off from the RS1e's. The only Grados I don't have are the PS1000 and RS1e. I think I am going to put the money from the return into the PS1000e's.

Edit: I should add that I have the 225e and 500e and they are both great headphones, so I have nothing against the new e series per se.

Jul 28, 2014 at 3:07 PM Post #1,078 of 6,729
I'm bummed. I bought the RS1e as unpgrade to my RS2 that I got three or four years back. I have really loved the RS2, mine is mellow with a very wide soundstage. I read the posts saying that the RS1e with the bigger drivers had a more immediate sound and smaller soundstage, but their soundstage seemed extremely small. Also, the larger drivers didn' t help anything and in fact seemed to project a more incoherent sound around my ear since the driver itself protruted farther past my ear. This big driver I think also contributed to treble on the harsher side. Finally, after a few days of use, the driver in my right cup started distorting somewhat around the edges of every sound.

This whole experience has scared me off from the RS1e's. The only Grados I don't have are the PS1000 and RS1e. I think I am going to put the money from the return into the PS1000e's.

Edit: I should add that I have the 225e and 500e and they are both great headphones, so I have nothing against the new e series per se.

Well, 4 posts in 10 years, I think I might wait and audition the RS1e now before I buy them...

Jul 28, 2014 at 4:31 PM Post #1,080 of 6,729

Newer ain't always better. I hope your issue is model-specific or just bad luck. I am keeping all my i's and PS500. They'll only be more coveted with time, like old 450SL convertibles! Not convinced the e's are better -- 80e sounded identical to 80i, I found.  Surprised to read all the issues with fit and driver konk-outs on this thread. QC not quite up to par or something, at Grado.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back