Grado e Series
Jul 11, 2014 at 9:38 PM Post #842 of 6,729
I threw this out there the other day... The Old McDonald Grado... e? i? e? i?... oh!...

I saw that :D. I was thinking something short like two syllables...

Jul 11, 2014 at 9:48 PM Post #844 of 6,729
Jul 11, 2014 at 11:39 PM Post #847 of 6,729
Does anybody know if it's all late production ''i'' headphones models that can have the red driver, or if it's just one or two models?.

This reminds me of Joe's old SR200 I think it was, that had the ''spider'' drivers of the HP1000.

Jul 12, 2014 at 12:01 AM Post #848 of 6,729

Wondering why you're thinking that the differences between the RS1i and RS1e won't be as big
as the differences in the 225 series?

Because the size and shape of the driver housings were radically changed between the 225 and 225e and along with all the other e improvements, like the 8 conductor wiring and resonance damping foam, they're practically different models. 

The RS1i already had 8 conductor wiring, damping foam, and the exact same size/shape driver housing.  Aside from the driver upgrades, which are probably fairly substantial, it's really just the different wood curing and the little touches like rhodium that set the e series apart. 

If I had instead been comparing the 225i to the 225e, then it would have been a different story. 

Jul 12, 2014 at 12:21 AM Post #849 of 6,729
Thanks for that thorough and reasoned reply.

I remember (pretty well) going from the 225's to the 225i's
and being pleased and surprised at the changes.  A little less top,
a little more bottom, more 'fullness" all around.  I eventually sold
my 225i's, but missed their sound and bought them again.

Sold those because I just wasn't using them enough; was (am)
reaching for the RS1i's instead since I've bought those. 

Jul 12, 2014 at 1:25 AM Post #850 of 6,729
I guess both cases are valid and combination of G-Cush on the PS500 as well as more efficient drivers on the RS1 "Red" 
normal_smile .gif
 probably amplified the differences.  I guess time to swap back out the G-Cush for more a-b'ing!  I probably put about 5-7 hours on the RS1 "Red" now (my earlobes hurt) and it's definitely opening up and the musical airiness is much more detectable.  One thing I noticed is that it is much more unforgiving to bad / low quality recordings compared to the PS500 and noticeably easier to discern.

Oracle, yes those are chrome Grado PS500, sn #XX.  Here's another picture for clarification (kinda hesitant to post unrelated e-series pictures here).  Unfortunately, I dont think I'm ready to sell at the moment... still enjoying the sound too much 
beyersmile.png
.  Perhaps in the future!

Jul 12, 2014 at 3:03 AM Post #851 of 6,729
  I guess both cases are valid and combination of G-Cush on the PS500 as well as more efficient drivers on the RS1 "Red" 
normal_smile .gif
 probably amplified the differences.  I guess time to swap back out the G-Cush for more a-b'ing!  I probably put about 5-7 hours on the RS1 "Red" now (my earlobes hurt) and it's definitely opening up and the musical airiness is much more detectable.  One thing I noticed is that it is much more unforgiving to bad / low quality recordings compared to the PS500 and noticeably easier to discern.

Oracle, yes those are chrome Grado PS500, sn #XX.  Here's another picture for clarification (kinda hesitant to post unrelated e-series pictures here).  Unfortunately, I dont think I'm ready to sell at the moment... still enjoying the sound too much 
beyersmile.png
.  Perhaps in the future!

Grado made chrome 500s?? Very nice looking. 

Jul 12, 2014 at 7:05 AM Post #854 of 6,729
Got it! Grado red i's

Sounds good, to make it look cool in script, shall we call them the "Grado RedEyes" or just "RedEyes" for short?

Jul 12, 2014 at 8:18 AM Post #855 of 6,729
Sounds good, to make it look cool in script, shall we call them the "Grado RedEyes" or just "RedEyes" for short?

I'm glad you like the name. I'd probably just call it "Grado red eyes" or "red eyes" for short but I honestly like your proposal just as much. So long as we all know what it means. :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back