Grado e Series
Jul 10, 2014 at 11:03 PM Post #827 of 6,729
Oh nice, that should be informative and fun... Do you want me to guard your credit card? :wink:

I will keep my wallet in my apartment :p fortunately the shop is only a three minute walk from my place here in Montreal :)

Jul 10, 2014 at 11:10 PM Post #828 of 6,729
I got the 225e today and have just started listening.  I never heard the 225i, so I can't exactly say which generation changed what, but there's a very pronounced difference between the original and e series. 

The soundstage is definitely more similar to my RS1i's and has a similarly airy quality, but while keeping the 225's sound signature.  It really does sound exactly the way you'd expect the 225s to sound with a little of the RS1's more open soundstaging.  Obviously, this change came with the i series, but there's also a noticeable smoothness to the entire frequency range over the old 225s. 

Edit: forget everything about the bass.  My EQ was accidentally bumped up. 

The build quality is very tight and the headphones feel much better than the old models in that regard.  The cord is much thicker and shorter, pretty much the same length as the RS1i.  I wasn't entirely on board with the 1/8" jack, but the included gold 1/4" adapter looks so natural that you may not even know it's removable at a glance.  You could easily treat this as a 1/4" by just never removing it.

I'm already be able to say these are definitively better than the old 225's.  I never thought the RS1is were that much better than the 225s, but better enough to be worth having.   The e series improvements seem to have closed the gap to the point where I'm not sure I'd buy the RS1 over again.  The difference was much larger than I expected.   I really wonder if the RS1e's would be worth upgrading to as well, but I don't think the differences between the i and e models will be as major with that model...

Jul 10, 2014 at 11:23 PM Post #829 of 6,729
As far as my ears go, the SR225e is a pretty major improvement over the SR225 and SR225i. More controlled and fuller bass. Highs are not nearly as bright.
But personally I'm holding out for a pair of PS500e's and hopefully GS1000e's.

Jul 10, 2014 at 11:44 PM Post #830 of 6,729
  I got the 225e today and have just started listening.  I never heard the 225i, so I can't exactly say which generation changed what, but there's a very pronounced difference between the original and e series. 

The soundstage is definitely more similar to my RS1i's and has a similarly airy quality, but while keeping the 225's sound signature.  It really does sound exactly the way you'd expect the 225s to sound with a little of the RS1's more open soundstaging.  Obviously, this change came with the i series, but there's also a noticeable smoothness to the entire frequency range over the old 225s. 

Edit: forget everything about the bass.  My EQ was accidentally bumped up. 

The build quality is very tight and the headphones feel much better than the old models in that regard.  The cord is much thicker and shorter, pretty much the same length as the RS1i.  I wasn't entirely on board with the 1/8" jack, but the included gold 1/4" adapter looks so natural that you may not even know it's removable at a glance.  You could easily treat this as a 1/4" by just never removing it.

I'm already be able to say these are definitively better than the old 225's.  I never thought the RS1is were that much better than the 225s, but better enough to be worth having.   The e series improvements seem to have closed the gap to the point where I'm not sure I'd buy the RS1 over again.  The difference was much larger than I expected.   I really wonder if the RS1e's would be worth upgrading to as well, but I don't think the differences between the i and e models will be as major with that model...

Wondering why you're thinking that the differences between the RS1i and RS1e won't be as big
as the differences in the 225 series?

Jul 11, 2014 at 4:17 AM Post #831 of 6,729

Wondering why you're thinking that the differences between the RS1i and RS1e won't be as big
as the differences in the 225 series?

My impression is from 325 (maybe 225) and up, the sound quality is similar and they only differ on tuning. Take the bass for example, as you go to the higher models the bass is bumped by 1 to 3 db.

Jul 11, 2014 at 7:46 AM Post #832 of 6,729
Anyone here going to order the ms2e's? I'm considering ordering those since I've always wanted to own ms2s. I've recently heard the ms1es and they sound much flatter and neutral (at first it almost seemed lifeless) then I remember when comparing to my ms1s.My sr-225s had better detail and bass but the highs at time were a little too bright. After listening to the ms1es again I kind of seemed to enjoy the laid back sound. However, the 225s did still have better detail retrieval, bass impact, and overall energy and punch. Wondering how the Ms2es would fare against all three.

Jul 11, 2014 at 9:24 AM Post #833 of 6,729
I will keep my wallet in my apartment
tongue.gif
fortunately the shop is only a three minute walk from my place here in Montreal
smily_headphones1.gif

That sounds like a blessing and a curse... :)

Jul 11, 2014 at 4:35 PM Post #834 of 6,729
I recently acquired a pair of Grado RS1i's with the new RS1e red drivers sold by the previous owner who put barely 5 hours on the cans and decided to want to switch to IEMs.  Apparently he bought these headphones approximately 5 months ago (~Feb), so these may have been very early RS1e drivers.

Perusing the PS500 forum, some people mentioned that the PS500 with PS500e drivers came with the cable with the 1/8" jack.  Interestingly enough, my RS1i/e was wired with the 1/4" jack.  I suspect that the mahogany type changed--the wood is grainier and lighter in color than other RS1i's I have previously seen.  The driver on the backside is protruded and also measures 50mm at the plastic ring.

In terms of sound with the new driver compared to the PS500, it almost seems like night and day.  The PS500 is much more laid back and has a more airy feel.  The soundstage for the RS1i/e is upfront and in your ear.  Initially, the sound is noticably thicker and almost feels 'muffled'/darker when A-B'ing against the PS500, but maybe that is a byproduct of not enough burn-in time. Resolution and bass between both headphones feel on-par, just that presentation is very different.  I brought the RS1i/e to work today and am getting progressively addicted to its presentation!

One interesting thing to note is that the RS1i/e appears much easier to drive vs the PS500.  I am not sure if this is a result of the drivers being closer to the ear, but with both headphones connected to the two 1/4" headphone jacks on the Benchmark 1 DAC, I had to crank the volume down a few notches when listening to the RS1i/e to have it at the same perceived audible level as I had on the PS500.

Jul 11, 2014 at 5:36 PM Post #835 of 6,729
Looks like you’re running the PS500 with G-cush pads, if I’m seeing the picture correctly. that would account for the necessary volume changes (plus the extent of how airy the PS500 sound). try both with L cush and the PS500 may actually need less power than the RS1.

Jul 11, 2014 at 6:15 PM Post #836 of 6,729
Looks like you’re running the PS500 with G-cush pads, if I’m seeing the picture correctly. that would account for the necessary volume changes (plus the extent of how airy the PS500 sound). try both with L cush and the PS500 may actually need less power than the RS1.
That's what I was thinking. I've been running my RS1i's with G-cushions. You need a little more juice when using the G's.

Jul 11, 2014 at 6:19 PM Post #837 of 6,729

I recently acquired a pair of Grado RS1i's with the new RS1e red drivers sold by the previous owner who put barely 5 hours on the cans and decided to want to switch to IEMs.  Apparently he bought these headphones approximately 5 months ago (~Feb), so these may have been very early RS1e drivers.

Perusing the PS500 forum, some people mentioned that the PS500 with PS500e drivers came with the cable with the 1/8" jack.  Interestingly enough, my RS1i/e was wired with the 1/4" jack.  I suspect that the mahogany type changed--the wood is grainier and lighter in color than other RS1i's I have previously seen.  The driver on the backside is protruded and also measures 50mm at the plastic ring.

In terms of sound with the new driver compared to the PS500, it almost seems like night and day.  The PS500 is much more laid back and has a more airy feel.  The soundstage for the RS1i/e is upfront and in your ear.  Initially, the sound is noticably thicker and almost feels 'muffled'/darker when A-B'ing against the PS500, but maybe that is a byproduct of not enough burn-in time. Resolution and bass between both headphones feel on-par, just that presentation is very different.  I brought the RS1i/e to work today and am getting progressively addicted to its presentation!

One interesting thing to note is that the RS1i/e appears much easier to drive vs the PS500.  I am not sure if this is a result of the drivers being closer to the ear, but with both headphones connected to the two 1/4" headphone jacks on the Benchmark 1 DAC, I had to crank the volume down a few notches when listening to the RS1i/e to have it at the same perceived audible level as I had on the PS500.
The RS1e is easier to drive do to their improved "efficiency" as described on the Grado website.  I also have the RS1e and PS500 both with the L pads and when comparing I always have to turn the volume down when going from the PS500 to the RS1e.  hfhimeka, are those chromed versions of the PS500?  If so how much do you want for them 
beyersmile.png

Jul 11, 2014 at 9:15 PM Post #838 of 6,729
I propose we come up with a nickname for non-marked e series Grado headphones. Any suggestions?

Jul 11, 2014 at 9:20 PM Post #839 of 6,729

The RS1e is easier to drive do to their improved "efficiency" as described on the Grado website.  I also have the RS1e and PS500 both with the L pads and when comparing I always have to turn the volume down when going from the PS500 to the RS1e.  hfhimeka, are those chromed versions of the PS500?  If so how much do you want for them 
beyersmile.png

Those do look like chrome.....I have never seen a chrome PS500...always the matte finish

Jul 11, 2014 at 9:25 PM Post #840 of 6,729
   Those do look like chrome.....I have never seen a chrome PS500...always the matte finish

True! Looks pretty good. Though I find shiny headphones a bit tacky (just my opinion...)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back