Grado e Series
Jul 8, 2014 at 4:11 AM Post #781 of 6,729
I've posted this in the Grado thread before, but the synergy that exists between the Kindle Fire tablets (HDX currently) and the Grados continues to impress me. I hope the 'e' series takes to an even higher level. 

I really don't know what it is....the Grados seem to really like the burr brown DACs or something, cause the PS500s with my Fire HDX is really an enjoyable pairing. 

I listen through my HDX sometimes. Spotify and YouTube. Do you EQ? If so, what program(s) do you use?

I've been trying Equalizer for Spotify and while the program itself is well done, it seems the EQ is flawed. I'm also trying Equalizer FX which seems to EQ better but isn't quite as slick a program. I don't EQ heavily, just a bump here and there.

Jul 8, 2014 at 8:25 AM Post #782 of 6,729
I listen through my HDX sometimes. Spotlight and YouTube. Do you EQ? If so, what program(s) do you use?

I've been trying Equalizer for Spotify and while the program itself is well done, it seems the EQ is flawed. I'm also trying Equalizer FX which seems to EQ better but isn't quite as slick a program. I don't EQ heavily, just a bump here and there.

I don't EQ, but I did just pre-order the new ZO from Digizoid (digizoid.com) called the ZOfs. I bought the ZO2 a while back, which allows for contouring of the bass, but the new one will allow for contouring of the lows and highs. I expect it will be a lot of fun to play around with...that's about as close as I get to EQ'ing. I think I'm one of the weirdos who just doesn't prefer to utilize it. 

About a year ago I was shocked to find that every CD I ever bought from Amazon over the years had been automatically added to my Amazon Cloud Library. It was probably about half my overall music collection, or about 3400 songs. They also just came out with their own music service, which is included for Prime members, so I've been using the Cloud player on the HDX more than ever. 

Like you, I also use it quite a lot for youtube and really enjoy it. Movies are also especially fun...I just don't know what it is, but I love the way the Grados sound directly out of it. 

Jul 8, 2014 at 10:21 AM Post #783 of 6,729
Check the backs of the drivers on your 500s. If they are red you already have all the E technology.

I wonder if the "i-series (actually e-series) cusp models" will earn a nickname...

I'll suggest the Old McDonald Grado (e?i?e?i?...oh!!)...
orangesmile.gif

Jul 8, 2014 at 2:21 PM Post #785 of 6,729
My friend has the "unmarked" e - series SR225's

Jul 8, 2014 at 2:28 PM Post #786 of 6,729
My friend has the "unmarked" e - series SR225's

Nice. I was checking out a pair of new RS2is, I saw some red in the chamber and was like :O! Then realized soon after it was just the red wire...

Jul 8, 2014 at 3:14 PM Post #787 of 6,729
I don't EQ, but I did just pre-order the new ZO from Digizoid (digizoid.com) called the ZOfs. I bought the ZO2 a while back, which allows for contouring of the bass, but the new one will allow for contouring of the lows and highs. I expect it will be a lot of fun to play around with...that's about as close as I get to EQ'ing. I think I'm one of the weirdos who just doesn't prefer to utilize it. 

About a year ago I was shocked to find that every CD I ever bought from Amazon over the years had been automatically added to my Amazon Cloud Library. It was probably about half my overall music collection, or about 3400 songs. They also just came out with their own music service, which is included for Prime members, so I've been using the Cloud player on the HDX more than ever. 

Like you, I also use it quite a lot for youtube and really enjoy it. Movies are also especially fun...I just don't know what it is, but I love the way the Grados sound directly out of it. 

An interesting device. Reminds me a little if the Fiio E07K only without a DAC. And the ZOfs has much finer resolution and much higher quality circuitry and components. Now that you'll be adjusting both treble and bass, you're basically EQing. :wink:

I was pleasantly surprised the first time I plugged Grados into my HDX. I listen to it about as much as my dedicated audio player. Definitely an unexpected bonus considering I bought the HDX solely for web surfing and a few games and apps.

Jul 8, 2014 at 6:15 PM Post #789 of 6,729
An interesting device. Reminds me a little if the Fiio E07K only without a DAC. And the ZOfs has much finer resolution and much higher quality circuitry and components. Now that you'll be adjusting both treble and bass, you're basically EQing.
wink.gif

I was pleasantly surprised the first time I plugged Grados into my HDX. I listen to it about as much as my dedicated audio player. Definitely an unexpected bonus considering I bought the HDX solely for web surfing and a few games and apps.

Yeah supposedly they are using some high grade stuff in this thing...I can't wait to fire it up. The ZO2 is really impressive with my portable Beyer 1350s, so I'm looking forward to using the new one with the Grados and Audeze. One of the beta testers said they really loved the way it paired with the LCD-X. 

I agree, I bought the HDX for surfing and movies, so having such a convenient and great sounding music experience is icing on the cake. 

Jul 9, 2014 at 3:40 AM Post #791 of 6,729
Well, so the RS1e's showed up yesterday

Upon opening the box, I'm sorry to say I was initially a bit underwhelmed by their appearance.
Specifically, the earcups and the printing on them - seems to have been done in a hurry.

I don't care that much, but still for the money you expect the goods.

After a minute or two - time to put them on and do some preliminary listening.
A noticeably tighter fit than my RS1i's; not as comfortable.
I'll have to 'adjust' the headband.

And what's with the cushions?  I guess it's in this thread somewhere,
sorry if I missed it.  But out out of the box they're very flat so the
drivers were amost resting on my ears.  In other words, the bowls
are very shallow.

I just want to note that I really enjoy the RS1i's, they're probably my top headphone currently.
So fairly or not, I'm looking forward to the 1e's to be better.  But if they're not, that's OK too -
there are plenty of headphones out there.

Quick cut to the chase > the drivers are too close to my ears with these earcups.
The box was warm, BTW - a hot day in NYC, and I thought maybe they should
cool down somewhat before listening.  So I let them sit in the air conditioning
for several hours.  Later today, I'll give it another go.

Any thoughts on these "flattened" ear cushions would be appreciated,
or any link to discussions about it.

Cheers.

Jul 9, 2014 at 4:11 AM Post #792 of 6,729
Upon opening the box, I'm sorry to say I was initially a bit underwhelmed by their appearance.
Specifically, the earcups and the printing on them - seems to have been done in a hurry.

are very shallow.

I just want to note that I really enjoy the RS1i's, they're probably my top headphone currently.
So fairly or not, I'm looking forward to the 1e's to be better.  But if they're not, that's OK too -

Quick cut to the chase > the drivers are too close to my ears with these earcups.

Cheers.

Did you try and use the old cushion with the RS1e? The bowl pads that comes with your RS1e could have been squeezed in tight while in the box that make them look flat.

Jul 9, 2014 at 5:55 AM Post #793 of 6,729
Did you try and use the old cushion with the RS1e? The bowl pads that comes with your RS1e could have been squeezed in tight while in the box that make them look flat.

Thanks for the input; I'm going to look at them now...if the cushions are still "flat", I'll take the ones from my RS1i's and give the 1e's a proper listen.

Jul 9, 2014 at 6:20 AM Post #794 of 6,729

are very shallow.

Cheers.

The headband can easily be adjusted...like all Grado's. it is spring steel....so some small adjustment each time you put it on, by grabbing up toward the middle of the head band and bending out some....not much....after a few times it should be just fine  
smile.gif

Jul 9, 2014 at 8:55 PM Post #795 of 6,729
  The headband can easily be adjusted...like all Grado's. it is spring steel....so some small adjustment each time you put it on, by grabbing up toward the middle of the head band and bending out some....not much....after a few times it should be just fine  
smile.gif

Yeah, as a long time Grado fan I knew how to adjust the headband,
but I appreciate the reply on that.

Anyway, I think these will be going back.
Overall, I like my RS1i's more.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back