Grado e Series
Jul 1, 2014 at 10:36 PM Post #601 of 6,729
I have to say M.H, the more I read your posts, the more intrigued I am by the new e serie.

I'm no expert, but I guess that if the excursion is the same, the size difference would explain the deeper bass, the trade off might be a loss of speed due to increased mass, that's assuming that both drivers are maid of the same materials.

Please don't hesitate to tell me if you think that I'm not making any sense, I won't be offended, I'll just blame it on the pain killers, damn Crohn's desiese!.

Jul 1, 2014 at 10:41 PM Post #602 of 6,729
  I have to say M.H, the more I read your posts, the more intrigued I am by the new e serie.

I'm no expert, but I guess that if the excursion is the same, the size difference would explain the deeper bass, the trade off might be a loss of speed due to increased mass, that's assuming that both drivers are maid of the same materials.

Please don't hesitate to tell me if you think that I'm not making any sense, I won't be offended, I'll just blame it on the pain killers, damn Crohn's desiese!.

Ouch...my wife's uncle has Crohn's...I feel for you! Hopefully things subside soon. 
redface.gif

With regards to speed, the PS1000e's still have that Grado attack and speed...no doubt about it, or I'd have kept the originals. 

Jul 2, 2014 at 1:40 AM Post #603 of 6,729
When I tried out the various Grado headphones last week, I noticed a definite difference between the 60i and 80i—greater than between more expensive models, I think. I would describe the 80i sound as fuller and deeper, not “bright.” It seemed to me that the notable differences were among the plastic, aluminium, and mahogany bodies. The aluminium ones seemed to produce a sharper, more exact sound, which I suppose is what people mean by “bright.” If you like the 60’s, there is no reason to think you won’t like the 80’s.

BTW, I recall reading a suggestion that one fasten a black cable tie over the cables just outside the ear cups, to prevent pushing in on the connectors. Having read your post, I think I will probably do that.

do you mind telling me a little bit more on that...?

i have bowl pads. i like comfy pads wayyy better not for the sound, but for comfort. it's extremely more comfortable for 10 12 hours listening sessions...

what's wrong with sr80i with its stock comfy pads...? compare to the sr60i on your experience...?

Like Hadrosaur said above, The 80 is bassier and less bright which to me makes them a little dull and muffled when using the stock comfy pads. The sr60i just matches better with the stock pads for me. But when used with bowls, the sr60i becomes a little too thin and bright making the 80i the better headphone using those pads... So in the end, if comfies (S-Cush pads) are all you are going to use then I see no reason to go for the 80i unless you want a more muffled sound or mod the pads.

Jul 2, 2014 at 2:15 AM Post #605 of 6,729
Well after spending time with my PS500es, I think i'm in love.  I didn't think there was a headphone that was better than the GS1000i in the lineup.  

This is a headphone that really challenges the HD800 when it comes to instrumental reproduction and realism.  What hit me was that for the first time, clapping in music actually sounded like people clapping, and not a special effect.  

One thing though, and I wonder if other Grado owners have this problem, but there's something that looks like dirt around the lettering on the cups.  I don't know if it's just from the printing process, but it makes my brand new headphones look old.  Not a good way to get off on the right foot with me, Grado.

Jul 2, 2014 at 2:21 AM Post #606 of 6,729
  Well after spending time with my PS500es, I think i'm in love.  I didn't think there was a headphone that was better than the GS1000i in the lineup.  

This is a headphone that really challenges the HD800 when it comes to instrumental reproduction and realism.  What hit me was that for the first time, clapping in music actually sounded like people clapping, and not a special effect.  

One thing though, and I wonder if other Grado owners have this problem, but there's something that looks like dirt around the lettering on the cups.  I don't know if it's just from the printing process, but it makes my brand new headphones look old.  Not a good way to get off on the right foot with me, Grado.

The 500s are my favorite, too...I can't wait to give the "e" version a listen. 

Jul 2, 2014 at 2:55 AM Post #607 of 6,729

Did you get the chance to compare PS500 i and e versions? I only tried the i version, It has the best bass among grado's I tried. However, it is a completely different phone, far from the regular Grado signature sound. I feel like getting the PS500 does not make sense because I already have the Beyerdynamic T1. It may not match the Grado treble in terms of sparkle and detail but is far better with bass reproduction than any Grado. The PS500's treble is somewhat similar to T1 but the bass is far from the level where T1 is.

Jul 2, 2014 at 4:12 PM Post #608 of 6,729
The packaging is definitely different, although I can't really tell much of a sonic difference. I A/B tested the rs1i and the rs1e blind, and I thought the rs1e is more or less the same. There's really nothing new here, just a marketing ploy to get people who have never bought a grado or were on the fence to take the leap. The same deal happened with the "i" models. Blind A/B testing showed little to no difference, even at the top of the range models.

People just want what's new and automatically assume its better. Car companies do it all the time.

Jul 2, 2014 at 4:58 PM Post #610 of 6,729
I am afraid there is some truth in there and as far as the top range, how much better can an already exellent headphone get ?

Based on what I've read, I think the PS500 may be the only truly different sounding grado. Every other grado is described as being bright, forward, detailed with a small soundstage.

There are certainly differences as a result of the type of foam cover used, but beyond that, it's very difficult to get reliable reports on differences in sound signature between models.

Jul 2, 2014 at 6:45 PM Post #612 of 6,729
I think we are all eagerly/impatiently awaiting early reviews, but it seems as though reviews are several weeks off, as the ttvj loaner program has been delayed, and perhaps grado has not been quick to send out many test samples.

On the other hand, there should be an ample supply of e series users already due to steady sales over the past few months prior to the official announcement.

All I can discern right now is that the few who have listened to e series models are having trouble detecting any significant or even noticeable differences from the i series. If that's the case, perhaps I should pick up an i series on discount instead of waiting for e series reviews?

Jul 2, 2014 at 6:47 PM Post #613 of 6,729
I got notification that the GS1K e's have been shipped to me for review.  Hopefully hurricane Arthur won't screw with my chance to listen to them too much...

Jul 2, 2014 at 6:50 PM Post #614 of 6,729
I am afraid there is some truth in there and as far as the top range, how much better can an already exellent headphone get ?
IMO I don't think Grado would've ostensibly upgraded its line, specifically the RS1, GS1K, and PS1K unless the construction change justified the manufacturing costs incurred. Of course only my two cents.

Jul 2, 2014 at 6:59 PM Post #615 of 6,729
I got notification that the GS1K e's have been shipped to me for review.  Hopefully hurricane Arthur won't screw with my chance to listen to them too much...
By anybody's stretch of their imagination the GS1k's are an impressive set of cans. Especially at 15% off the list for the "I" series. They're my favourite Grado, just couldn't go there with the gf by my side at purchase time. Nevertheless, I am really happy with my RS1i's! They're an industry standard and a very cool hp to wear for hours, and listen to any genre.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back