Grado e Series
Jun 19, 2014 at 5:11 PM Post #136 of 6,729
I did a quick search for the SR60i for purchase, and discovered that the i is being phased out in favor of the e.

This is completely speculative, but I suspect that the new revision may be slightly mellower, perhaps a half step towards neutral compared to the i, in the same way that the i was a slightly more refined, slightly more neutral version of the non i.

Really looking forward to listening impressions of the SR60e vs SR60i as the reviews trickle in.

Jun 19, 2014 at 5:34 PM Post #137 of 6,729
More refined is the best summation of the comparison of my new.
SR60e compared to my fully broken in SR60i. I will be buying a PS500e in the next few weeks and expect similar improvements . All i model product shipped from Grado in the last couple of months has in actuality been the new e series even though they were not marked as such, a wonderful approach to new product release. Happy buyers getting the improved series without really knowing it.

Jun 19, 2014 at 5:47 PM Post #138 of 6,729

SR60e compared to my fully broken in SR60i. I will be buying a PS500e in the next few weeks and expect similar improvements . All i model product shipped from Grado in the last couple of months has in actuality been the new e series even though they were not marked as such, a wonderful approach to new product release. Happy buyers getting the improved series without really knowing it.

Very informative post.

When you say more refined, I'm thinking the e is a little less harsh and therefore closer to neutral? Is that accurate?

Also, if the 60e has been rolling out for a couple of months now, there should be plenty of people who can opine. :)

Jun 19, 2014 at 6:33 PM Post #139 of 6,729
All i model product shipped from Grado in the last couple of months has in actuality been the new e series even though they were not marked as such, a wonderful approach to new product release. Happy buyers getting the improved series without really knowing it.

That's not a favor. People generally want to get what they order, not a different model. It's also going to confuse the FS board.

Jun 19, 2014 at 6:34 PM Post #140 of 6,729

Very informative post.

When you say more refined, I'm thinking the e is a little less harsh and therefore closer to neutral? Is that accurate?

Also, if the 60e has been rolling out for a couple of months now, there should be plenty of people who can opine.
smily_headphones1.gif

I wonder how many people owned an (i) model of the same headphone…and got an (e) model to replace them for what ever reason, and didn't/couldn't tell the difference until they were told they have an (e) model. Speaking about the earlier (e) models of course, without an (e) on them.

Jun 19, 2014 at 6:38 PM Post #141 of 6,729
Definitely not harsh, took the 60's up a couple more notches in value and ability to compete above it's price range eve more than before. Yup, there are some new owners who may not be aware. The new smaller box is one indicator that the phone is an e in i disquise. As before they do benefit from break in but are better out of the box. :cool:

Jun 19, 2014 at 8:27 PM Post #143 of 6,729
I wonder how many people owned an (i) model of the same headphone…and got an (e) model to replace them for what ever reason, and didn't/couldn't tell the difference until they were told they have an (e) model. Speaking about the earlier (e) models of course, without an (e) on them.

Once the announcement was made about the new e series so was the information given that the phones shipping previously with the new smaller box were e's. Given that no one should have gotten stuck with buying new e marked phones when they just got i's in the new box. Could make i marked e's a commodity, the box and the sound would prove authenticity. As for me, if I just bought a phone to then find out it was being replaced with a new model very soon after I would be disappointed. Two trains of thought obviously but my humble opinion likes the approach, eye of the beholder and each of us addicted head fi members will have judge for themselves. You can't please all of the people all of the time. I do know the recepients of those e models in i disguise that I was in touch with were all very happy.

Will let you know what I think when I get the PS500e after having owned a PS500 from when they were first introduced.

:rolleyes:

Jun 19, 2014 at 8:33 PM Post #144 of 6,729
  The SR225e is sounding more dynamic than the earlier model. I'm not sure it's for the better yet though. I took delivery of them today.
[size=small]I've got less than 5 hours on them so far and yet they sound light years above the burned-in MS1i's I just sold. [/size]

[size=small]I'm hoping the highs will subside soon and the low end will show up to the party. Considering the paradigm that the 325is went through I have full confidence that Grado has done well with the 'enhancement' of the entire line. [/size]

In what way do they sound "light years ahead" of the MS1i? Sounds a little extreme to me.

Jun 19, 2014 at 8:34 PM Post #145 of 6,729
Once the announcement was made about the new e series so was the information given that the phones shipping previously with the new smaller box were e's. Given that no one should hsve gotten stuck with buying new e marked phones when they just got i's in the new box. Could make i marked e's a commodity, the box and the sound would prove authenticity. As for me, if I just bought a phone to then soon find out it was being replaced with a new model I very soon after would be disappointed. Two sides obviously but my humble opinion likes the approach, eye of the beholder and each of us addicted head fi members will have judge for themselves. You can't please all of the people all of the time. I do know the recepients of those e models in i disguise were all very happy.

Will let you know what I think when I get the PS500e aafter having owned a PS500 from when they were first introduced.

rolleyes.gif

Agreed! It could go either way depending on the individual.
Like to hear if you do hear any differences, and how significant they are
beerchug.gif

Jun 19, 2014 at 8:39 PM Post #146 of 6,729
I contacted my local Grado distributor and told me they started shipping the e series to retailers but won't be appearing on the shelf until July. This is to give retailers time to clear the old i series which is currently on a 15% discount.

However, I managed to order a 325e as a pre-order from a retailer and upon contacting the distributor agreed to ship it to me by tomorrow instead of waiting until July.

Jun 19, 2014 at 8:55 PM Post #147 of 6,729
  I contacted my local Grado distributor and told me they started shipping the e series to retailers but won't be appearing on the shelf until July. This is to give retailers time to clear the old i series which is currently on a 15% discount.

However, I managed to order a 325e as a pre-order from a retailer and upon contacting the distributor agreed to ship it to me by tomorrow instead of waiting until July.

I made a pre-order yesterday and was told it'd arrive sometime in July.

Jun 19, 2014 at 10:15 PM Post #148 of 6,729
my old sr-60 are pretty neutral
my 1 year old rs2i are bright in comparison
not sure why they would make the sr60e more neutral if they already were or did they get mellower after a 10 year burn...
i do know the pads gets mellower thats for sure

Jun 19, 2014 at 10:30 PM Post #149 of 6,729
The new smaller box is one indicator that the phone is an e in i disquise. As before they do benefit from break in but are better out of the box. :cool:

I'm not so sure... I went to a local Grado dealer yesterday and took a look at the SR60i they had in stock... New, smaller box but the drivers were silver. If they were the e model, the drivers would be the red ones, correct?

So, it seems there are "I" models in the new packaging, and "e" models in new packaging but marked as "I" models. As was mentioned earlier, these transitional models will be confusing on the used market.

Jun 19, 2014 at 11:05 PM Post #150 of 6,729
I'm not so sure... I went to a local Grado dealer yesterday and took a look at the SR60i they had in stock... New, smaller box but the drivers were silver. If they were the e model, the drivers would be the red ones, correct?

So, it seems there are "I" models in the new packaging, and "e" models in new packaging but marked as "I" models. As was mentioned earlier, these transitional models will be confusing on the used market.

I think you are right. When I emailed Grado to ask about my SR125, I told them that they came in the new box and have a 3.5mm plug, and they still asked about the color of the magnet cap. They probably have sold some "i" headphones in the new box, or maybe even some SR125i headphones with a silver magnet cap and a 3.5mm end. My guess is they applied some of the updates incrementally, and finally renamed them to "e" shortly after all the new changes were being applied.

I have not compared my headphones to the old "i" version, but it seems that all the changes are meant to be improvements, so I doubt many would be upset about receiving any "e" series updates on their "i" labeled headphones. I am personally very happy with mine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back