Grado e Series
Jun 14, 2014 at 12:18 AM Post #46 of 6,729
  im really interested in the change from a 40mm driver in the rs1 and rs1i to a 50mm driver in the rs1e

i just bought a pair of MS-Pro E in Thailand.
i have to say they are very different from the old version in many ways.

1.the mids is very forward.  it is even more forward than my Rs1i.
2.the bass is not tighter then , the magic of grado 's signature speedy bass seems disappear. it has gone, just dosen't exist at all.
3.the image of sound become larger nearer, soundstage become smaller.

don't expect improvement.
they are another phones.

don't sell your old mspro. they will become expensive in future.

owning Rs1e and old mspro might be a good choice.

There's that description again for the umpteenth time.  It couldn't be easier to not let yourself be fooled by bass roll-off as equating "speed".  I suppose that means that bass extension has improved then?

I haven't heard a "speedy" Grado yet, I've heard all of the SR series and RS1, they're closer to HD6x0 in terms of "speed" in any sense.  HFI2400, HD25-1, A2000X, many IEMs, HD380 & HD360, some vintage orthos, and SA3000/5000 will teach you what "speedy bass" truly sounds like (and those are just the ones I'm familiar with - there's even more).

Jun 14, 2014 at 12:28 AM Post #47 of 6,729
About the speed I mean the bass punching speed. amount is not large, but attack quickly, reach the deepest and return quickly too. 
this is what i can feel from my Rs1i or Ps1000, Gs1000i. even when they were just right out of the box.
The new Mspro has its own emphasis, which is not at this speed, but in the mids, which is very different from the balancing old version.
the new sound is beautiful too.
But don't expect they are the same phones.

It is just my impression(Not conlusion)
Conclusion will appear by time.

Jun 14, 2014 at 2:31 AM Post #48 of 6,729
I'm interested to see if the GS1000s have been improved upon. The most comfortable of Grados but couldn't stand the sibilance. 
Hopefully someone will post some impressions..

Jun 14, 2014 at 4:46 AM Post #50 of 6,729
Everybody tripping on any headphone, including Grado, that has too much sibilance, lack of this, lack of that, there is a very easy remedy.

Get yourself a real nice car audio EQ with a comparable power supply, not the ******** software that's available out there, and your sibililance, lack of bass, weak mids, blasting highs, etc. will vanish with the twist of an analog knob.

True, it won't transform a SR60 into a RS1 but it'll damn near come close.

Jun 14, 2014 at 4:52 AM Post #51 of 6,729
  on the rs1e page:

The new RS1e from Grado uses a different species of handcrafted mahogany from our previous models. The earpieces utilize an intricate curing process that optimizes the tonal quality while giving them a new look. The RS1e places a 50mm dynamic transducer and an 8 conductor cable design in an open-air configuration. The result is a smooth, controlled, and coherent sound with detailed dynamics. Frequency response ranges from 12-30 kHz and the drivers are matched to 0.05dB. Weighing 9oz, the headphones are an example of the wonders of Mother Nature with a gorgeous light mahogany look. The RS1e is a masterpiece in the Grado collection.

Yeah...no way I'm letting my RS1i's go without listening to the RS1e's at home for a good few weeks, at least.
(Though I have a sense that Grado wouldn't make this move without being pretty sure of themselves...)

Jun 14, 2014 at 5:13 AM Post #52 of 6,729
^ totally get that coz they're awesome cans. curious about how the bigger driver will change the sound.

Jun 14, 2014 at 8:12 AM Post #53 of 6,729
woah didn't even realize these were out!! so...what're the major differences??

Jun 14, 2014 at 11:00 AM Post #55 of 6,729
Everybody tripping on any headphone, including Grado, that has too much sibilance, lack of this, lack of that, there is a very easy remedy.

Get yourself a real nice car audio EQ with a comparable power supply, not the ******** software that's available out there, and your sibililance, lack of bass, weak mids, blasting highs, etc. will vanish with the twist of an analog knob.

True, it won't transform a SR60 into a RS1 but it'll damn near come close.

Very true. I know it makes most everyone here cringe to think that I like eq but to my ears I wouldn't have it any other way. I like to bump the lowest and highest frequencies to bring out the detail and definition.

Best way that works for me is to start plain and boost it very slightly until it sounds too much and save that setting. Then I go back and start turning them down again to see if it effects the sound too much from what I like.

Jun 14, 2014 at 12:51 PM Post #56 of 6,729
I sent an email to grad lab about the gs1000i.
and here is the answer.

the GS1000e has one of our new transducer.
This transducer is more sensitive.
The magnetic structure reduces distortion to astounding low levels.
The result is that low level information retrieval has improved
dynamic range gas improved
and harmonic structure has more integrity.
the sonic signature has not changed
best to audition it

another news.
my new mspro keep improving..

Jun 14, 2014 at 2:13 PM Post #57 of 6,729
My PS500e showed up earlier than expected today, I thought they wouldn't be here till later this week, nice surprise.  At first I didn't even realize it was them just because the box was so much smaller than the traditional pizza box were used to.  Anyways I decided to just post some pictures for now then come back and give a review of them after some listening.

Jun 14, 2014 at 2:16 PM Post #58 of 6,729
I just bought my SR125i in May from an authorized dealer. The box is different than the usual box that they used to come in. The cable is terminated to a 3.5mm end. The box says SR125i, and the buttons on the headphone just say SR125. Could mine have any of the sonic improvements of the new e series?

Jun 14, 2014 at 2:27 PM Post #60 of 6,729
I just bought my SR125i in May from an authorized dealer. The box is different than the usual box that they used to come in. The cable is terminated to a 3.5mm end. The box says SR125i, and the buttons on the headphone just say SR125. Could mine have any of the sonic improvements of the new e series?

If the speaker is red then yes it is the new series.

Man I want a pair of GS1000e's so bad... Off topic but how do the GS1000's compare directly to the SR60's?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back